iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mill shed

Started by Ed_K, November 05, 2003, 05:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed_K

Well I finally have a roof over the mill 8).

Now I wish it was bigger an higher :'(. But it's better than being in/under the snow like last year ;D.
Ed K
Ed K

SawInIt CA

Steve_M

I am in the process of planning a shed for my electric WM and Edger.  I am having all kind of trouble deciding how big to make it, where to place doors and how big to make them, how best to set up the equipment to be run by myself or with one helper, and how to place the building on may land.

I know Bibbyman and ElectricAl have simmilar equipment and are under roof---I am going to see Al and Linda on Saturday to see there setup, and pick there brains if I can afford  Al answers.

If anyone can offer advice I could use it---pictures would be great too.

Steve
2001 WM Super LT40 Electric and WM Twin Blade Edger, just a part timer custom sawing and cutting salvage logs.

chet

From past experience I would say built it at least twice as big as you think you'll need.   :-/  Then you'll find it is probably still too small.    ::)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Norm

Well Steve if your going to Al's place according to Patty Al is just window dressing and Linda's the one you need to talk to.   :D

We are also considering what to do with our mill. Right now it's in a 3 sided shed and is no fun to use when it's cold. Al and Linda have a nice setup with heat in the floors.

Al do you also have an exhaust fan to keep the dust down our does your dust collector get rid of most of it?

Kevin_H.

Steve,
I ordered a carport, it is 18' x 26', The woodmizer will just fit under it. It was an inexpensive way to go, kinda temp. but I plan on using it for an air drying shed later in it's life.

The only down side so far is that the company was to be out here yesterday to put it up, so far no show, The nice lady at the 800 # tells me that they are running just a little behind.

Well I guess everyone deserves to get a little behind now and then. If you know what I mean.  ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Haytrader

Kevin,

I know xactly what ya mean. I am shootin for now as then is past tense.

;)
Haytrader

Ed_K

I totally agree with Chet, my shed is 10' x 32' and the carring beam in front is only 5' 6". Forgot to add the 6x6 under the floor, height should have been 6' 6"  :'(.
 Looking towards the next building, thinking either pole building at 50 x 100 or one of them steel huts (half shell).
Need to be fully enclosed and ability to move forklift around inside.
 Ed
Ed K

WoodChucker

If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

ElectricAl

Steve,

Chet is right.......Figure out what size you need then double it. Then leave 60' of clearance all the way around for future expansion ;)

Norm our dust collector removes most of the dust, but some does float around. During the winter all we have to do is open the door and all the dust races out with the heat ::) During the summer we use a 48" high CFM fan to blow the dust out.

When are you going to build that 60 x 105 saw shop for Patty ;D

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Percy

What Chet said ;D ;D. I built this shed in two or three phases over the last couple of years  and will probably add more next year. One thing Ive found  invaluble is having complete 360 degree access to your mill, especially when cutting beams ties etc. You can have logs comming from one side and beams picked up with tractor/bobcat/helper from the end or side. Makes for easy sawdust removal.

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!