iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small hydro-electric system

Started by Grawulf, November 09, 2008, 05:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grawulf

I've looked down through most of the threads and haven't really found what I'm looking for. Any of you have a working hydroplant on your homestead? I have a small stream that runs three quarters of the year and would really like to make use of it. What have you? I understand that a pelton turbine is the way to go on low flow applications. I've been on the Harris hydro site and seen what they have to offer. Anyone else using homemade or preengineered generators?     Devan

sawguy21

Years ago, a fellow I know looked into it here in B.C. He discovered he would have to pay the provincial utility 1/3 the going rate for the use of the river as they have exclusive rights??? He was furious to put it mildly.
The biggest effort would involve building a wheel or turbine. As long as the water current flow is consistent, you should be able to adjust the generator speed with a belt drive.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Mooseherder

Member Tuxedo made his own.
Look at post #11 and #15 of this thread.  I'm sure there is something of value to you in these pages. ;)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,15929.0.html

ErikC

I was raised off the grid and live off it now. My folks have 2 Harris pelton wheels side by side. I think one is the old style with a Ford-delco alternator and the other is the newer permanent magnet type. Dad told me the permanent magnet type makes about 40% more power in the same installation. They have a good water supply and plenty of head, but turn down one of them in the summer so the water can go to irrigation. It is no trouble because they also have solar panels.
  I have a friend who made a setup that worked pretty good. He used an old 16 inch wheel from way back and connected it to a low speed alternator for wind turbines. I think it was a company called wind-blue. He only had it with 10 or 15 feet of fall, but in an 8" pipe that was turned down to 1" at the wheel. I think he used a fire nozzle. The thing worked fine although the power output was  lower than my dad's set-up. We have only solar with generator backup now, but with the year round creek on our property will install some hydro one of these days.

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!