iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 372 Cases built up with eBay seller "Huztl" parts.. a Review

Started by weimedog, April 13, 2014, 07:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

Done a bunch of video's on this saw as it's progressed from concept to work capable saw. SO time to lean on it for a job. A real job, This video is day one and reflections. A couple of interesting tree cut situations. I left most of the trees out and focused on mistakes. Like making the back cut too low...LOL as I got tired that happened. AND a "Split" tree, two tree's grown together. AND a hanger, and my solution. Then reflections on the saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MSatqAIFE
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

schmeg

I watched the video in its entirety. No doubt the saw works good. But one question. Why not bore/plung cut those trees? You would have better control over them, not to mention using a conventional back cut, but starting one side, then working to the other side, you place all the strength of the tree on the uncut side when completing the back cut which when the fibers break, it may cause the tree to fall in a direction that you didn't intend. Not being critical, just an observation.
2023 MS400
2014 562XP
2007 357XP (stolen)
2004 346XP
1997 350
1992 55

mad murdock

Honest, straightforward review, with some good action sequences of the saw. Great job. Thanks for sharing.  8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Spike60

Looked like a great day up there. I should have come up this weekend instead of the week before. H-1 seems to be holding up well. My recommendation of these projects might not go as far as to who should own one and what they might expect from it. I think for the do-it-yourself hobbiest, as an extra firewood saw it's a good alternative. Maybe someone who has some need for a larger saw, but not enough to spend $800+ on a new one. I'd hesitate to suggest it as an only saw though. Even though both your Hutzl and my Forester build are doing fine to date. And the way mine looks, it's a wonder it runs at all.  :) (more on that in a future duiscussion)

We also must include that while those two examples are running OK, we have had other AM cylinder examples that have failed or had flaws that we didn't try to use them. And that variable needs to be in this AM discussion: You'll probably get a good one, but you might get a bad one.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

weimedog

True. Your Forester Build is a smooth running saw. My Forester "PACME" had catastrophic failure.....but it also had significant issues I wanted to work around.... but ultimately could not. First clue's are in that aftermarket cylinder vid I did.....To those new to this conversation;  What Bob is alluding to is the fact that out of the box, the piston ring hung in the intake port, in addition to that blemish on the flange, the intake port/ring issue made this cylinder kit non functional as delivered. I chamfered the intake so the piston could be installed....it still went together harder than I liked. And My instinct was correct as something broke off in there and scored the intake side of the cylinder...its scrap. (A video on the rise & fall will eventually happen)

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Thank You Sponsors!