iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic oil

Started by loggerman1959, December 21, 2017, 06:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggerman1959

Was curious if any of you guys change to a lower viscosity hydraulic oil in the cold months , or do you stay with the same year around ?

ehp

change to 32 oil in winter and run 68 oil in summer is what I do

Skeans1

We run 46 all year long here in the PNW.

Maine logger88

I run 303 in the skidders year round. I've been running 46 in the buncher cause that's what it calls for but I'm gonna find out how it works in the cold I may have to switch to 32
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Southside

What do you mean by "cold months"?  It was in the 60's today, so a bit nippy, but back to the 70's on Saturday - no sense in changing the oil for only a day.... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Maine logger88

Quote from: Southside logger on December 21, 2017, 08:59:12 PM
What do you mean by "cold months"?  It was in the 60's today, so a bit nippy, but back to the 70's on Saturday - no sense in changing the oil for only a day.... :D
Well you don't have to be mean to those of us in the north... lol

newoodguy78

Well said Mainelogger88  :D

chevytaHOE5674

32 in the winter and 46 or 68 in the summer.

Southside

[/quote]
Well you don't have to be mean to those of us in the north... lol
[/quote]

I grew up in The County, worked west of the gates for a while.  You ain't in the north!!!  But I have to say - I don't miss it, so I had to have fun with it!!  ;D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Maine logger88

What part of the county where you in?

Southside

Mapleton was home, but I worked around Daquaam, St Pamphillie, and in The Valley for a while.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Mountain_d

The previous owner ran ATF in my 1978 TJ 230. Not sure how common that is? Anyone use ATF? I guess 32 would be cheaper. I do have a few leaks and you know how much you are losing with the red ATF on the snow  :D Mountain.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Southside

I have used ATF and even two cycle in my fuel for added lubrication and my buncher calls for it in the brake resovoir of all places.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Skeans1

Never hurts to throw a little dye into your hydraulic oil, we actually dye ours red for leak detection. Atf is about 15 weight from memory to give you an idea.

To where atf is used heck the Fabtek 2000 4 roller heads used atf in the measuring wheel for the bearings if you can keep it sealed up.

Maine logger88

Quote from: Southside logger on December 21, 2017, 10:19:17 PM
Mapleton was home, but I worked around Daquaam, St Pamphillie, and in The Valley for a while.
I know that area fairly well I've spent a lot of time hunting snowmobileing and tractorpulling in the county and just across the boarder in NB

coxy

Quote from: Maine logger88 on December 21, 2017, 08:36:17 PM
I run 303 in the skidders year round. I've been running 46 in the buncher cause that's what it calls for but I'm gonna find out how it works in the cold I may have to switch to 32
303 that's all I run in every thing but my 518 tranny I run the cat drive train oil 30wt year round it takes a little while to move when its cold but about 15min and shes ready to go 

Spartan

I run a multi-vis year round.  10-20w hyd/trans oil.

Al_Smith

:D That brings a good laugh .I worked for a rich electrical contractor who could squeeze blood from a buffalo nickle .His line truck broke a main hose,one inch and dumped about 40 gallons of all weather fluid on the ground .When he had it repaired he insisted on general purpose hydraulic oil .It gets or got cold in Ohio during the 80's and he had three journeyman,one apprentice and a crew foreman waiting a half an hour before it warmed up enough to even move the boom .He soon realized the error of his ways. 8)

ehp

ya I have seen cylinders bend the ram from to thick on oil in say 30 below weather , the relief valve does not always work  8)

1270d

We stick with 46 year round.   Don't have a long enough stretch of cold to bother changing over the whole system.

Southside

Quote from: ehp on December 23, 2017, 07:49:59 PM
ya I have seen cylinders bend the ram from to thick on oil in say 30 below weather , the relief valve does not always work  8)

I don't know about these days but 20 years ago it was common in the dead of winter to leave equipment running all weekend when it was -40F or colder.  Would drive by a loader and the bucket was slowly turning circles with nobody in sight just to keep the oil and everything else warm and alive.  Stuff breaks when you let it get that cold and you try to start it up Monday morning. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

deastman

I run Castrol high viscosity dual range 46 in my processor so I can run it year round. I used to run 303 but it took too long to warm up in really cold weather. The Castrol works great in cold weather, warms up real quick and is dyed purple for leak detection. Costs about double regular hydraulic oil but it's high viscosity and I can run it year round without changing it out
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

Skeans1

What do you guys do for bar oil in that cold below 0 weather?

chevytaHOE5674

Run winter grade bar oil. Flows ok when it gets cold. 

Bandmill Bandit

I run #28 year around in the mill Hydraulics and I use winter bar oil in the chain saws.

BUT I dont saw below about -10*C either.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!