iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ash for fence posts?

Started by ray299, June 19, 2016, 08:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ray299

Hi all, I'll be running the first test on my mill this week (hopefully today). I have a ton of ash logs lined up to be cut. I'm thinking of using them for the flatbed of my equipment trailer (replacing the 2x8 pine boards) and cutting some into fence posts.... anyone ever use ash as fence posts? How does it do outside in the elements?

Rickcnc

Is my understanding ash does not hold up well to the elements. Wish it did, I also have a lot of it and would like to use it for an ATV bridge.

marcusb

I have never set ash in the ground. In my area "Ohio" its either black locust, osage or erc that goes in the ground, everything else is considered a short term solution. I'm only seeing 15 to 20 years of service with the locust here.

GAB

ray299:
You do not indicate where you are at in the world so this may not be appropriate for your part of the world.
Here in VT I would use ash for posts if I wanted something that would be temporary or that I plan on replacing on a yearly basis.
Ash is great for flooring or in uses where it is kept dry.  It will not survive for very long in an atmosphere where it is exposed to the elements.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Brad_bb

Use Ash for flooring, furniture, timbers for timberframe. Ash can have some pretty grain.  Nice crotch figure.  It's one of the lighter in color naturally.  Contrasts with Walnut nicely. Standing dead Ash from Emerald Ash Borer is good wood and partially dry making it a bit more stable and dries faster, which is a plus.  You still have to stack and sticker it properly for air drying.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

ray299

Quote from: GAB on June 19, 2016, 08:37:14 AM
ray299:
You do not indicate where you are at in the world so this may not be appropriate for your part of the world.
Here in VT I would use ash for posts if I wanted something that would be temporary or that I plan on replacing on a yearly basis.
Ash is great for flooring or in uses where it is kept dry.  It will not survive for very long in an atmosphere where it is exposed to the elements.
Gerald
I'm in CT. Thanks everyone. I'd rather cut and mill a locus to plant in the ground once than replace it yearly. :) I got access to locust, so might as well use them for posts.

dustyhat

Dont wast your time with ash for ground contact.

ladylake

Ash will work fine for trailer decking so long as it dries out after getting rained on, no leaving moldy hay on it, there are hay racks made out of ash that are over 20 years old around here.  No for post
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Mrbouncyballs

What if the posts were coated with tar, and or place in concrete? Tar only on the part going in the ground.
East PA.
Clay soil.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: ladylake on June 19, 2016, 10:49:54 AM

Ash will work fine for trailer decking so long as it dries out after getting rained on, no leaving moldy hay on it, there are hay racks made out of ash that are over 20 years old around here.  No for post
Ash seems fantastic for many things but why does it rot out in the woods so fast. Even bigger trees ?

SawyerTed

My 02 worth, mill the ash into 4/4. 5/4 and 8/4 boards and sell them to have cash to buy treated posts or trade for treated posts.  

I had some great white oak logs that I milled into lumber and sold it for twice what my fence posts cost.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

moodnacreek

Supposedly if you char ash poles they can be used in the ground.

Nebraska

What Sawyer Ted says, turn the ash to cash... 8)

Walnut Beast

Thanks.  I wasn't cutting up any ash just wondered if anybody knew why it rots so fast compared to other trees in the woods after they die or go down. or even off the ground there toast after awhile. They turn soft compared to many other trees 

barbender

Mrbouncyballs, we've got to get you another user name🤦‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

farmfromkansas

Take it you do not have any Osage Orange trees there?  Here in Kansas, Osage Orange posts last for long long time.  We call them "hedge posts".
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Walnut Beast

Quote from: barbender on May 22, 2020, 01:23:50 AM
Mrbouncyballs, we've got to get you another user name🤦‍♂️
😂😂😂😂😂

Cedarman

ERC, Locust, Osage is like grits on a buffet north of the Mason Dixon.   It will sit forever.  Fungi hate the wood.
Now Ash is like grits on the breakfast buffet down south.  Won't last long.  Fungi love it.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!