iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My First Boat

Started by metalspinner, January 04, 2011, 12:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

Just call me Skipper. :D sail_smiley

I've been saving my pennies and just picked up this little boat today. ;D  Craigslist has been peppered with these over the past couple of years and I just decided to pull the trigger.  This particular boat was not on CL.  I picked it up from a small boat shop.

It's a 1976 14' Aluminum V-hull.

The trailer is much heavier than I've seen on CL for these little boats.

The motor is a 1957 10hp Johnson and runs like a top. 8)

The inside is super clean though it does need a bit of attention.  The trolling motor is kaput and all of the wiring on the boat and trailer need replacing.  I'm picturing ERC for the bench seats and making an ERC grate for the floor.  That should keep our feet out of the puddles.

When the weather warms up, maybe I'll splash a coat of paint on it so we look high class puttering around the lake. ;D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Tom

That's a great find for a fishing boat, Metalspinner.  10horse is a plenty to get you around most lakes and will let you take advantage of smaller rivers and creeks that the big boats can't use.  Fourteen feet is just right for a Daddy and his Boy to use and a Momma can even show up now and again without making it tipsy.

My 14 foot was driven by a 9.5 Evinrude and it took me many a mile on a little bit of gasoline.   When I was a young fellow, down in Ft. Pierce, there was a saying that a Mercury would get you there first.  But, if you wanted to come home, you best have a Johnson or an Evinrude.  :D

One thing that comes in mighty handy on those little boats is a seat with a back on it.

You will find that the ERC grate in the bottom will make it a lot quieter too.

A 5 gallon bucket makes a great sea anchor.

Good Show!

doctorb

Metalspinner

I've got an old Johnson 9.9 hp motor up at our cabin in Canada.  I don't know its age, maybe 5-10 years younger than yours by the look of the cover.  Check to see if the gas tank for the motor has the gas lines permantently attached to the tank - not able to be removed.  If so, these gas cans are getting scarce.  Their seal / gaskets are corroding or dry rotting over time, and, if they can't hold pressure, your motor stops running.  (As I recall the hoses are attached by a flat plate to the top of the can.) I obviously don't know what your motor's hook-up is, but you might perform a pressure test on the can or have someone at a marine repair shop to do it.  (My memory is a little foggy here, the plate may have been welded.???)

I had to buy a used one on eBay when ours went bad (approx. $60).  The word from our marina up north was that the motors run forever, but the gas cans are a continuing problem over time.  The guys at the marina did not consider them repairable, so the only solution was to by a used one.  I don't think that they were trying to get me to buy a new outboard, but you never know!  ;D  What was nice about the used one I purchased was its size....I think it only held 2.5 gallons as opposed to the 5 gallon size.  No need to carry around that much gas with these motors... you could fish for a week on 2.5 gallons, in my experience. 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

What a great fine Chris.  I see many hours of pleasure ahead.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Yes, the old pressurized tanks are getting rare. they actually have two lines, thats a good way to tell what you have. Rather then suck gas from the tank, one line pressurizes and pushes gas up the other. They were done away with because they were deemed dangerous and replaced with the one line system. Around here they used to be in great demand by the demolition derby guys.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

ely

i had/ have an old johnson seahorse 18 hp. that uses that set up. when i got it the tank fitting was trash. i just put a new style end on the fuel side and hooked it to a new plastic tank. drilled a small hole in the new plastic tank and installed a small copper line that would shove up into the air side of the hose. that would pressurize the new tank.

i didnt stop to think that the plastic would not hold the pressure like the old metal tanks. about halfway accross the lake my dad was pointing back behind me all big eyed. when i looked around the plastic five gallon tank would have easily held 8.4 gallons :o

i learned to run the motor with the plastic tank by using the relief valve on top craked just a bit. motor ran fine and you could only hear the hissing at slow idle.

doctorb

From what I can see in the pics, it looks like the two-line set-up.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

You have a great little boat.  8)

I have a 16' footer my brother has taken possession of and I have a 7.5 HP Evenrude. I think it's mid 80's model motor, upgraded from a 6HP Johnson. We used it salmon fishing with an anchor line to drift down through the salmon pools. My tank is one line with a primer bulb. The motor is like new and I have had offers, but not enough. ;D My boat has seen a lot of abuse and is 40 + years old, not as nice looking as yours metalspinner. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Autocar

Are you going to get in the sinker cypress bussiness  ;D
Bill

WDH

Next thing you know, Chris will be on Axmen  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

QuoteAre you going to get in the sinker cypress bussiness

:D  On the test drive, we passed a couple of big 'ole logs in the water.  Don't think it didn't cross my mind. ::)

Doc,
The tank appears to be as you described - 2 lines, pressure bulb that needs to be primed,etc.  But there is a quick disconnect on the motor from the tank.  The tank held pressure while on the ride, but who knows for how long?

What do you guys think is the real danger of this pressurized system?

metalspinner

WDH,
I try to do my best not to show up on the television.  For the most part, I have succeeded. :-X

Jeff

Quote from: metalspinner on January 04, 2011, 06:52:46 PM

What do you guys think is the real danger of this pressurized system?

Explosion and fire. :D  Pressure and gas creates an explosive vapor. Leaks in the system make it available to an outside ignition source.

We ran them for years and never had an incident, and personally, I would not hesitate to run one again. Just make sure your hose and tank seals are in good condition. Cracks and checks in the hose and bulb can't be tolerated. I think the danger of getting stranded from a failed hose is greater then a fire.

Norm

I remember my first boat too, enjoy yours Chris!

CX3

ive dragged a many fish over the side of a cheap little jon boat.  Good luck and have fun and thats a nice first boat. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

doctorb

Never had a problem, and I let my kids use it still.  If you are out running and she starts to miss and spurt, pump up the pressure in the can with the button or bulb(whichever you have) and she'll get you home.  I would not smoke around these units, however.

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

WildDog

Metalspinner congrats on the boat, a good size as Tom said, good to get up those smaller creeks and tributaries.

Pasbuild that video had my wife and I laughing, one of the funniest i've heard in a long time, :D looks like I need to get a Johnson, pitty I don't have a real boat yet, only canoes.

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SwampDonkey

Fishing from a Chestnut, Evenrude motor

Atlantic Salmon

;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

We have some advantages living here, but good freshwater fishing isn't one of them. Other places in NZ a boat like that would be great on the lakes, but here it's open ocean fishing.

Got some fresh fish today from my buddy, but he has a 17ft boat with 120hp Yamaha on it. About the minimum to leave the harbour here  ;)

But for the small lake stuff.  Excellent   8)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doctorb

Swamp-

Is that a Chestnut transom mount canoe?  If so, why are you two standing in it?  I know the beam is pretty wide, but it's still a canoe, isn't it?  Yes, the outboard helps steady it some, but it's still a canoe, isn't it?  If that's you, it confirms every bit of crazy nuance I have learned about you on the FF.   And no, I have no fear of water and swim quite well!  Common sense just ain't that common!  Nice pic though.  Doctorb

SwampDonkey

It's not me, and it is a Chestnut, I was in a Miller sailing on past these guys. We were all on lottery draw to fish here. I was with my grandfather. Yes, this fellow in the canoe down on the motor end is the owner, also a fishing guide as was my grandfather. Not pertinent to this trip, as no guide was needed. Standing in a canoe with a pole was the old way of going upstream in my grandfather's younger years. The danger of falling out is swinging from an anchor point across the flow and striking a rock, or falling asleep in a lounge chair rocking on the keel of the boat. My grandfather did both over the years and he said it happened to him each time (twice) on this river. :D That water is like ice cycles in the summer. This river has about 16 foot deep pools on the river bends. The big salmon only go this far upstream.

metalspinner

Here are a couple of pics from the maiden voyage with the kids.  Yes, they have life jackets on under their coats.  There was a cold breeze on lake yesterday.

Here is the big ole log I mentioned earlier.

These are also pics from my first trip on the Java Uploader.  Somehow, though, all the pics from the browse folder were uploaded.

One of the strange things about this little area of the lake are the houses on either bank.  One side of the lake is Knox County the other is Blount County.  What a difference in property values!

Jeff

doctorb

What are your thoughts on the trolling motor?  Repair vs. replace?  Have you thought about placing a deck between the bow and the middle seat?  Lots of advantages with that including sitting a little higher for fishing, the option of a foot pedal control for the trolling motor, storage under the deck via hatch doors for vests, anchors, tackle and stuff, place to hide the battery for the bowmount, easier step into the boat from the dock, and it's quieter when carpeted.  Not that I'm interested or anything. :D  I am sure your kids were thrilled despite the temp and look forward to warmer times.  You won't regret teaching them how to manage a small craft, water safety, and respect / manners for others on the lake (a lost commodity, IMHO).  Doctorb

metalspinner

Doc,
All that stuff you see on the bow will be scrapped.  The whole boat needs will be stripped down of all its wiring,lights, etc.  The trolling motor is unrepairable according to the boat guy.  He didn't even have one he was trying to sell me. :D  There is an anchore on a little winch which is kind of nice, I guess.

We saw a few fishermen and slowed down (not that the 10hp was going very fast anyway) to keep from disturbing them. The boys saw quite a bit of trash they wanted to clean up, but for several reasons I resisted - weather, no net, no bags, etc.

I'm going to have to take a boating course of some kind so I feel a little more comfortable out there.  There were quite a few bouys that probably meant something important.  But I didn't know their meaning. :-\

Larry

Dad bought a brand new 5 1/2 hp Johnson back in 56.  We used it mostly on the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri.  Rented a boat...at that time most places were replacing old wood boats with new aluminum boats.  Dad always tried to get a wood boat as he said we could sneak up on the big old bass easier due to the lack of noise.  Grandpa always wanted to keep us fishing for crappie.

I gave that motor away few years ago and it is still running.  Best I can remember there was a black button to pressurize the tank but no bulb on the hose.  Could it be that your tank has been converted?

In later years I skied behind a 18 hp Johnson but I was still a light weight kid.  That motor was close to the same vintage but a brown color.  Maybe a 58 model?

I run a 9.9 Johnson today.  It's a 92 model and never had a bit of trouble with it.  Used to have a Evinrude that dated back to the forties.  It ran and I gave that to the neighbor.  Thought he was gonna use it for boating, but it holds up his mailbox out on the road.

Glad to see you and the boys in a boat...your making priceless memories.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Norm

Great job Chris!

I remember my 1st boat too, sure do miss not having one anymore.

metalspinner

With the weather warming up, I've taken some time from the shop and put a little work into the boat.  I've removed everything down to the hull, stripped, scraped, and sanded all the old paint off, and got the hull down to bright aluminum.

My intention was to repaint it, but after investigating the painting process I thought the $200 bucks of special paints and primers could be put to better use elsewhere on the boat.

Here is the boat and trailer after all the above elbow grease...

The next project for the boat is a deck and seating. I need you guys' help and ideas here.

This next picture down shows the inside of the hull and a stick across showing the height of the existing bench seat locations.

This pic shows the stick in the major seam in the hull that seperates the boat's ribbed bottom and the boat sides.

It would be very easy to put a deck into the seam.  My concern is the center of gravity of the boat with a deck this high in the hull. 

Here is a good pic of the seam from the outside of the boat...

Are my concerns unneccesary?

Another potential problem with the deck this high is that the existing seat height locations would give virtually no leg room between the bench seat tops and the new deck.  Clear as mud?

The next option is to drop the deck down into the ribbed bottom.  But you can see in the above pic that the hull curves in every direction and that adds quite a bit more work and will leave me with a much smaller floor area.

What to do???  Does anyone want to share other ideas? 

doctorb

Here are my suggestions:

1). Put the deck at the upper level, not down on the ribs.  Place the deck only from the middle seat forward.  That way, anyone riding with you can sit on the deck and face aft during the ride. Pad the floor between the middle seat and the stern seat to decrease noise.  Place hatches in the front deck.  Specifically, you need one hatch to hold the trolling motor battery.  This should be fairly close to the bow to keep the weight balanced when there is only one person in the boat.  It's great to have other storage for anchors, tackle, safety vests, etc.

2). Think about any electronics you might want before you put the deck in: fish finder, temp gauge, cables for the trolling motor, etc.  Design the deck so that these are easily exchangeable and accessible.

3). You can mount a short pedestal swivel seat through the front deck into the deck where the front seat used to be.  It's great to sit while youre fishing.  This is not a seat to be used when the boat is under power.

I am sure others will throw in their opinions.  Good luck

fishpharmer

Something I would seriously consider when assembling your boat is flotation.  A boat like yours with no additional floatation would sink rather quikly with the weight of a motor, battery and trolling motor.  A wooden framework and deck won't offer adequate floatation.  You will need styrofoam or airtight compartments in the bow (front) and stern (back).   Last time I checked several "pour your own" foam mixes were available.  So you could build a compartment in the back and front, pour the foam after mixing and it will expand to fill the compartment.  Trim it up, put the deck or seat down and your good to go.  You could probably get by with "Great Stuff" if you wanted to be economical.  If you go with the pourable foam mix make sure you put some pvc pipes down under it to allow for drainage.  Also can put in pvc "conduit" for wiring.    I like the idea of a deck at seat level on the front third.  A boat that size may be too unstable if you and your boys get up there, maybe not.

This site maybe useful....
http://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/boatbuilder_s_handbook/flotation_landing.aspx

Hope that helps a little.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

semologger

metalspinner

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

Fish,
The added floatation is definately going to be a part of finishing this thing up.  Under each bench seat were large blocks of styrofoam. In the before pics they are behind the aluminum hanging under the seats.  I will place them back at the least.  But your idea of self pour stuff has me curious.  :P

Doc,
You mentioned padding the floor.  Do you mean with indoor/outdoor carpet?  Or something more paddier? :D

I hadn't considered a deck just towards the front.  An added side benefit to taking out the front bench seat is that fewer passangers can come aboard.  ;)

doctorb

I have seen several differnt products to lay on the bottom of aluminum boats.  Most are simply a thick rubber sheet that act like padding.  Water runs off of it rather than soaking into it, like carpeting.

I feel a little foolish not having mentioned the floatation issue.  There are blocks of styrofoam that can be cut and fit into any under the deck space you have.  Lightweight, and will keep you afloat.

I happen to like to stand when I fish, which is why I prefer the front deck idea.  I have also seen boats that put a short deck from the front seat to the bow.  It allows enough room to stand without taking away "foot room" between the front and middle seats.  If you leave the deck only from the middle seat and forward, you can sit and row your boat comfortably becasue there's room for your feet between the middle and stern seats as you face the stern.

Magicman

Chris, with that rounded bottom, that hull just was not designed for high center of gravity activity.  A flatter bottom would be more stable, but I'm afraid that yours would be "rollie".  You would almost need pontoons attached to the sides.  I would not deviate much from the original design and purpose.

I like the idea of leaving the aluminum.  Special paint/primer is needed for aluminum.  Just give it a good buffing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

I agree with Magicman.  You don't want to encourage too much moving around in that boat, as they can be pretty tippy.  It isn't so much a matter of the boat capsizing as it is of keeping your balance and not falling out of it.  If that boat was mine, I'd screw some boards onto those seat brackets, hang the motor on it and go fishing. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

chain

Your boat brings back fond memories. A marina at a large lake in Arkansas had a boat sale years ago; they were selling lightly damage craft. Our boat we purchased was a 'richline' 16 footer double hull . We used it mainly for duck hunting the backwater of the MS. river. The boat was just right to bust through willows and even ice, ride over jams and cut through soybean drifts.

In later years I rigged the old boat with a middle buster plow in front to bust out beaver dams along drainage canals. That was fun, used a 20hr. merc; would ram the dam then reverse, back up, and ram 'er again, then, ride the 2 or 3 foot 'tidal' wave down to the next dam!  ;D Tough boats!

gary

On my aluminum boat I just went to Wal Mart and bought thier spray paint.  Every couple of years I buy another can and touch it up.

Bro. Noble

Well, I'm like doctorb-------I prefer to stand while fishing.  Course, I don't use a boat.  It is a moot point now that I gave away my cane pole.  The kind of fishing I like to do is no longer politically correct :(
milking and logging and sawing and milking

doctorb

Magicman has a point, but my experience is that the 12' boats are pretty tippy when you stand in them.  The 14 footers have a wider beam, that, in my experience, makes them safe to stand in for fishing.  If you're concerned about her being a "roller", then I would take her out to some shallow cove and stand on the seats.  If you can keep a good balance while fishing, then build the deck.  If you have trouble, then don't put a deck on it at all and stand on a padded floor.

metalspinner

Doc,
That was just my thought.  I will make sure to leave the video camera at home and check the shore line for looky-loos before I get too crazy with trying to see how tippy it really is. :D  That will also give me a chance to check for any leaks since I removed all the paint and junk from the hull.

DanG,
I'm about at that point to just get on with fishin'.  But once it's in the water, I will never get back to it.

Something I've been looking into have been launching practices, procedures, and boat ramp etiquette.  YouTube is full of all kinds of nut jobs trying to launch their boats. :D  I'm pretty sure they covered what not to do at a boat ramp.  Maybe next Saturday I will head down to the local ramp with a thermos of coffee and spend some time observing how the locals do it.  And I will have my camera! :D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Magicman on March 28, 2011, 09:59:17 AM
Chris, with that rounded bottom, that hull just was not designed for high center of gravity activity.  A flatter bottom would be more stable, but I'm afraid that yours would be "rollie".

Especially the 12-14' aluminum models. I've watched fellas use them on the river when anchoring and fishing salmon. They are rockier than a 16' aluminum. Be careful man.  ;)

Magicman

Quote from: metalspinner on March 28, 2011, 12:14:23 PM
That will also give me a chance to check for any leaks since I removed all the paint and junk from the hull.

If you happen to have any rivet leaks, they can be reset.  Sealer usually doesn't work.

Raider Bill

There's a big salt water boat ramp a couple miles from my house. I great time is a 6 pack and lawn chair sitting in the afternoon watching recovery operations. It does get to be quite humorous. If I was a divorce lawyer that's where I'd be handing out cards.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

fishpharmer

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

metalspinner

QuoteIf you happen to have any rivet leaks, they can be reset.  Sealer usually doesn't work.

MM,
I discovered this little product a couple of years ago.  It flows just like soft solder.  It is alloy specific, though, and I'm not sure what this boat was made with.  But tomorrow, I will head out and try it on the boat.  My guess is the boat is 6061.  Or the 6000 series, anyway.

http://www.tinmantech.com/html/aero_solder.php

Bill,

You're too funny! :D :D 

Just last week I watched my neighbor for a few minutes trying to back his new 18' equipment trailer into his driveway.  He is a novice and his wife was trying to help. :D  After watching for fun a little while, I went over and lent a hand. BTW, they are both in their mid-80's.  It's a long story how he ended up with this huge trailer. :-\

Magicman

Be very careful with your heat/torch.  A tiny bit too much heat, and it will fall through.

metalspinner

Yeah,

I have plenty of scrap to practice on. ;)  Hopefully,  will not need it.

fishpharmer

Should be a breeze for a metalspinner. :)

Left Coast Chris

Great boat!   I used to have a 10 hp older Merc. on a 14 ft western.  Very similar to yours.   

All of the input sounds good.  One more thought is regarding the propeller.  I learned to cary a little tool box with an extra shear pin and pair of pliers to get it in fast.  Fast was good in my case because I used it on the Sacramento River where I hit rocks on occasion and once sheared the key heading for a turn in the river.  I was ready to jump clear of the boat but got the pin in and started her back up just in time..... whew... those were the college days.  Might throw in extra plug and a trailer wheel bearing also.

You will have some great fun with that little baby! 

Another fun part..........come up with a name for the boat.  Thats where the boys come in!   Mine was the USS Minnow after Giligans Island...... :) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Norm

Let us know the first time you launch without the boat plug in, even to this day I do it. Nothing like leaning over the motor trying to put it in after your in the water.  :D

doctorb

I think that many boat owners worry so much over their boat, that they short change the trailer.  I would suggest:

1.  Those trailer tires may be original.  If this boat has been stored outside for a long period of time, those tires may have dry-rotted in the sun and be a danger on the road, if you tow at highway speeds.  I would scrutinize them for cracks and their ability to hold pressure.  It's great that you also have a spare tire.  Don't forget to look at it as well.

2.  Wheel bearings.  May need replacement and certainly need grease maintenance.  Use one of the protective caps after you fill so that grease doesn't leak out much into the lake during launch.

3.  Check the height from the pavement to the bottom skeg of the motor.  If the motor skeg is close to the road, then you can drag the motor when towing over bumps and uneven ground.  They make supports to hold the lower end of the motor locked in the up position, to prevent damage during transit.

4.  Buy a new drain plug.  It only costs a couple of bucks, but you'll get a better seal and it won't leak.

5.  Consider a trailer jack if you don't have a conventional jack in your vehicle.  This is a half-mooned shaped metal device that allows you to pull forward with it wedged between the road and the axle of the trailer, elevating a wheel for tire change after a flat.  Thought it was overkill 'til I had a flat 2 years ago.

6.  Docking the boat on the trailer is easier with side guides on the trailer.  They stick up on each side and funnel the boat into position during trailering.

7.  Wiring on a trailer can be a PIA!.  Clean all connections between the trailer connection and the hitch connection with fine sandpaper.  Make sure the turning signals and brake lites work.

Good luck.  Sorry for the laundry list of ideas!

Ron Scott

Good advice, especially on the tires. You may want to replace them with radials if they already aren't.
~Ron

metalspinner

Doc,

1. Check.  Brand new rims and tires.
2  Check.  Bearings repacked and covers added.
3. Will have to look into this.  The motor does lock in the up position, though.
4. Check.  Another backup plug is in the boat's toolbox.
5. I'll have to check if my scissor jack will work for a tire change.
6. I've seen these on other boat/trailer combos for sale. It sure looks like an easy way to load.
7.Check.  My son and I nailed it the first time.  I couldn't believe it! :)

Keep the list coming, Doc. I appreciate the help you've offered thus far.  Just wait till I ask how to catch some fish. :D

WDH

Or how to fix my busted shoulder  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doctorb

Small motor like yours may be OK trailering in the up / angled position.  Larger heavier motors may have issues if not further supported.  Problems arise when you hit bumps, becasue the weight of the engine part of the motor is not balanced with the weight / length of the lower end.  So the motor can bounce, levering on its transom attachments.  Most aluminum boats have a strip of wood attached to the stern to mount the motor on, which occasionally needs replacing.  They make an adjustable length device to go between the trailer and the lower end of your motor to prevent this bouncing and levering.

If you have adjustable skids under the boat on your trailer, you can raise them an inch or so to prevent the lower end from hitting if you trailer with it in the more stable down position.  If it makes docking the boat on the trailer more dificult, then raise the front portions of the skids a bit as well, and put the trailer a little deeper into the water to ease it onto the skids.  I like this solution best and is what I do with my small aluminun boat with a 9.9 on the back.

doctorb

Metalspinner

'Bout time we got some boating stories and an update on your boat renovations, don't ya' think?

whiskers

Repack the wheel bearings. A`lock for the receiver hitch, spare tire and another for the hitch cover may make the difference in who takes your trailer home from the public landing, anything left unsecured has a way of disappearing while you're away. Before launching disconnect the trailer lights, stow the skeg support, install the drain plug, release the over strap and attach a bow launch line. Once you're in the water be certain there are no lines (anchor, bow etc.) left over the side, they'll end up around the prop.  Check the motor's water pump discharge for flow. Check the prop for fishing line. It'll wreck the seal and ruin the lower bearings. If the motor is equipped with a down position latch release it in shallow water, could save you a prop or transom. Your DNR will have a list of required equipment. Lakes are a better place to learn than rivers, current changes everything. enjoy.......       
many irons in the fire.........

metalspinner

I've been out quite a bit, but it seems the trolling motor brings me home more often than not. :D

The motor is currently in the shop to covert it from the pressurized gas tank.  The last trip out, the tank sprung a leak and I made it back to the dock standing in a puddle of fuel. ::) :o

He needs to find a certain plate from a certain year motor to make it work and he thinks it will be difficult to come across.

This guy on You Tube made the conversion and it looks pretty slick.  A $10 fuel pump and what looks like a custom made air intake plate...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suuy-827T78

I will swing by the shop tomorrow to check on his progress as it's been a few weeks.  If he hasn't had any luck, I will see if I can make the plate from aluminum plate like the video guy.

As far as the boat,  it's in great shape.  

I decided to put a deck on the front third by running 8/4 cedar cross members in the grooves on the side of the boat. Then it's decked with 4/4 cedar.  Here's a pick of the deck prior to installing the seat plate...

The boat is very stable when sitting and walking around the deck.  My BIL came out with me once, though. He is a big guy and had to sit in the middle of the boat and not reach out or shift around too much. :D

There are two bench seats - one in the middle and the other at the stern.  On each bench seat I put a seat plate for padded swiveling fishing seats. ;D

Other toys...

Humminbird fish finder
Minkota pedal controled bow mount trolling motor
Hard wired for bow and anchor lights and bilge pump
I made a switch plate with rocker swiches for all the electricals
Too may fishing poles
None of the right lures

We have had pretty good luck catching some nice fish with live minnows, though.  Just this week, we had a nice crappie dinner.  I hooked into a big catfish of about 20# that fed the whole family dinner one night and me lunch the next day. ;D  We had a good time fileting him.  The boys performed an autopsy on his guts.  :D  My wife almost cryed when she looked in the ice chest and saw her dinner still swimming. :D :D :D

All in all, it's been fun.

A good story...

One time out, I pulled on the chord and ended up holding the string in my hand. ::)  After messing with it a bit, I got impatient and just headed out with the trolling motor and spent the afternoon trolling around the cove.  After a while, I noticed a guy put in what must of been a $40,000 bass boat.  It was a sight to see.  Strapped down to the trailer it looked fast let alone when he dropped it on the water.  I was admiring it from a distance as he was getting everything ready  for his day out and felt a bit humbled trolling around on my broken down POS.

He finally got around to starting it only it wouldn't crank up.  He took the cover off and fidgeted around with some things for a while and tryed cranking it again.  Finally, giving up in frustration, he drops the trolling motor in the water and starting puttering around the cove. :D :D  We came within eyeshot of one another, but he wouldn't make eye contact with me. :D :D

Once home from that trip, I practiced replacing the pull chord and made sure I had all the proper tools in the tools box.  I also uncoiled the return spring and practiced that repair, too. That gave me some confidence that I could get'r done out on the water. ;)

We'll talk about the jet sky A!@$%^*+*'s another time. >:( >:(

WDH

Sounds like the Jet Ski Guy got his motor cranked  :D.  Good stuff, keep it coming.

SwampDonkey

Don't worry about the big shot, probably on his second mortgage. I woulda waved at him and his big hulk with a smile on my face. :D :D Too funny.

I have a 7.5 HP Evenrude just sitting around. It's got almost no hours on it at all, way less than 100. I have kept it because one never knows when I might take to urge to go boat'n. Now a days you have to take an examination on boat safety to even put it in the water. Regulators think these things keep idiots off the water you know. :D

You have yourself a nice little boat, although I'm not so sure I would be walking the deck without a hefty fella on the stern. :D ;) That little walk out there can be a little dicey. :D

fishpharmer

MS, the unforgettable memories with your family is really what its all about. The deck looks super.
8) 8)
Keep stories and pics coming., thanks.

Norm

Nothing perturbs me more than being in that secluded cove drowning worms when all of a sudden one of those bass boats comes screaming in full bore. Can you guess where my next cast goes.  :D

Great stories Chris, brings back fond memories. Well except for the bass boat.

Coon

I hear ya on the Boaters Exam there Swamp Donkey.  It's nothing more than a joke.  When I went for my certification it was nothing more than a multiple choice test and any of the questions that someone was unsure about they gave us the answer and explained it to us.  That consisted of over half the test.  Can't remember for sure but you needed either 80 or 90% to pass.  Somehow there were a few that still didn't pass.  :D  And to think that they charged us $60 per person for this.  ::) 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

doctorb

I love the decking!  Nice job MS!  Great little craft.

Swamp + Coon -  I had to get a boater's certification for myself, my wife, and my two daughters just to use our boats up in Canada.  If you fail the test, you just take another.  I saw nothing in the test worthwhile, except maybe the emphasis that you should help another boater in trouble (duh!).  What is really great is the "security" of the test.  You can't have a family member monitor the test to make sure the person taking it isn't cheating.  The monitor has to be from another email address!  Totally a shameless, money-making scam.

Tom

It sure makes one wonder why a fellow can't just throw and log in the water and paddle it around, doesn't it?

It's a good thing there were no boating tests 100,000 years ago.  Man would still be in Africa.

Magicman

The boat decking looks terrific Chris.  Good luck with the motor.   smiley_thumbsup

CLL

Metalspinner, caught more fish in a 16' aluminum boat with a 5hp Sea King(Sears) than any of the bass boats I ever had. Good luck fishing, just be careful in the wind.
Too much work-not enough pay.

metalspinner

Before I winterize my little boat, there is some updating to do... ;D

Because of the way I fish, I found myself walking back and forth from the bow to the stern all the time.  And the middle bench seat was getting tiresome to step over.  The ribbed bottom was also kind of testing my patience because all my stuff wouldn't sit flat and just seemed to be in the way.

So the middle seat came out, and I installed a floor in the bottom.

Each rib was different, so they all had to be scribed to their particular rib in the boat bottom.  I cut and installed the front and rear ribs first and added the center floor board.  That gave me the refrence for all the other ribs and things moved along pretty quick. Under each scribed end, I put a piece of weather stripping that give some cushion to the floor.

Here are all the cedar boards installed...

They extend under the back bench seat but stop shy of the transom....

And a view from the captain's chair...

Fishfarmer,
You mentioned earlier a foam product and I think I will spray this under my flooring for some added floatation.  Under the front decking I have plenty of floatation in the form of about 100 plastic gatoraide bottles. ::)  But the middle and rear of the boat is is need of something.

A couple of other things you may have noticed... A new motor! 8) it's a 15hp Tohatsu with electric start. 

Also, on the front seat, I installed a solar charger for my battery.  It won't charge a drained battery in a day, but it keeps me from having to remove the battery from the boat when I get home to charge in the garage.  I fabbed a couple of aluminum brackets and installed them on the the back of the seat.

fishpharmer

The cedar looks very nice!    I've heard good things about the Tohatsu motors, electric start sure makes boating more fun.   8)

Den Socling

Nice work.  8) I bet you had fun sprucing her up!

WildDog

Looks good, the wood and rubber will go along way to deadening on board noise when fishing :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SwampDonkey

You did a fine job remodeling. :) Be careful out there, I know how tippy the smaller alum. boats were when we used to fish and anchor side by side on the Saint John river. We had a larger boat. Good thing, my grandfather liked standing up fishing sometimes and I think he felt he was still 30 when casting that fly for a salmon. He was always sober, but you know how you start to get unsteady after about 40. :D ;)

Leigh Family Farm

Spray foam can be expensive. If your using foam, I would get block foam from West Marine. Also, you don't need much to keep the boat afloat if its swamped. The only problem with too much foam (blocks or spray) is water logging and that can cause mildew and smells. The stuff I used in racing was ballast bags. They are inflatable bags that provide flotation, can be removed for cleaning, and will keep your whole boat afloat with just two small bags.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Magicman

Your superb craftsmanship and thoughtful planning is very obvious.  It's a shame to have to winterize something like that, but "come on Spring".   :)

metalspinner

Thanks, guy's for the shared excitement. :)

I originally bought this boat because it was inexpensive and I thought it would stay that way. ::) ::) : Yeah, right! :D

At some point, it becomes a point of no return. It's just about how I want it now. ;D  Rod storage is the one thing I keep scratching my head about. ???

Thank You Sponsors!