iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grapple bucket or grapple forks?

Started by alan gage, May 29, 2018, 12:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan gage

Been using my dad's tractor with FEL and forks to move logs around and load them on the trailer. Been working well but last week I bought a used skid loader (2400lb. operating capacity) and I find there is much less roll/tip back. With the tractor I'd fork a log, tilt the forks back, and the log would roll against the back of the forks and stay there pretty well. I have a hard time getting the log to roll back with the skid loader and am worried about them rolling off the front if going down a slight incline.

So I'm looking at grapples and am wondering if I should get a full on grapple bucket like this: 60" Heavy Duty Root Grapple Bucket Skid Steer Attachment 1/2" Thick Steel Frame

Or if I should get a set of forks with grapple like this: 48" Pallet Fork Grapple Attachment Skid Steer Loader Tine Rake Bucket

A friend of mine was clearing a grove last week and let me take some of the logs and borrowed me his grapple bucket to carry them out after he pushed them over. My end of the bargain was also using the grapple bucket to clean up the brush. For this scenario is was the perfect tool but I'm not sure if I'm going to be doing much of that in the future. Most of my use will be around the log yard. I'm using it on heavy hardwoods from 15-34" almost exclusively.

I'm leaning heavily towards the grapple forks because I find it easier to pick up logs with the forks and it would save me swapping attachments when I want to pick up lumber pallets. Just wanted to be sure there wasn't some reason they don't work as well as I think they should. The lighter weight (and cost) is a plus too.

Thanks,

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

mike_belben

Grapple forks are lighter and more sensible for a sawmill.  Brush grapples are for tree service and demo/cleanup.  And theyre heavy.  

It does stink that most of the fork carriage manufactures clone the same crummy design, they dont put any curl back in there and give you past vertical dump angle.. Its stupid.  

I built my first fork rack from a scrapped forklift sideshuttle and had about 30* of curl built in.  But it was too heavy and impossible to see through so i bought a cheap rack and swapped forks over.  Cant curl back at all and it drops logs way too easy if you dont lift way up to get some curl angle in there.  I much prefer to carry them low.  I need to build a pin on thumb for the new set. 
Praise The Lord

Bruno of NH

Go with the grapple forks
Load logs and move sawn lumber with the same unit
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

bushhog920

alan gage

Ok, grapple forks have been ordered. Hope to see them by this weekend so I can use them to get some logs organized.

Thanks for the help!

This thread can now be derailed..... :)

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

mike_belben

Oh perfect, i was just about to ask if that is an NPR or fuso hooked to a trailer in the background.
Praise The Lord

Bruno of NH

The Fuso 4x4 was real popular around here 15 years ago.
Everyone had one.
Don t see them much anymore
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Brad_S.

I realize it's too late for my two cents to be of any help but I would have gone the other way. I have the root rake grapple style and love it! Rather than completely encircle a log with the clamps, I can squeeze the points in the middle of the log and gently lift or gently set it down exactly where it needs to be set.

I also have customers bring in logs in any type of trailer or vehicle you can imagine. That style clamp allows me to grab the end as though it were a huge cigar and gently lift it up out of the bed of whatever they brought it in in.

It's probably a case of whatever you get, it's what you will be used to and it will work great for you.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

bushhog920

Truck in the pic is a 90 nissan ud 1800. Had a 14' box on it and made a 12' flatbed out of it. I can jack knife it step out of the cab right onto the trailer lol only down side this truck will get stuck in wet grass. 

Raym

If you can, cancel your order. I also went through the same decision. Ordered the pallet forks and thought the cylinder was bad since there was no control on the decent of the claw. They sent a replacement and it was slightly better but not much. Returned it and ordered the root grapple. It works flawlessly. The pallet forks are too dangerous to use moving heavy logs. Save yourself some headache and order the root grapple.

I will say that titan distributor customer service was excellent through this process. I was trying to save money and and was asking the pallet forks to do more than they were designed to do.

PM me if you wish to discuss further.....Ray
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

ladylake

Why wasn't there any control on the decent of the claw, seems like a 2 way cylinder should have control both opening and closing.   The downside to a root grapple is you lose a few hundred pounds of lifting capacity. Also try picking up a stack of lumber with a root grapple .   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

alan gage

Thanks for the additional info. Hope I didn't jump the gun.

Brad: I hadn't thought of the root grapple being able to vertically lift logs from a truck box or trailer with sides. That would be handy but so far all the logs coming in have been on my deck over trailer. I guess even on the flatbed I can see where it would make unloading easier when there is more than one layer of logs.

With the grapple bucket I was borrowing last week even without pinching the log with the teeth I was able to put it down gently by slowly opening the grapple so that the log slowly slid down and out. I'm assuming I can do the same with the grapple forks. Not as gentle as what you describe but good enough for my intended uses at this time and much better than tipping the forks down until the logs rolls off, which is what I'm doing now.

Raym: Thanks for the feedback on those particular Titan grapple forks. I hope they have that issue worked out. How long ago was that? I did see they had it billed as "version 2".
Also curious why you say: "The pallet forks are too dangerous to use moving heavy logs." Do you mean pallet forks in general or the Titan ones you got that didn't work properly?

I can certainly see myself ending up with a root grapple in the future as well but for the time being I hope the grapple forks will do everything my current forks do but allow me to secure the log as well. I'll let everyone know how they do.

Alan

Raym

Quote from: alan gage on May 30, 2018, 10:18:00 AM
Raym: Thanks for the feedback on those particular Titan grapple forks. I hope they have that issue worked out. How long ago was that? I did see they had it billed as "version 2".
Also curious why you say: "The pallet forks are too dangerous to use moving heavy logs." Do you mean pallet forks in general or the Titan ones you got that didn't work properly?

I can certainly see myself ending up with a root grapple in the future as well but for the time being I hope the grapple forks will do everything my current forks do but allow me to secure the log as well. I'll let everyone know how they do.

Alan
It was this spring. I just didn't feel as though I had control of a heavy log. I'm sure they would be fine stabilizing brush and such.
Not sure why there was no control on the decent of the claw unless there was a bad batch of cylinders. But like I said the root grapple is the cats meow.
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

Bruno of NH

I have one this style and like it alot.

Bruno of NH

Farma, Ingland and Sundown all make one very similar 

mike_belben

It sounds like there was too much flow volume on that fork grapple cylinder for some reason.  I cant see what could make grapple forks a danger but brush grapple safe.  Have used both.

Ive been unloaded by grapple forks on front end loaders a bunch of times.  If the grapple tips pass right at the end of the fork tips then they can pluck logs one at a time quite gentle like a bypass grapple.   Twice now ive seen the grapple have a round pipe spreader bar as the clamp so nothing sharp is biting into the log and damaging fiber.

Im pretty happy with my stump grapple. Just wish it was on a bigger, better machine.

Praise The Lord

Andries

I like my grapple for unloading from trailers with high fenders.

It also is really good at cleaning up the log yard and has replaceable ground contact points. Excellent for clearing and levelling land.

If I HAD to choose between bucket or forks with a clamp for sawmill use only, I'd go forks. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

. . but my approach to my loader is that it should be able to do a bunch of things.

managing slash, ground crud and branches.

cedar bark is impossible to load with either bucket or forks.

. . . and sometimes that canoe has been in the way one time too many !
;D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Brad_bb

My log supplier is a firewood processor.  He moves a lot of logs in his yard.  He has The Beak attachment and It's pretty slick.  I think it works a lot better than the typical skid steer grapple that has a rake and two top jaws.  He even modified the tip of the top jaw of the beak to be able to better grip small logs (6" and under).  He handles a lot of very large dia logs too.
Skid Steer Attachments - Daniel Mfg. Inc.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

PA_Walnut

I have a grapple and forks...use both ALL the time. I really like the grapple for moving logs and slab wood. As mentioned, a downside to a grapple on a tractor without a lot of lifting power, is that it's HEAVY.

My tractor's a beast. Here it is curling a 38" beech log. You can just make out the grapple pinching it on the back side.  8)

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

scsmith42

I have grapple forks and a grapple root rake, and have also used a grapple bucket.

Hands down, the grapple root rake is my go-to implement for handling logs.  It's like using your fingers to pick up logs, and it's very versatile.  
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

mike_belben

Phew, that was a beech.  

-tractor. 
Praise The Lord

PA_Walnut

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

alan gage

The grapple forks showed up yesterday and I spent about an hour or so moving logs with them. Overall I was very happy with how they worked. I got the 48" version and they worked very well for picking up multiple logs at the same time. Much easier carrying multiple logs with the grapple as opposed to regular forks. If one log was as little off center it didn't really matter. Even if the end log was only part way on the forks the grapple would clamp it in place. It clamped them tight and stabilized the load very well while driving from point A to point B, especially on the downhill section where some logs would have rolled off if I'd had forks alone. It worked for carrying five spruce logs of varying dimensions to just one or two long and large (19"x20') ash logs.

Last night I had the forks set to the same width as the grapple so the grapple didn't contact the smaller logs. Next time I'll change the fork spacing so the grapple bypasses them and see how that works.

When I got done moving logs I grabbed a pallet of plywood and moved it under my new lumber shed. Very nice not having to switch attachments.

Quote from: Raym on May 30, 2018, 03:48:05 AMOrdered the pallet forks and thought the cylinder was bad since there was no control on the decent of the claw. They sent a replacement and it was slightly better but not much.

I see now what you mean. The forks snap open and closed very quickly. Much different than the grapple bucket I borrowed a couple weeks ago. I'm assuming the reason being the grapple bucket had dual cylinders where the grapple forks only have one. I'm hoping someone makes some kind of orifice that can install at one of the fittings to slow down flow?

Alan

mike_belben

The offset clamping is one of a grapples best strengths.  Ya cant always put the machine where the log will balance on open forks.  

Pull the hoses and fittings off your cylinder.  Weld or braze a reducer into the hole.  It could be a roll pin, a nut, a piece of brake line, a washer etc etc.  Just make sure its in there good.  Dont breathe the fumes.. Probably zinc plated. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!