iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are ya'll runnin' ethanol free fuel in your mills?

Started by Brad_bb, June 05, 2018, 07:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

I keep 5 or 6 gas cans that only get non ethanol juice in them for the power equipment around the farm and for the sawmill. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

waynorthmountie

One of the things that we are not allowed up here in Canada. Every pump has ethanol blended gas. :-[

flyboy16101

Ethanol free in everything except my truck. Around here they call it recreational gas and it's in it's own dedicated pump at the gas station. Be careful getting gas from the airport, if you get the wrong stuff it will burn too hot for your engine, and some of the additives might not be good for your seals depending on what they are made of. I also use marvel mystery fluid in everything I own to get extra lubrication on the fuel system.
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

DPatton

Non-ethanol for sure. Usually I try and buy premium 91 octane for my mill, and all my small engines, but I have to buy it elsewhere as my local station doesn't offer premium. If I buy locally for my small engines it's non-ethanol 87 octane. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

ljmathias

Timely topic for me. Just bought a new Stihl weedeater and was talking to the mechanic in their shop about this very subject. In his opinion (for what it's worth), it's not the ethanol that causes problems but letting the fuel sit for a while- oxidation in the fuel tank. He recommended fuel stabilizer to keep it from going bad or gelling. Wish there was some good research on this to find the answer one way or the other...

LJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Larry

Quote from: ljmathias on June 12, 2018, 08:53:44 PMHe recommended fuel stabilizer to keep it from going bad or gelling. Wish there was some good research on this to find the answer one way or the other...
LJ
Research huh? Husqvarna 272XP chainsaw new in 95. Husqvarna 350 chainsaw new in 99. Husqvarna 335LS weed eater new in 07. All get ethanol gas treated with Husqvarna black bottle 2 cycle oil with fuel stabilizer. The weed eater needs a primer bulb every couple of years that might possibly be caused by ethanol. The chainsaws have never had any fuel related problems. In the off seasons they sit for a couple of months without getting run.

Lawnmower, sawmill, and generator all use ethanol gas. I run them religiously the first of every month for about 15 minutes in the off seasons. No fuel related problems.

I think my savings from using ethanol gas are substantial.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Darrel

Ethanol free is about $1.50 more per gallon putting it at about $4.75/gal. I was told by the Stihl dealer that if I used fuel stabilizer I wouldn't have anything to worry about. So that is what I do. I bought the tailgater generator at harbor freight and it says all over the package and everywhere else that if fuel stabilizer is not used the warranty is void. So I figure there must be some truth to what I was told. I hope I'm not proven wrong at some point in the future. Time will tell. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Brad_bb

Leaving gas in anything for an extended period is not good- more than a couple months.  The lighter constituents can evaporate, assuming it is vented, which causes thickening, and if air can get to it oxidation.  Not nearly as much an issue in a closed gas can.  In a saw, weed eater, or mower, try to run them dry or dump the fuel out and then run what's left in the carb out.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

ToddsPoint

I use ethanol because it's 35 mi. to the nearest station that sells plain gas.  If it was closer, I'd consider using it.  As is, I run everything dry every time.  No problems so far.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

tylerltr450

I run AV Gas in just about everything because it truly is ethanol free and has lead in it to help keep the valves lubed up. Chainsaws, Weedeaters, ATVs, lawnmowers you name it i put it in there because I can let something sit for over 2 years and it will fire right up without putting any additive in it.
Timber Harvester 36HTD25 fully loaded
2006 Dodge 2500 first Auto to NV5600 swap, EFI Live Tune by me
John Deere Tractor
Massey Ferguson 711B SkidSteer

Just Right

Quote from: SawyerTed on June 05, 2018, 08:02:37 PM
Ethanol goes in pint and quart jars NOT in fuel tanks!  Sometimes with peach, sometimes with strawberry, sometimes with apple.  Sometimes just corn and sugar.....best with a chunk of charred white oak and aged for a few months.
If your alternative fuel plant is big enough . . . . . . You will have enough to put into gallon jugs!  But I do agree with the corn and sugar!
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

GDinMaine

I use fuel stabilizer in any gasoline besides the car's tank. Never had any issues even with an old push-mower, that just gets parked in the barn when mowing season is over. I just roll it back out in the spring, pull it 3-4 times and it fires right up. 
All small engines get 89-91 octane gas and fuel stabilizer. 

If you really want to be nice to your small engines buy airplane fuel. That stuff is expensive, but keeps a long time.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Alligator

Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

SawyerTed

Quote from: Just Right on June 13, 2018, 07:24:10 AM
Quote from: SawyerTed on June 05, 2018, 08:02:37 PM
Ethanol goes in pint and quart jars NOT in fuel tanks!  Sometimes with peach, sometimes with strawberry, sometimes with apple.  Sometimes just corn and sugar.....best with a chunk of charred white oak and aged for a few months.
If your alternative fuel plant is big enough . . . . . . You will have enough to put into gallon jugs!  But I do agree with the corn and sugar!
Doc Watson used to tell the story about a guy that went into the liquor store and asked for Ole Rabbit.  The clerk said he didn't have Ole Rabbit but he had Old Crow.  The customer said he wanted Ole Rabbit because he didn't want to fly, he just wanted to hop around a little bit......
Pints and quarts are better than gallon jugs.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

Well, I am going to go against the grain here I run 87 E-10 in all my engines and I have no issues at all.  Mind you they don't sit long with the exception of the wood splitter and come spring I will dump in some fuel stabilizer, shut off the fuel supply, run it out, then drain the carb bowl.  Now to really open the can of worms, I mix Wally-world marine injection oil at 32:1 in my Husky 372 saws and my weed eater, again with no issues, and those saws run hard.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WLC

Nice thing about living in Alaska is that we don't have ethanol in any of our gas.  If we did you can rest assured I'd pay the extra for real gasoline especially in all my small engines.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Thank You Sponsors!