iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM vortex bands

Started by PAmizerman, June 05, 2018, 09:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAmizerman

Has anyone tried them?
I saw mostly hemlock. How are they compared to turbos?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

4x4American

I've cut hemlock with them, it was a few months ago but IIRC they cut pretty good.  They didn't clear the dust as much as they advertised but I think they are talking about hardwood in their advertisement.  I cut the hook back to 7 degree and got much better results after I had ran them a first go round.  I was also feeding the snot outta them.  They are kinda expensive though for silver tip stock.  Best thing to do is try a box or a half box of them and see how you like em. 
Boy, back in my day..

Southside

In Richmond a couple weeks back the Indy folks told me they are coming out with a Turbo that has a 1.5" tooth space, maybe it was 1.25" - anyway more than the 7/8", and it really clears the dust out.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

I just ordered 2 to try
I could only get them in 10° and usually dont have good luck with 10°s
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

4x4American

Quote from: Southside logger on June 05, 2018, 11:24:11 PM
In Richmond a couple weeks back the Indy folks told me they are coming out with a Turbo that has a 1.5" tooth space, maybe it was 1.25" - anyway more than the 7/8", and it really clears the dust out.  
It's about time!  
Boy, back in my day..

Bruno of NH

I received 2 i ordered today
Might give one a try in the AM
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

MobileSawMilSlo

Quote from: PAmizerman on June 05, 2018, 09:27:48 PM
Has anyone tried them?
I saw mostly hemlock. How are they compared to turbos?
Hi
I tested this blades year ago. I cut mostly spruce and this blade has to much angle for me. On the knots they do not perform as good as 7 degree blade.
I will try to upload video any will post it here.
Woodmizer LT20 mobile and TTP-600 Premium Plus
DAJK - all sawing equipment in one place

MobileSawMilSlo

Southside

I thought they used to advertise those as being more of a re-saw band, not a primary breakdown design.  In most re-saws the width is a lot less than primary so that might have a lot to do with deflection issues.    
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

MobileSawMilSlo

You are right on this one. But here we do have very demanding spruce and we are dealing with problems how to saw it efficiently. Therefore we tested how these blades are working in this situations. Anyway, I personally chose 7 degree blades, because 4 degree (1 1/4) is not available here in Europe.

Bruno of NH

I never have any luck with 10° bands
I put one of the vortex on cutting wide pine slabs 25" wide and it made great flat cuts.
And they had hardly any sawdust left on the slabs.
I also cheaped out and got the silver tips
I never ran them before.

Southside

Can you get the Turbo 7 there MobileSaw?
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

MobileSawMilSlo

Unfortunately also no. They said that this year they will send it to Europe, but until today no news about it. 

Southside

That's too bad, what about Kasco bands? They have a 7/40 that I understand is very comparable to the Turbo. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

MobileSawMilSlo

I think, that Turbo 7 also would not be good for my sawmill. European version LT20 (USA LT35 for example) has Kubota engine with 23 HP. From what I have read hear, Turbo 7 demands more HP (40 and above) to work well. And also they need higher feed rate, which does not go with spruce and knots.

In few days I will receive my own CBN sharpener and will try to create 4-degree blades from 7 degrees. 

Southside

I do like that LT20 mill you have, looks like some really nice features.  I have a 2012 LT35 with what is labeled as a 25 HP Kohler.  On my edger I have the exact, same 2018 Kohler engine and it is rated at 23.5 HP under the "new" rating system, so who knows what exactly they put out.  I run  Turbo 7's what is for all intents and purposes exclusively now.  I am the second owner of my mill and it came with a mix of 4's, 10's, and 7's.  I was having problems with knotty southern yellow pine and called Marty Parsons, who is my WM dealer and a member here on the FF and asked him what to do, he flat out said buy a box of Turbos, my answer was the same as you said, I don't have enough HP for turbos.  His answer was yes I do, and if I don't like the bands he would buy back the box, he also told me to be prepared to saw a lot faster than I was used to and keep the engine right up to the edge of the governor.  So I tried them - he was spot on right.  

Our yellow pine when clear is a very easy wood to saw, the grain is straight and it cuts nice, but when she has knots - it's a different animal, those are hard, hard, knots.  I also saw a fair bit of white oak which is quite hard all the time, then there is hickory, some say that is a four letter word - all with Turbos.  As long as they are sharp I have zero issues with wavy boards, like any band if they are dull all bets are off.  

These days I am taking a lot of my lumber all the way to a finished, moulded product, so wavy boards are a real issue for me downstream, thus I need to prevent them to begin with. 

Like I  said before I have never run the Kasco, but I can not imagine there would be any noticeable difference in HP demand for the woods we saw.  Now if we were talking about tropical hardwood then that is probably a very different story and I would expect to have problems.  

Member @Cutting Edge is a Kasco dealer and may be able to chime in here with suggestions.  Good luck, I know the frustration of trying to find the right solution.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

petefrom bearswamp

That is a nice looking Spruce log.
I dont have good luck making flat boards on our plantation grown Norway spruce here in central NY.
Got some 20 inch logs 8 or so yrs ago and made a lot of wavy lumber.
This was before the 7 turbo blades tho, which I use now.
The only spruce I saw now is when folks bring me the occasional log.
I sawed some wild grown Adirondack Red spruce about 12 yrs ago with my old Kohler powered lt40 and it sawed OK.
Havent tried the vortex blades
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!