iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oops - whew! everything is okay after all

Started by WV Sawmiller, June 08, 2018, 06:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Had a scare today sawing a big Red Oak log at the upper threshold (32") my mill can handle. I was whittling down the 30" log to something the blade would pass through and forgot how close I was to the top and raised the head past the upper limit. Went to lower it and nothing. I thought there was an upper limit stop up there (And there may be) but tried to move the head down or push it back on to track or whatever was needed. Nothing. I was seeing big dollar signs plus I had the customer and my wife standing there with the big log we had already struggled to get off the trailer and on to the mill. The light bulb went on (or at least flickered) and I checked the 2 breakers at the bottom of the control panel. Yep, that was all it was. Reset the breaker and all was right with the world. I need to keep a defib unit near the mill for times like that to restart my heart. I guess the guys at WM knew we would do things like that and built in the protection for us. Was a scary moment though.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

Can you call WM electrical support when you need to use the defibrillator?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SawyerTed

Ok I'm feeling better about myself.

Last week I had the Simple Set  set up to to cut 6/4.  Got down near the bottom limit and hit the down one too many times.  The head bottomed out.  I went to raise it to make the final cut.  Nothing.

PANIC! Visions of $$$ and repairs.  I called my WM dealer and asked for Tyler their service guy.

He calmly told me to press the breaker.  All was good except for my ego!  :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Dad2FourWI

LOL!!

Our egos bounce back pretty quickly.... the "big dollar" solutions hurt far worse!  :D

LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

WV Sawmiller

TT,

Maybe they can add it as an option. :D I am sure Mike in Indy would really love those calls.

Ted,

I probably did that on the lower limit a few times when I first got my mill but it has been a long time since I tripped one and never for raising too high. 

Dad,

Yeah, my ego has been beaten up so many times it bounces back pretty quickly. My wallet is definitely less resilient. :(
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crossroads

Twice I've had the head at the front of the mill and while doing some other task returned to find the head at the upper limit. The first time I panicked because it wouldn't come down. Then I found the magic button that makes life good again. Still don't know why it takes off headed for the moon without me though.......
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!