iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ez boardwalk 40 log clamps

Started by Bruno of NH, June 09, 2018, 06:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Im looking for close up pictures of the log clamping system on a ez boardwalk 40
I'm sick of the clamps on my mill and want to change them.
I have gotten a price on buying the clamps form Ez and want to see a picture to make sure i can make them work on my mill.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

paul case

There may be aa few others in my gallery which you are welcome to look at. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Skipper11A

Bruno, I don't think the EZ Boardwalk clamping system will work very well with your Thomas mill.  I just measured my clamps and they are 14" tall from the centerline of the shaft.  The bunks are only 1" higher than the rails.  I suspect that your Thomas mill bunks are MUCH taller than 1" above the rails so the EZ Boardwalk clamps will be much shorter than you will want.  Also, IMO the EZ Boardwalk clamping system is less than perfect....The cam type system lacks any finesse and it's almost impossible to avoid over-clamping the log and you'll end up with an out of square cant.  If you adjust them so they clamp less, they fall out of the wood...very frustrating.  And if the cant you are trying to clamp on the bottom has any wane you are just screwed.  My next mod will be to make a screw type clamp similar to Woodmizer's with their aluminum adapters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxdx_7OzdNA&t=617s.

Wait, Bruno, I just remembered why the EZ clamping system won't work on your mill, and your brain is going to have trouble understanding it because it's backwards....The EZ Boardwalk clamps logs on the wrong side of the mill, it clamps logs on the idle wheel side NOT the sawdust side, it's what I like least about the sawmill.  It's a big problem.  Can you rotate the clamping shafts to the other side? yes, but it won't work because....there aren't enough words to explain why but I've been outside with a flashlight three times tonight and I am sure that it won't work.

I absolutely LOVE my EZ Boardwalk, but, like my wife, it's not perfect ( It's okay, she already knows!).

IMO you are considering incorporating the worst of the EZ Boardwalk's design into your sawmill. Don't do it.  Look towards a screw type clamp just as I am.  Best of luck to you Bruno, I enjoy reading your posts.    

Bruno of NH

Thanks for the info.
I realized last night they wouldn't be tall enough.

Thank You Sponsors!