iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new 2011 Timberking 2000 Diesel

Started by maderahardwoods, June 11, 2018, 12:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maderahardwoods

Well it finally happened! I drove up with the family to pick up a 2011 Timberking from Gerard of Joseph's Juniper in Burns, Oregon. Joseph runs an interesting operation harvesting Juniper trees in the Oregon high desert.  

The mill is a 2011 TK2000 with 32hp Kohler Diesel (and setworks) as well as the optional dual axle.  The motor was replaced under warranty a few years back and has about 200-300 hrs on it. I cut a few logs before handing over the payment, all of the hydraulics worked smoothly and efficiently.  

The mill was serviced religiously but needs a good pressure washing and a few consumables.  I was very happy by how she towed, no drift, even at higher speeds.

We got home Sunday afternoon and I wasted no time getting her parked and cutting a log up.  She went through a redwood and walnut like butter, I am currently running a 7 degree blade (that is what was included).

Timberking transferred the SN over to my name,  I must say they have great customer service! They are sending me a hat, manuals, DVD, as well as the Ultra and Ultra Max blades I ordered.  

There are a few modifications/repairs I would like to perform on the mill:

Deep cleaning
Verify blade tracking and belt tension (any tips would be appreciated), any specific model of belt tension tool I should buy?
Lube all points
Move ignition and warning light box to operator control center
Convert to LED lights!
Add tachometer
Add a remote throttle, this may be sooner than later!
Fabricate 1/4 plate wheel fenders, I would like to be able to stand on them for water fills and fuel fill-ups

I paid $28,000 which I feel is fair since the mill had the motor replaced.  I did a lot of research and even older WM and TK's are fetching good money currently.  I am excited to learn the machine and learn how to use the Setworks controller for dropping the head!

samandothers

Congratulations on your new mill!  You will have fun learning how to use it and doing the modifications.  

Magicman

I extend my hardy Congratulations to you (and your family).  It also sounds like you are taking the right steps toward learning and maintaining the "new" sawmill.  8)  I will be anxious to see some fresh sawn lumber.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

reswire

Congratulations!  Good things come to those who wait, and shop wisely.
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Larry

Good choice on the mill.

I fabricated a remote throttle using a HF winch motor.  It has worked well for the past 8 years.  Other members have used a linear actuator which is really the best method.  If the TK remote throttle been available at the time I would have went with it.

Search is your friend and can find many modification tips, a lot done by me.  I consider the 12" hydraulic cylinder on the two plane clamp to be one of the best.  Really makes edging on the mill a whole lot easier.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DPatton

A 2011 TK2000 with a diesel....I think you got a lot of sawmill for the price! Congratulations. Was I seeing double in that second photo?
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

sawmilllawyer

Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

DPatton

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

D & S Sawmill Services

xlogger

I think you got a good buy. TK is great to work with even if you got a used machine. Congratulation
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

maderahardwoods

No sir, the previous owner has twin TK2000's, one was a 2011 and the other was a 2012.  He might sell the second and purchase a brand new mill from Timberking.

Darrel

I've seen your sawmill and have admired the operation there in Burns. Juniper is very dirty & messy stuff to cut so I'm sure the mill could use a deep cleaning. Congratulations and have fun!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

maderahardwoods

Thanks for the warm welcome!

So I was up last night pondering how to add a linear actuator to control the throttle from the operator station.  The photos below show that there are no mounting bosses or brackets I could pick-up from.  It also appears that the throttle cable is missing a mounting bracket, it may have been lost during the motor swap.  

I think the best option is to swap the vernier cable head with a lever style cable throttle, specifically the Oregon 60-522.  I could then attach the linear actuator with a simple clevis to the throttle lever.  I am totally open to any other idea!

CX3

What is the purpose for adding this throttle thingy majig?
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

ladylake

The throttle is so you can slow down or speed up the engine from the end of the mill where the controls are.  Whats that Kohler diesel doing on there, I thought TK ran Kubota . A mill by me has a Kubota on his TK 2000.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

DPatton

Quote from: ladylake on June 13, 2018, 06:25:06 AMWhats that Kohler diesel doing on there, I thought TK ran Kubota . A mill by me has a Kubota on his TK 2000.  Steve
Steve,
The OP said the original owner had a problem with the original motor. The Kohler is a replacement motor.

D & S Sawmill Services

Will_Johnson

Currently all TimberKing diesel mills carry Kubota diesel engines.

This mill was made in 2011 during a time when we were using Kohler diesel engines.

ladylake

Thanks for straightening that out Will. If that Kohler which is the same as Lombardini which don't seem to last I'd replace it with a Kubota  or maybe Yanmar no matter what it takes.  I think a lot of the small diesels use the same motor mounts.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!