iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Entry level band sawmil

Started by Wayne_Stevens, June 12, 2018, 05:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne_Stevens

Hi All, new to the forum today.  I'm looking to purchase an entry level mill preferably on a trailer to stay portable.  I been researching for a little while now and for the money, the Woodland Mills HM126 trekker is looking pretty good.  Yours thoughts on the Woodland Mills line of mills?

I'll be milling mostly fir and some hardwoods.

Thanks

btulloh

I've had the HM126 for almost three years now and it's been fine.  The company has been really good to deal with and the few small issues I've had were handled well and quickly.  I found it to be a good value.  

If you posted some info about what you will be doing and what sort of output you expect or need, you can get some better feedback.  This is an entry-level mill for sure, so it's not going to be appropriate for higher levels of production, etc.  

Good luck with your search and your soon-to-be sawdust addiction.
HM126

ChugiakTinkerer

Also why don't you update your profile to let us know where in the world you're located.  Don't need GPS coordinates, but country, state, and county are helpful.

I'm a low volume hobbyist and I am pleased as punch with my HM130.  If I were milling to make a living I would need something with more capacity and power.
Woodland Mills HM130

SawyerTed

Welcome to the forum.  I don't have any specific knowledge regarding the Woodlands mills.

Some idea about your sawing goals would be helpful in allowing those experienced with that mill to give their perspective.  Entry level usually means more manual features and more physical labor in exchange for lower production than mills with hydraulics and relatively higher horsepower.  Picking a quality mill will allow you better resale should you choose to upgrade in the future.  That's not a judgement regarding the mill you are considering BTW.

Manual mills are best supported with equipment to load and turn logs.  While it's possible to do those things without a tractor/backhoe/skid steer, the machinery makes the job much easier.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

highlandsaw

I have had a HM126 for 3 or 4 years. I am very happy with it.

Loading logs does require some forethought. I have a couple of RR ties I can roll the logs on. Then I welded up some "bridges" I can put in place to roll the logs onto the deck.

Woodland has been very responsive the couple times I have called them for information.

It is a excellent entry level sawmill.

Wayne_Stevens

Thanks for the input so far.
I'm in south eastern New Hampshire but my wood lot is just north of the White Mountains, just over 2 hours from home. I'm looking to mill lumber for a cabin, possibly a timber frame, as well as lumber to rebuild my sugar shack. Not looking to make this a business, just satisfy my lumber needs with my own trees.

Darrel

Welcome to the Foreatry forum Wayne, and good luck with your search. I've only heard good about Woodland Mills. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

thecfarm

Wayne,welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you have a plan.
You will need at least one cantdog or a peavey from Logrite,sponsor on the left. Northern guys,like us, like peaveys,the one with the point to move-roll logs.
Just missed the woods expo in VT. But next year it will be in Bangor ME. A nice place to see sawmills,skidders, wood splitters and bunches of more equipment to do with wood.
Thomas Bandsaw Mills out of Brooks ME might be worth looking into.
How are you going to get the logs to the mill?
I saw and I build. It's slow,I'm a one man show here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

RichTired

Welcome to the forum. I am new here also and there is a wealth of information available.
I have a Wood-Mizer LT15GO that I am very pleased with, as I am just a hobbist, for now.
Very simple to setup and use, and well built in the USA.
Good luck with your selection and future sawing experience.
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Wayne_Stevens

I built a skidder attachment for my ATV that works pretty good for hauling logs. Works OK,  but doesn't keep them totally off the ground, so I would have some dirt to contend with.

sealark37

The biggest part of sawing your own logs into lumber is getting the logs from the stump to the mill, then moving the resulting lumber to a suitable storage spot and drying it.  The mill you are looking at will do it's part.  You will have to do the rest.  Good Luck, and Regards, Clark

kelLOGg

So true, Seal... someone on the FF said that sawmilling is basically material handling with a sawmill in the middle. That's been my experience.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

hunterbuild

I've been using a Harbor Freight band saw for several years now. I love it. Got it for about $1700 delivered to my house. I think you can get one for around $2000 now. I've had to do some mods on it. Just put on a bigger motor, 13 hp with electric start. I have a skid steer from my building days that make working logs so much easier. I can't imagine saw milling without something to handle logs.      

jbjbuild

I own the Woodland Mills HM126 and I'm very happy with it. They have a YouTube channel with lots of videos that might help you with your desision. I have been extremely happy with their customer service. For the price I think its hard to beat unless your needing something bigger.
Woodmizer LT35HD, John Deere 790, Logrite Cant Hook

kelLOGg

I've had my MP32 for 16 years and the only maintenance I couldn't do was re-crown the bandwheels. It has been trouble-free and is a very rugged mill. I just sawed a 32" dia RO 11' long. It was too big to conveniently saw but I (and the mill) did it with no ill effects. Give Cook a look.
Bob 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Wayne_Stevens

Thanks all. I've looked around and have seen most of the ones suggested, but costs seem to be much higher and out of my range. Some others not mentioned do not have trailer models.

Skipper11A

Wayne, have you looked at the EZ Boardwalk, JR?  It's a 30" mill and with trailer package it costs  $4,700 which is less than the HM126 Trekker.  And the EZ Boardwalk is made in the USA.

ksmitchell

I would also suggest the EZ Boardwalk Jr. as well or the Sequoia Mills SM-130.

Wayne_Stevens

Anyone familiar with the Mister Sawmill line of mills? Found them today, never heard of them.

SawyerTed

I looked st their website.  For the price you might look at a more 'mainstream' brand.  Support is important in my estimation.  

I don't know anything about Mister Sawmill brand but it might be important to know you've got support for the long run. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Bruno of NH

Go look at a Thomas bandmill
You won't be disappointed 
E-z boardwalk also 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

I'm in Springfield NH 
You are welcome to come take a look at and run my mill
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Wayne_Stevens

Thanks for the invite Bruno. I may take you up on it. The only mill I've ever used was a Belsaw circular back in the 80's when I was a teenager. Not sure of the model, powered by a handcrank started engine with a flat belt.

fishfighter

Quote from: Wayne_Stevens on June 12, 2018, 10:25:23 PM
Thanks for the input so far.
I'm in south eastern New Hampshire but my wood lot is just north of the White Mountains, just over 2 hours from home. I'm looking to mill lumber for a cabin, possibly a timber frame, as well as lumber to rebuild my sugar shack. Not looking to make this a business, just satisfy my lumber needs with my own trees.

Reason I bought my 126.  Do buy extra track.

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=82663.0

Oh a side note. Loading logs, I use a tractor with home made hay forks or my backhoe.

Frontier_Paul

Wayne I to went through the process of trying to figure out what I needed and what the wallet would afford. I went with the Frontier OS27 which is designed by Norwood but build over seas. I'm in the south and mostly cut pines and oaks. The 13hp B&S engine does well with the thin 144" blade. I got mine with extra track and a 5 pack of blades delivered to the door for 4k total. I cut my trees for my own projects only not to make money. I have enjoyed it I am happy with the machine and the support I get from Norwood. This is all just my 2-cents, good luck cant wait to see what you get.

Paul

Thank You Sponsors!