iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which saw?

Started by Theeck, June 21, 2018, 02:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theeck

Hi everyone.  I am new here.  I have read the old posts to get an idea but I can't find an answer to my precise question.

Anyway:  I have a 130 acres of wooded ground that I have a small cabin on. It is just a hunting/recreation property.  I have quite a bit of pine and white cedar (and way too much hard maple).  Rather than keep paying for wood for my outbuildings, I decided that I want to try an Alaskan mill to cut some boards.  I will mostly be cutting white cedar and it will all be for my own use.  I will not be cutting a heck of a lot.

Right now I have a couple chainsaws that I use for cutting firewood.  I have a Husqvarna 450 Rancher and an Echo 590 Timberwolf (50cc and 60 cc).  I am gathering that I will need something a bit larger rather than burn out my current saws.  

I am looking at used saws and have found Husqvarna 272XP, 372XP and 395XP.  All are close in price.  The saws are all a couple hour drive from me so not easy to go see up close.  I have never used a saw bigger than 60cc and I am wondering if the 395XP would be good for my purpose or if it will be so heavy that it will be unwieldy and impractical for other uses (i.e. firewood).  The wood that I would mill would all be under 24" in diameter.  I would run a 24" bar.

What do you think?  Go big or should I get a 70cc like the 372XP so it is easier to manage and more versatile?  Would a 372XP be large enough for my purposes?  Is there an appreciable weight difference?  

Thanks for the help.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

I think you should ditch the plan to use a CSM and instead a small entry level BSM such as the Woodlands. You'll be way ahead in the productivity area and will also save a lot of money on fuel...

Herb

bwstout

Chain saw mills are a lot of work I started out with one but I now have a band saw mill cuts much faster easier. I would recommend a band saw mill over the chain saw mill
home built mill

Theeck

Thanks but for me it is not for profit.  I may barely cut $2,000 worth of wood so I could buy the wood for less than a bandsaw mill.  I am interested in making some boards out of cedar for board and batten siding on a small barn on the property (maybe 400 square feet).  Also, there is no electric on the property so I would need a gas powered mill.  

Maybe I will just try with the CS-590.  

samandothers

Not familiar with your saws in question.  

As already stated I'd look at a band mill.  Lots of use for wood and much simpler/easier to use.  

I am sure someone that knows saws will be along and answer your question.  

BTW, how do you like the Echo 590?

TKehl

Save the $ and use it to hire a custom portable sawyer on site or trailer to take logs to a mill.

Chainsaw milling for dimensional lumber is like trying to gain weight eating celery.  A lot of work and little to show for it.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

mad murdock

If you are going to mill with the chainsaw, and you can get a 395xp.m for reasonable (600 or so used) you will not regret it. The 395 is not that heavy and is a powerhouse. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

WV Sawmiller

Looks to me like most of the folks with experience consistently suggest an entry level band mill or hiring a mobile sawyer - if that is an option (You did not post your location which would help us in what we suggest).

I concur with the entry level band mill and if/when you finish your projects and no longer need it, sell it - if you can bear to part with it by then. If well maintained you should be able to expect recover most of your acquisition cost.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

AlpineCutter

I tried what you are talking about. I purchased the norwood chainsaw mill so i could cut beams to build a workshop. After 2 summers if milling i purchased a bandsaw mill. Now i'm making some progress and the projects that you start thinking about doing with the lumber are endless. I have the 395xp for the chainsaw mill and love it. I wouldn't attempt to mill with anything smaller. I recommend a bandsaw mill.

Theeck

Quote from: AlpineCutter on June 21, 2018, 05:07:46 PM
I tried what you are talking about. I purchased the norwood chainsaw mill so i could cut beams to build a workshop. After 2 summers if milling i purchased a bandsaw mill. Now i'm making some progress and the projects that you start thinking about doing with the lumber are endless. I have the 395xp for the

chainsaw mill and love it. I wouldn't attempt to mill with anything smaller. I recommend a bandsaw mill.

Thanks.  I'll have to think about it.  I live in an urban area and just use the place for recreation. I don't have a need for a whole lot of wood - just siding for a barn and maybe a couple hunting blinds.   Maybe I'll spring for the bandsaw mill but not until I have a bigger project.  I already bought a Granberg attachment. Maybe I'll play with it on my 60cc and go from there.  

Flyingpig

You can do a lot of work with a CSM, but it is a lot of work! I cut about 1,000bd ft with mine last summer and ya, it basically took me all summer. It's very rewarding work though and you can make some very nice lumber with one, but it is quite time consuming and hard on you and your saw. If you do go with the CSM, get the 395 and learn to sharpen a dedicated chain to use only for milling. A good milling chain literally will not cross cut. At all. But it will self feed when ripping.

Crossroads

I just hope 130 acres is enough to feed your addiction, once you start making boards. 
I've never used a chainsaw mill, but have had customers who did before they hired me. It's fun to watch the look on there face as we're rolling the next log onto the mill and hear them say "that would have taken most of the day with the chainsaw mill". Have fun with whatever you do, but my vote is for the band mill. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

waynorthmountie

I would suggest checking your local pawn shop for a saw. I bought a old Husq that is nearly indestructible and does not have the issues of EFI that the modern saws have.

I also agree with TKehl that hiring someone with a BSM to do the work. For a couple hours of work you could have it all done. It depends what you value your time at.

Ianab

Siding a barn? I'd spend a little more and get an entry level band mill. (Woodland or similar)

Reason is that they have a regular little 4 stroke engine that can hum away all day and just keep on cutting. OK, you might only want 1,000 bd/ft this year. Saw that out in a couple of days even with a small mill, and not kill yourself doing it. Then park the mill up till next year. If you have 150 acres of forest, then you have basically a never ending supply of wood. More projects come up. Have trees, have chainsaws, have sawmill... 

Over the next 10 years that little sawmill will easy pay for itself.  
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ladylake

Another vote for a small bandsaw or hire one. Chainsaw mills  are a lot of work, expensive to run and waste a lot of wood.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Weekend_Sawyer

Welcome to the forum Theeck.

My thinking is, If you want a CSM you should get one! I also suggest you get the most saw you can, you will not regret it. There are some good threads on modifications to the Alaskan, one of the most useful ones is to put some sort of a crank on it to help pull it through the cut. That takes a LOT of the strain off of the operator.

My first mill was a CSM but I wanted to produce more lumber and really didn't know how to use it very well/efficiently. I sold it and bought a bandsaw mill and have no regrets. Love my Norwood!!! ;D

I have recently found a need for a chainsawmill again and am very happy to have them both.

Go for it. 8)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Ed_K

I bought the small Granberg mill attachment to mill logs that are to big for the small mill that I have. I run it with a 372xp w/24" bar. It works but it REAL hard on the saw. On a 60 deg day I had to take a break half way thru a 12' oak log to cool it down, and rest myself it's a lot of work to push that saw. One thing I learned is you need a bar that's not worn much. And sharpen the chain to 5 degs. I don't know how white cedar cuts but on the oak I resharpened the chain after each cut.
 If you can get the 395xp that will be a better option, it will drink some gas tho.
Ed K

Theeck

Thanks guys.  Maybe I'll save up some money and get a BSM.  I am a bit concerned about finding a level work area for it but that may not be too important if I can use blocks to level it.  Thanks again.

Lawg Dawg

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

hunterbuild

You can still get a harbor Freight band saw for $2000. Still using mine for years now. 

teakwood

I hope that i never have to go back to a chainsaw mill!! After 5-6 hours wrestling the 088 and mill around at 31 Celsius it gets old fast.    
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Theeck

Ok, I think you guys have swayed me.  The issue I have is that the property is 6 hours from home (In Vermont) and is a place I bought just to screw around and do guy stuff.  I.e. Fish, hunt, icefish, dirt bikes, ATVs, drink beer, plant food plots, cut firewood, etc.  I bought it 15 years ago and since then got married and had a couple kids.  I don't get up there as much as I used to.  

If I go with a bandsaw mill? I have to store it somehow.   I live in a city. Our family has a cabin an hour and a half from home where I could use it for some projects too.  Are the smallest Woodlands mills able to be broken down and transported easily?  I don't want to have to build a pavilion just to keep the mill under.  

Finally, can you cut beveled boards with a low end model?  

I could buy a lot of cut wood for the price of a mill.  I just have to figure out if it is a worthwhile investment.   My inclination right now is to use it for a couple years and sell it when I have cut what wood I need.  

Theeck

Quote from: samandothers on June 21, 2018, 03:47:13 PM
Not familiar with your saws in question.  

As already stated I'd look at a band mill.  Lots of use for wood and much simpler/easier to use.  

I am sure someone that knows saws will be along and answer your question.  

BTW, how do you like the Echo 590?
Sorry, I overlooked your question.  I really like the CS-590.  It is the biggest saw that I have ever owned so I don't have a lot of experience to compare against.  For $400 new, though, it is the best saw that I have owned in this price range.  I like the Husqvarna 450 too but it has significantly less torque.   

goose63

Theeck I have the woodland 126 on a trailer that I made when you are done just take it to the cabin

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

PC-Urban-Sawyer

You should be able to cut beveled boards using a Woodlands by making a simple gig...

Thank You Sponsors!