iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Short logs on a 2005 LT15

Started by firefighter ontheside, August 16, 2018, 05:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I've done numerous searches and learned a few ideas, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for sawing a 40" log on an LT15.  I can put it on the mill and hit two side supports, but I will only hit 1 clamp.  I need to invent some kind of clamp for the other end of the log.  Long term I will be buying new style clamps and then move the older ones to the ends of the bed.  I'm needing some kind of solution for this weekend.  Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

btulloh

I would think 1 clamp would get the job done as long as it's hitting two backstops.
HM126

Magicman

My LT40 does not have but one clamp which is ~centered between the side supports.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

My clamps are right in line with the side supports.  It would not put any pressure on the other end of the log.  In the future I may install another clamp that is centered between 2 supports.  That may work, but in the short term I need to come up with something.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

I have made many cuts without the log clamped at all.  Sometimes all that it needs is just a bit of support to keep it from turning.  I would try btulloh's suggestion.

Also you could try laying a board or timber beside the log that both clamps would reach.  You could even nail through the board and into the log for added support if you wanted to.  A half inch of nail into the log should be enough to stabilize it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

The guy said it's 24 inches on the small end, but only 40 inches long.  Maybe I will do as you guys suggest and just cut it in two cants and flip right away.  I can lift the top one off with the tractor and then flip the bottom one.  That will be more stable on the bunks.  Then I can slab them.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

The way that I learned to do it on the LT15 was to just say no :).

Short logs can tear up your equipment.  Don't ask me how I know this.  Not worth it for someones's pseudo firewood log unless it is family or friend.  

This is what one guy brought me :-\.  I eschew short logs that do not fit between the clamps.  

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

Thanks for the caution Danny.  I'll consider that.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Smithkp

I have a new LT15 Wide and the clamps are located in odd location and are of no help with shorter logs, especially it the log is curved or has a crotch. I remedied this by cutting and keeping a 4x4 to lay against the side supports edge plates to clamp against. It is no fun to have a short log decide to move in the middle of a cut.
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Water Dogs

That is same way I do it SmithKp. Long piece of ply wood on deck and 2 2x6 long boards log is in the middle. This a practice piece of fire wood my friend gave me I had other plans than to burn it up .

Wallys World

Make a short log holder like this one.

Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Magicman

Sometime sawing short stuff is worth the effort.  I sawed this for my long lost friend and FF member @Dodgy Loner.

Smithkp

Glad to see I am not the only one who will saw a 1 foot log. I just gotta know what is on the inside and those short pieces sell pretty fast.
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Magicman

It is fairly well known that I am in the sawing business so if a customer has something that he wants sawed....I will saw it.  ;)

btulloh

Quote from: Smithkp on August 17, 2018, 01:45:13 PMI just gotta know what is on the inside

Me too.  

I usually find something interesting.  

Then I swear I'm going to stop messing with short logs.

Until the next time.
HM126

SawyerTed

I saw shorts on an hourly basis with a 1 hr minimum.

I like sawing short logs because handling is easy, clamping is the challenge.  If I have to build something special to clamp a short log, that's billed hourly.

So in the end, I advise a customer to bring plenty of short logs because it will cost as much as $150 for the first hour of sawing. That's a subtle way of discouraging short logs from the casual guy wanting to build knick knacks from the gum tree tha sprouted next to the a/c unit....
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

firefighter ontheside

I'm gonna go out there and see if I can come up with something for it tomorrow.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

Well,I had a great plan on how to cut the short log.  I was going to clamp some 2x4s to the frame and not use the steel back supports.  I got a 2x4 and drilled holes in it to fit over the log clamps.  Then I ran some lag bolts thru that to be able to dig into the log.  As it turned out, we hit 3 nails while sawing the first 2 logs and the guy didn't want to risk buying anymore blades.  He left the short log with me.  I will probably risk the blades at some point.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

If I can clamp it, then I will mill it.  Usually folks will have one or two pieces from a home place or some special place and want it milled to make something to pass down to their family.  I like helping out, but as stated above, hitting nails takes the joy out of it.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Crusarius

Quote from: Wallys World on August 17, 2018, 12:05:28 PM
Make a short log holder like this one.

Wally, I made something similar but with only 1 bar clamp in a frame that the log sits on . When I am cutting my log flops like crazy. Does yours?

I have actually revised my design 2 times and still not happy with it. Currently it sits in the corner waiting for me to decide what I want to do.

bwstout

This may not be a solution for you but when I built my mill  I have three bunks that are a foot apart this lets me saw bowl blanks from the butt cut offs I can cut a 2' block. My mill is labor intense ;D "manual"
home built mill

slider

Lynn Dodgy Loner is not lost. I met him at Jakes project this year and the pleasure was all mine.

WDH is correct , just say no. I just cut a dozen cookies this after noon for a friend after saying im done with cookies.
al glenn

Brad_bb

It's not unusual for me to cut a 5 footer and curved on my 2014 LT15.  Two backstops and one clamp on the front at all that's needed for the first cut.  The saw will drive the back end of lot against the backstop.  

Once you make your first cut, you can flip your log and either use the backstops at a lower level, or not at all and use the steel nubs on your cross bars.  Removing the first cut and putting the log flat face down will usually be good enough to hold with the nubs.  If not, take a second cut or cut down to the backstops and then flip it.  Sometimes if you have a branch knot or something sticking out the drive side, you might have to use a scrap 2x4 to space the log away from backstop a little or jammed between the nub and log.  You'll get the feel for doing shorter stuff, and what you have to clamp and don't have to.  Watch your feed speed as it affects how much pressure is driving the log towards the stops.

Also get a metal detector/garret security wand to find those nails before your band does.  Have a sharp chopping axe to quickly expose the nail to remove it.  If it's walnut, I'll do this and keep going.  I fought an Ash log last winter that has 22 nails scattered all around and up and down the log.  No pattern.  It didn't beat me though!  I had to do a lot of chopping, but I won.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WDH

I have never won when there were 22 nails :)

Thank You Sponsors!