iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got a case of the shakes!

Started by Novascotiamill, September 04, 2018, 04:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Novascotiamill

so i decided to sell my mill to upgrade to one on a trailer with somebhydraulics. Made the deal yesterday and the mill is sold with pick up on the weekend ,I decided to clean up some stuff laying around to mill some boards for siding while the mill was set up. 
 I milled this big hemlock and slabbed the top portion for a couple countertops . The butt section was the largest piece ive tried on this mill so far. I was happy with the quality of boards,nice and knot free,until I saw thay were all splitting when I tossed them on the forks of the tractor.
 Before I milled the log I cut the ends and the grain looked nice and tight with no apparant seperation.
Oh well im still gonna use them for siding the shed long as they dont develop anymore splits in the next couple weeks.

2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

moodnacreek

Try to saw parallel to the cracks. Also put stickers all the way to the ends even if they don't line up and if not a lot of boards pile in a high narrow stack. this is what I do and it makes better lumber especially in summer.

Chuck White

Hemlock will do some "not so funny" things once in a while!

Congratulations on the mill upgrade!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Solar_HoneyBee0

Nova,

Serious question what are your thoughts on that mill? I posted awhile ago that I was looking at Hud son, Woodmizer, and Peterson sawmills. I changed my requirements slightly and added a few other brands with Woodland being one.

Anyways, did you like the saw? I see lots of positive reviews. Was manual just a pain for you? Any serious Cons that you might not see, but only find out from operating the mill after some time?

CX3

John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

ladylake

I don't think that's shake which would be a circular crack all the way around and yes you should saw it so  the crack only  ends p in 1 board. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Novascotiamill

I flipped the cant around and it did eliminate some of the splitting .
 Yes thats my dog,long haired german shepherd,he does resemble a small black bear when hes coming thru the woods.
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

Don P

Looking at the end of the log and the wood beside the crack it does look like bacterial wetwood all in that log.

Thank You Sponsors!