iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hackberry

Started by D6c, November 02, 2018, 11:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

I've got a small stack of hackberry that's been drying for a year or so.  Is there much value in it or should I just saw it up into stickers, which is what I was thinking of doing?

I planed up  a few pieces....not really my taste, but didn't know what it's usually used for.

YellowHammer

Spalted hackberry sells to woodworkers. It's not in high demand, but sells.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Larry

I like hackberry if it is sawed the day its felled and dried properly so it doesn't develop stain.  I've made several projects with it but could never sell the lumber.

If not sawed and dried promptly, it goes through a really ugly dirty grey stage where its only use is pallets or such.

Later it develops nice black spalt lines and can be sold.  An Amish wood dealer shows up at all of the area woodcarving/woodturning shows with lots of spalted hackberry.  It usually sells good.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

D6c

Well, the small stack I had is now stickers. The quality wasn't  the best, but quite a bit had black lines which I guess is spalting.  The logs had been dozed out and layed quite a while.

xlogger

Is hackberry harder to saw after it lays around for awhile? I pickup up a log that I was thinking about cutting into live edge slabs but was thinking maybe if I put it back in the woods and left it along for few months or so maybe it would spalt. This is my first hackberry. 
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

Spiral grain, warps bad like sweetgum.  In the elm family. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

D6c

Not difficult to saw but tends to warp, especially bad around branches.

Thank You Sponsors!