iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taperlock bushings

Started by Danny_S, June 11, 2003, 06:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny_S

Hey fellas, need some tech info here, I bought a taperlock bushing for one of my bandwheels and the wheel has 2 threaded parts and the bushing only has one. The guy said that I only need one to hold the bushing in place.

The theory behind them is that the screw expands the bushing right?? But I wonder about alignment..... it seems as if it should work but then again, it seems like it should have 2 screws.........any one else deal with such??  
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Neil_B

The ones I've bought have always had 2 or 3 bolts for them. The idea for a taper lock is the bushing is tapered and as it draws into the wheel, it tightens onto the shaft and inside of wheel. So actually compression instead of expansion I guess. I would think that the 1 bolt would do the trick but would also be worried about stripping as you would only have that one to take the full brunt of the torqueing in of the bushing. You should have got a torque rating with that bushing so I would make sure to be close to that.
If it looks like it's drawing in a bit crooked you could always TAP the opposite side with a small hammer but not too hard or the wheel will crack if it's cast.

Hope this helps Buck
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Tom

Those I've used have 4 holes. Two in the taper don't have threads and they line up with the holes in the wheel that have threads and that's for pullng the taper into the wheel.   The other two holes have threads and line up with an area on the wheel that has no hole.  When you screw the bolts in they push the taper out of the wheel.  I've never used one that only had one bolt.  It seems like it might bind the taper.

D._Frederick

Buck,
 Without seeing the design of your bushing with one bolt, I would question if it would clamp the wheel  true to the shaft. With the 2 and 3 bolt bushing, you can use a dial indicator on the rim of the pulley to make sure it is true while torqueing the bolts.

sawmill_john

Buck, The guy you talked to has never put one togather, the single threaded portion is used to remove the bushing and pulley, the two threaded portions are for holding the two togather, I'll make a quick scan and post it.

I hope this helps,
John  

Danny_S

AHHHHHHHHHH !!!   :D :D

There is 3 half-holes, one is threaded on the bushing. That is for pulling off. The other two tighten, they just ripped me off a setscrew!!  NO wonder I was baffled!  It didn't seem right for only half threads though,.. I would have never have thought that would be how it works. But now I see it perfectly!  

Thanks for the feedback guys, this is a great place for info!
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Thank You Sponsors!