iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hour meter on wm lt/28

Started by caveman, September 20, 2010, 09:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

We recently purchased an lt/28 wm.  Most of the maintenance schedules are based on hours of use.  Ours did not come with an hour meter.  Are most of the mills with hour meters hooked up through the ignition switch?     
On another note, I milled some sweetgum for a guy today.  It was cut down several months ago.  It produced some good looking boards with some spalting--he plans to make toy boxes out of the wood.
Caveman
Caveman

paul case

the meter on my honda engine has its own battery i guess and is hooked to nothing except the wire wrapped around a spark plug wire.pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Chuck White

On my mill, the hour meter is hooked up to the Ignition Switch.
I advances if the switch is in the "on" position or in the "acc" position.
I added a tach to the engine a while back and that also has an hour meter in it, and it has it's own battery.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sparks

If you have the electric power feed unit you can tie it to the on/off toggle switch.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

caveman

Thank you for the info, Sparks.  I had thought about wiring the meter in line with the power feed assuming it just needed a 12v power source.  Sometimes I forget and leave the power feed on a few minutes while the engine is not running but that should not be a big issue as long as I do not forget to turn it off for an excessive length of time.  I guess I will order an hour meter and install it where ever it seems easier (ignition or power feed).  The main reason we want the hour meter is to keep up with the scheduled maintenance.  A secondary reason is if we ever decide to sell the mill.  This is proving to be a great site for me to learn from all of you.
Caveman
Caveman

Chuck White

Quote from: caveman on September 21, 2010, 10:54:17 PM
The main reason we want the hour meter is to keep up with the scheduled maintenance.  A secondary reason is if we ever decide to sell the mill.  This is proving to be a great site for me to learn from all of you.
Caveman

Two real good reasons to install the hour meter Caveman!

Check out www.surpluscenter.com
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sigidi

Dunno if its the same for you guys over there but here, we can just buy the hour/tacho at local mower shops and 10 min you'd be installed on ya saw???

The one I have on Bo Derek and had on Larry seem easy enough to install. big down side is the unit is sealed, so once the battery goes you have to start the hours all over again, but I got 6 nearly 7 years from the one on Larry and she was still workin when I sold him
Always willing to help - Allan

flibob

When I picked up my 28 in april I asked about the hour meter.  My trainer looked at the wiring on my machine and said the pigtails are all there so a WM hour meter should plug right in.  Have I done it yet.... ah ...no.
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

Thank You Sponsors!