iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberking 2000 vs Woodmizer lt 40 super

Started by homesteader shane, June 12, 2012, 10:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

homesteader shane

I had to go back and look at all my post and Meadows Miller sand it in a post along time ago

"I dare say you will be toting something alittle bigger in the future mate"

I started a portable sawmill business and called it Mumby Mills, well it got busy. With people doping wood off(winch I did't expect) and the site jobs  I'v been working a lot more then I ever expected to. Now I'm starting to think I might upgrade in a year or two. My little mill is great and I wouldn't trade it for all the tea in China but with being mobile  it just too much work. I done a job with an older fella and he had a hard time keeping up and by the end of the job I felt bad for the guy.
I think I would like to upgrade to a hydraulic mill. After some reading and internet research and long distance phone call I'v narrowed down to the TIMBERKING 2000 on the WOODMIZER lt40 super.

I like the Timberking 4 post design  and the overall simplicity of the hydraulic system compared to the electric system of the competitors but they are  a bit heavier( I'm not sure that's a bad thing)for towing and theirs not as many of them around the countryside

The Woodmizers are a lot more poplar in Canada and are lighter for towing but I'm still not sold on the mono rail design and with living in Canada I' worried about all the electric components in the wet and snow.

We Have a big sawmill show coming up in the next few week and after talking to both reps, both company's will be their with a demo. If I we see them in action it will make the decision a bit easier.
If anyone has theses mills I would appreciate you opinion on them

Cypressstump

Sounds like the demo will be very worthwhile for your decision making between the two.

I would really love to be able to see these two mills side by side in such a demonstration.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

ladylake

It's hard to beat the TK 2000 , heavy duty upright log stops, heavy duty chain turner, simple trouble free hydraulics, easy to work on  and priced good.   Also no problem putting a 36" log through it with 16" above the blade and 32" between the guides.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

nas

Shane, I had the same thoughts when I upgraded.  I found a used LT40 for a good price two years ago and haven't regretted my decision to buy it.  Look around for a used mill on Kijiji.  There is usually a few on there.  I'm sure the TK is a good mill, but I can guarantee you cannot beat woodmizers service when you need it.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Kansas

You can put your mind at ease about the monorail design. My guess is they are easier to set up portable, they don't flex, are stable, provide better access to the boards if you are pulling them off the side. I am sure either choice would be fine. But the monorail is a non issue, if you are worried about stability and strength. Long as your not Wood-Mizer pulling one to a show and get T-Boned, which I believe happened recently, you won't have to worry about it.

Magicman

The monorail design concerns are mainly in the minds of non-WM owners, but since you have them, I would simply recommend that you actually put you hands on both sawmills.  This will give you the confidence that you need before you actually spend your $$$.  Your decision does not need to be based upon anyone's opinion other than your own.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Magicman nailed it.  Nobody but you can make the decision you'll be happy to live with.  I've seen both and they're both good mills.  I bet you're looking forward to comparing them in person!
     Don't buy manufacturers' hyp.  It's just hyp.  Every company does it.
     You're portable; how easy is the mill to set up?
     Are you looking at setworks?  Is one easier to use than the other?
     Will one mill be closer to "exactly what you think you want" than the other, without mods?
     Customer support really is very important.  Talk about it extensively with both companies.  And again, remember that hyp is hyp.  Go with your gut on that count; other peoples opinions are going to be biased.
     Either way you're gonna make a sizeable investment.  Do your homework and make as sure as you can you're making the right decision for you.

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

paul case

Quote from: nomad on June 12, 2012, 08:11:52 PM

Don't buy manufacturers' hyp.  It's just hyp.  Every company does it.
     You're portable; how easy is the mill to set up?
      remember that hyp is hyp.  Go with your gut on that count; other peoples opinions are going to be biased.

Not all companies do it. It makes them look better than a company that cuts down someone elses product. Just remember that if someone will cut down someone else in front of you, when you walk away you may be next. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

customsawyer

All I will add is that I have had 3 Woodmizer mills and my next one will be the same. I can not give Timberking a thumbs up or down as I have only seen one of there smaller mills in action. I think they make a fine mill or they wouldn't be in business as long as they have. I just know that Woodmizer does all it can to keep me cutting wood. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WoodenHead

Hi Shane!  It looks like you're from Ontario as well. 

When I was looking for a mill, I actually liked the features of the TimberKing better than the comparable Woodmizer.  However, what sold me on the Woodmizer was the service.  TimberKing doesn't have the same presence here (Ontario) as Woodmizer does.  I would suggest visiting both locations if they are not to far from you and you'll see what I mean.

I never had any concerns with the monorail design of the Woodmizer.  Seeing the 4 post design of the TK didn't change my thoughts on that.  But, you do get a lot of mill for the money when it comes to the TK.  And TK actually could provide me with a product that WM could not.  I originally wanted a mid-range manual mill powered by an electric motor.  In the end I got a diesel instead.  I'm happy with my mill and the diesel engine, but I would be even happier if it was electric.   ;) 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Well I'm gonna step up to the plate and tell you like it is.

Before I bought my WM LT 40, I had 2 friends that had mills. One has a Timber King and the other, rest his soul, had a Woodmizer.

I worked around both of these mills for years. Both the WOODMIZER and the TIMBER KING are DanG good mills. I have watched both mills spit out board feet, lifting logs, flipping logs, returning boards and the hole nine yards.
Both of my friends were very honest with me with all my questions.

Long story short....WOODMIZER'S customers service is the best when you need a friend and an extra hand.

Something to THINK about!

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bugdust

I agree with anyone who is convinced they have the best mill. I wouldn't want to try to change his/her mind, especially after the purchase has been made. For a fact, time will tell if they made the right decision. All I can say with confidence is my favorite color is orange, and that's all I've got to say about that.   smiley_tom_tutnurhorn2

Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

fstedy

Both machines are very good at what they do, but when it comes to routine maintanence the WM schedule is much more intense. As far as the customer service goes WM has a great reputation but you need them more as its a more complex machine.  The new B2000 has the widest thru cut of any I know of at 32" most of the others are about 24-28". I have owned both an LT 40 Super and the TK B20. Personally I prefer the TK for its simplicity and low maintainence, hydraulics, bidirectional chain turner and the ability to use all mill functions after the head is 5' down the track. Look at both machines and the maintanence manuals then make your decision.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

hackberry jake

The old ford Chevy debate. It boils down to, if you own one, that means its the best.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Brucer

Quote from: homesteader shane on June 12, 2012, 10:54:42 AM

... I'm still not sold on the mono rail design and with living in Canada I' worried about all the electric components in the wet and snow.

I can't comment on the TimberKing.

- I ran someone else's nine-year-old LT40 hydraulic for a season in 2004.
- I bought a manual LT40 in 2005 and ran it "part time" for a year.
- I upgraded to an LT40 hydraulic in 2006 and have just passed the 2000 hour mark.
- The average annual snowfall in my neck of the woods is 3.5 metres (11').

All the "problems" with the monorail design exist only in the imaginations of people that have never used one. That older mill I ran in 2004 was poorly maintained and had pitting on the rails. The head would bounce around as you backed it up or approached the log. The instant the blade hit the wood the head became rock steady and cut a smooth, flat surface.

I've had only one problem with the weather affecting the electrics. Twice now (in 8 years) I've had the contact shoe ice up in the winter and not supply enough current to power the hydraulic motor. The 30 second fix was to take a piece of 1" wood and press it against the shoe. I leave my mill outside in the rain and snow and it has been working just fine.

In short, the monorail and electric-over-hydraulics are non-issues.

As to which mill you should buy -- "The best sawmill for you is the one that suits you best."

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

xlogger

I've had both WM and TK both are great when you call on phone for help.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

BBTom

If you want to try one, I have a 2001 LT40 Super with about 5500 hours and over a million BF on it.  You can stop by, try it and see that even an old used up WM still cuts great lumber with speed and ease. 

I don't have a TK mill, but my WM does off feed to a TK edger.

2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

SPD748

I got over the whole "monorail = weak design" thing with this: The four post head may look stronger, it may be stronger, however there are many millions of bf taken from those beautiful orange mills that all say the monorail works... exceedingly well.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

medic

Shane - Go to the Ontario show.  Get the reps from both companies to let you run the mill you're interested in.  They are both good mills, they will both take big round ones and turn them into small flat ones but in the end it comes down to which mill YOU personally are most comfortable running. 
Good luck, have fun.
scott
Retired Paramedic, TimberKing 1400, Logrite cant hooks, old MacCullough chain saws.  Too many projects not enough hours in the day.

Misfit

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but I did notice something....... in all this discussion, no one mentioned either Baker or Cooks who both make mills comparable to the LT40 and TK2000.

I know the original question was about TK and WM but I kind of expected that any owners of Bakers or Cooks might have added comments in support of their mill choice. Just curious......
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

SCsawdawg

I learned to saw on a lt40 that had been sawing good lumber for 20 years.  I now own a tk2000 and was one of the very first people to purchase that model, so
I have been somewhat a Guinea Pig for tk over the last few years.  Overall TK has good customer service and have warranted parts that I never thought they would or should have due to my own mistakes.  There are a few things I would and have changed on the mill, but they have been minor.
Both cut straight lumber if they are set up and maintained properly.  Do not get hung up on 4 post head/monorail etc.  The larger distance between the guides and the bidirectional turner have been the largest advantage for me on the tk.  I have found that the tk design is so simple I can find or easily make most parts locally.
My advice is to look at your budget and compare the features you want.  Either saw can make you money.  Just remember the more bells and whistles you get the more you will HAVE to maintain.
TK 2000, TK Talon Edger, New Holland L555, Massey 35, about 10 minutes of spare time and 5 minutes of sanity left

ladylake

The TK 2000 should be compared to the LT50 with both have a chain turner and upright log stops.  Also hasn't WM come out with a hydraulic feed option which I think is a move in the right direction.  That being said there a quite a few mills that will saw good lumber with a good operator and proper maintance.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Bibbyman

There was a time when I'd have to say something. But you guys are doing a great job.

I'll just add, I've never ran a mill with a chain turner but I've never felt the need for one. The two-plane clamp can be used for a hundred things, including rotating a log in the reverse direction.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

redbeard

Having both a TK chain turner and WM two plane clamp would be nice. The nice feature with the chain turner is you can use it as a clamp also and it works good for leveling the face against the log stops or facing the blade. Sliding the log or cant side to side is nice feature also. It dose mar up the finish a bit  if your aggresive with it.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Will_Johnson

Just a slight clarification: the TK 2000 has both a Bi-Directional Chain Log Turner and a Two-Plane Log Clamp (in and out and up and down are hydraulically automated.)

Thank You Sponsors!