iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need portable sawmill

Started by keloo.comly slagle, March 07, 2013, 11:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keloo.comly slagle

Looking for portable sawmill 3000 or close.  Ben logging 23 years moved to southern half of state 80% of stuff junck. The rest is pretty cant stand to push in pile and burn. Whant help not to burn it limited funds im a logger!

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
We'll be interested in what you have going on. Where abouts you located?
You said you "moved" but in what state?
We like pics and pull up a stump, and find out more about what mill you might want to get.

Have been a number of discussions going about similar interests. Maybe some of those you have read already.  Or not?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

keloo.comly slagle

northern mn to southern mn cover the southern half of state now.  Enviromentel work mostly state fed. No time for private, but VA qualified me four bunch more contracts. Just cant stand to waste some of this wood.  I Would of killied four some of this stuff 10 years ago up north. I dont want to make money frome it just not waste it

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. Check our for sale section here on the forum.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Hello    keloo.comly slagle, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

kello,who will be logging when you are sawing? Are you thinking about selling lumber? That can be kinda hard in some places. What's the plan for the mill? I hate to see trees  wasted too. Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dboyt

Keloo, welcome to the forum.  You already know logs, chainsaws & equipment, so you're way ahead of the curve.  Click on any of the sponsor links to the left to get an idea what's out there.  I've been very pleased with the capability and performance of my manual mill. I hate to see logs go to waste, and mill up a fair amount of urban logs (nails and all), as well as blow-downs and some logs left behind by logging crews (got some nice walnut & cherry crotches that way). Local woodworkers like them, but I don't know that it can be much more than spare time for fun and profit unless you get serious about setting up a web page and take credit cards.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Satamax

Keloo, since you are a logger, you might have access to old chainsaws, may be huge ones? Why not cobble up some sort of chainsaw mill for the moment?

HTH.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

keloo.comly slagle

Hey thanks all this site is great. Dont want to make money off this deal .Just hate to waste good wood. Going to saw lumber at night weekends for fun wife says i work to much!

Ianab

Well most of the band mill manufacturers on the sponsors list can hook you up with a small "hobby" sized mill for not much over $3000. Or you could fine something used a bit bigger for that sort of money.

Most of those small mills are just the sit on the ground type, not truly portable, but because they are pretty might you could move them, or mount them on a normal trailer to make them truly portable.

Not high production machines, but will cut good lumber as long as you keep them running right. For the scenario you are talking about, dragging home a handful of interesting logs and slicing them up after work, ideal.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

francismilker

Go as big as you can afford.  I never have learned that advice myself but I've given it many times.  Welcome to FF!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, keloo.comly slagle.

I'm pretty sure you'll find what you're looking for here!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

samandothers

Welcome Kello

Look forward to reading about your progress on the mill and with your logging.

Thank You Sponsors!