iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting the Mill at the Wilson County Fair TN Fri

Started by just_sawing, August 14, 2014, 08:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

Adventures at the fair with our Sawmill
I thought I would chronicle the week at the fair this year.
My wife and I decided about eighteen years ago to give back by moving the Mill to the Fair for nine days and just saw. This was started after a boy who came with his father to pick up lumber looked at his dad and stated "I thought 2X4s came from Walmart"
We made a call and was told come on. The first years was with a non-Hydraulic LT40, Then a Super LT 40 and now a LT70 all WOODMIZER.
The first problem we found was that since at that time I worked public work also I would leave work and go straight to the fair. We weren't flush with money "It's called raising kids" so Mom started cooking my supper right there at the fair. That grew into a full fire box and other Vendors enjoying a home cooked meal.   
In 2002 we had established that we would be there so people that don't live near us would bring logs to the fair so some years I did not even need to bring Logs. I started sawing on Friday at the start and noticed that the POW WOW was not a happy lot. Friends there that were wonderful artisans had not sold anything. Mom and I decided that this year we were a little better off that instead of having a little paycheck for demonstrating we would put everything back into the food and a least our friends would eat. The more I cut the more she cooked, at one evening she feed over 70 people. Oh by the way this was the year after 911 and yes people were still effected. At the end of that year we had still had a profit in sawing for the week and had cemented on-going friendships.

More to come
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

SawyerBrown

smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping

Looking forward to following your posts!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Bill Gaiche

Glad you are back at the fair. I remember when I was there a few years ago to visit with you that there are a lot of people that enjoy what you do. Have fun and put a smile on someones face by cutting some non Wal/Mart lumber and feeding a hungry tummy. bg

thecfarm

just_sawing,you all are doing a mighty fine job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sixacresand

I think sawmills at the fair are the coolest thing. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

just_sawing

You can follow me at

drobertson

You get a saw dust pile with a youngster nearby, and they will find it for sure, heck I even like playing in it!  thanks for showing your part of the world. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

It is fun, And you meet a lot of people :D :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Nice pictures there Peter. I like the thin saw job.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Great story Just_Sawing.

It's very obvious that you've made an impression on the community!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

wolf nemeth

Hey!  I'm just down the road from you!  What is your swaing schedul;e for the rest of the fair? (This is Friday pm Aug 15)
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

just_sawing

Now it is Friday morning, last night ended about 1:30 PM. Having a daughter with a severe Nut allergy is also one of the reasons to cook over the campfire. Well the ice cream to end the night also put her in the emergency room. This all has ended with her home and all is well just a little sleep lost.
Now for sharpening some old blades. Woodmizer is gracious to send some Blades for displaying their Machine but the wonderful stack of wood provided on the half also have some wire. So suspect logs use an old blade and is I cut wire a least I have also already sharpened them once or twice, save the new blades for safe wood.
You can follow me at

Magicman

I was sorry to hear about the "misadventure with the Daughter, but I have enjoyed following along with your fair sawing and cooking  stories.  I have done a few demo sawings and they are very rewarding.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rooster 58

I was at the Armstrong Co. fair on Thursday, but there were no sawmills :(

rooster 58

I did speak to a gent who refurbishes and sharpens old crosscut saws though ;) It was interesting talking to him and learning about a fading part of history ;)

beenthere

Would be great to get this gent to get on the Forestry Forum and post a primer with pics on how he refurbishes and sharpens old crosscut saws. That would help the "fading part" and give several of us something of interest.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

just_sawing

I just ruint a young bo at the fair. He got up in my lap and we loaded logs. His father is active duty and I wounder how he is going to move the equipment to come.

This is a little W4 case. Old but servicable
You can follow me at

Thank You Sponsors!