iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

About the last thing I sawed was the inside of my left index finger on a table saw.  Had a nice wide carbide blade.  Its healing up pretty good.  I believe I will still be a banjo picker.  smile_banjoman Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

Never ever take pickin' lessons from @paul case !!  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Busysawyer

Finished up my first kiln load of walnut and put it in the solar kiln.

Cut a really nice load of my red oak for the other kiln.

Then I cut a few large logs for a customer.  Some oak and cherry. They had been laying for a couple years and were junk on the outside but found a lot of pretty wood on the inside.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Crossroads

Looks like you've been busy beaver, nice pile of boards. 

I can't seem to land a job this month, people are calling and kicking tires, but nobody is scheduling. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

OffGrid973

Went outside today and all I did was unload the last of the trailer...the chaos starts tomorrow and I can already feel the cedar itch on my entire body.

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Busysawyer

Between building kilns an sawing I've been overly busy. Wife started keeping track of my hours a few weeks ago and told me last week i worked 98 hours. Trying to start this new business is kicking my butt. I've had two small jobs for other people and both were referrals, past customers of my uncle when he had his cooks mill. 

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Busybeaver on June 09, 2018, 09:34:36 PMWife started keeping track of my hours a few weeks ago and told me last week i worked 98 hours. Trying to start this new business is kicking my butt.

Make sure you're spending some hours with her. It's easy to lose sight. Ask me how I know.:-\  Happy wife=happy life. :D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

DPatton

I got a late start this morning and didn't get started sawing before 10:00 am. I fixed my electrical glitch I was having with my setworks and finally got to turn some ash into boards for my drying shed. The wind was blowing pretty hard straight into my face while sawing and my decision to wear a sleeveless shirt was not my best choice today as the sun was intense. Managed to sticker a small stack of nice ash boards in the shed.

br>

For an ash log it had some real nice grain and color.

br>
Z

I cut it all into wide boards for the sheds siding and edged all of the side material like these below too.

A

With the wind, sun,and heat all working against me, I called it a day early with a mere 339 bf. I placed a locust log on deck and positioned another on the loader arms before heading home to the AC. Sure don't get much production without your tail person pulling boards and stacking. Maybe I'll sweet talk her into helping me tomorrow.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

paul case

Quote from: Magicman on June 09, 2018, 07:32:32 PM
Never ever take pickin' lessons from @paul case !!  :o
Watch them saws want yer fangers. Lost my thumb to a saw one year and 3 days and 11 hours ago.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Banjo picker

Sorry to hear that Paul.  I am glad that all I lost was a little chunck of meat and a fraction of nail.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on June 09, 2018, 05:09:36 PMHere are some natural edge slabs off the first 8' log:

Jim Rogers
I sold that wider slab in less than 4 hours. If you guys aren't using facebook marketplace you could be loosing some sales.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: paul case on June 09, 2018, 11:11:31 PM
Quote from: Magicman on June 09, 2018, 07:32:32 PM
Never ever take pickin' lessons from @paul case !!  :o
Watch them saws want yer fangers. Lost my thumb to a saw one year and 3 days and 11 hours ago.
PC
Yeah and now when he talks in sign language he speaks funny too. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DPatton

I finished up a few locust logs this morning and threw a small hedge log on the mill just for fun. Here is the squared up cant on the mill with a few side boards getting edged too.

br>
A

The bright yellow color is so different than most other varieties and the wood is tuff as nails. It was such a short small log I just made some small boards for hobby and craft type stuff. I will sticker and dry these in my basement at home for future use.

br>

Then I got the mill ready for travel and pulled it just thirteen miles to my brothers farm where this stack of logs have been waiting a long time for me to cut them. I will mill the pines in the near stack for use as wide vertical siding boads on my drying shed and the far pile of ERC logs will be sawn and stacked in the drying shed for future use.

br>

It's forecasted to be 101 degrees today :o :o :o so I kept the work day limited till 1:00 pm before I headed for home to the A.C. My son has a 5:00 pm baseball game today and he will likely do some pitching. We will be there to watch him play but I'm certain the heat will be miserable by then.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

D & S Sawmill Services

Busysawyer

Cut some white pine for board and batten on my solar kiln and cut a little poplar as well.

DPatton

You are a Busybever indeed. Kilns are looking good. Being it's Sunday did the wife reset your work time clock for this week? ;D ;D

D & S Sawmill Services

Busysawyer

Thank you dpatton. I'm not sure when she starts my work week since I've been at it 7 days a week for about 3 months now. I've always worked a lot  but this has gotten out of hand. I've been thinking about the fact that I've been working too much and I miss my family time. I'm going to try and take pa walnuts advice and slow down a little.  Not so much for the wife's sake, she misses me but we still have our late dinners together and get an hour or two of time every night. She is very understanding and supportive and says one of the reasons she was attracted to me was because of my work ethic and dedication to being succesful. What I'm really missing is my kid time . We had boy and girl twins on Halloween last year and baby boy just started crawling and girl isn't far behind. These two are kid 9 and 10 for us and will be my last kids. The 6 months to two years has always been my favorite time with the kids and I'm really missing a lot more of it than I'd like. When life is all said and done no one ever says they should have worked more and spent less time with family.

petefrom bearswamp

Just finished up the 9mbf of White pine I bought last fall.
got 6mbf of Hemlock coming this week.
I have a 5mbf order of Hemlock lumber to saw from the Hemlock, the WP is for stock.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Yes you did Pete.  Now aren't you glad that you did not "hang it up"?  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on June 11, 2018, 06:44:16 AM
I have a 5mbf order of Hemlock lumber to saw from the Hemlock, ...
What does your customer use the Hemlock for? 
I have Hemlock all over the place, most of which has died from the Woolly Adelgid.  I hate to see so much resource rotting away but every time I cut it, regardless of how I cut it or how big, it always twists and turns into almost useless wood.  
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Busybeaver on June 10, 2018, 10:11:01 PMWhen life is all said and done no one ever says they should have worked more and spent less time with family.

Words of wisdom for sure!! I suspect that during the entire history of human existence, a man never uttered the words, "I wish I had sawn one more log." while on his deathbed. :D It's very easy to loose sight. I recently read something on here that struck me kinda profound, "Gathering memories in life is far more important that gathering possessions." It's a good re-aligment challenge for me!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Magicman

Those are the reasons that I will not be sawing this week nor next week.  PatD & I will be spending some quality  time together.  :)

Lawg Dawg

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

SawyerTed

Quote from: PA_Walnut on June 11, 2018, 08:00:26 AM
Quote from: Busybeaver on June 10, 2018, 10:11:01 PMWhen life is all said and done no one ever says they should have worked more and spent less time with family.

Words of wisdom for sure!! I suspect that during the entire history of human existence, a man never uttered the words, "I wish I had sawn one more log." while on his deathbed. :D It's very easy to loose sight. I recently read something on here that struck me kinda profound, "Gathering memories in life is far more important that gathering possessions." It's a good re-aligment challenge for me!
I just parked the sawmill for the next month.   I will be volunteering at the Cape Lookout National Seashore.  It is a three week adventure.  My best fiend and bride of 33 years is going with me!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

petefrom bearswamp

Yes Lynn I am glad I am still at it as I would rest out before I burn out.
I have 2 brothers and they, ages 79 and 69 still work at what they like to do every day.
There was no laziness in my family.
Especially i would miss the forumites and THE PIG ROAST  and also a good number that have been banned for whatever reason.
As for the Hemlock use, it is used for construction dimension stock and siding boards and battens, general construction uses. It is very strong stuff.
My Hemlock here dries straight and flat in the covered stacks, but once in a great while I have to give a board to the customer that doesnt make spec.
Nice lookin slabs Lawg dawg
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Crossroads

I really like you mill shed law dawg. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!