iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Should have ordered the FAOs with my LT35

Started by DanMc, April 21, 2024, 02:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanMc

I just spent the last hour (that's all I'll admit to - I spent more than that) futzing around getting my LT35 levelled.  And yes, I'm still learning.  I find the stock outrigger "jacks" to be just a little bit better than worthless.  End do end, it's not hard to get the stock outriggers set, moving the head up and down.  But I had to lift the rail-side wheel about 3" off the ground to get the bed close to level using a hydraulic jack.

I would expect that the WM FAOs have enough guts to lift the side of the mill, and would eliminate the need to go grab a floor jack.  Yes?  It's an ACME thread in there, so that can lift a lot.

At this point, I don't care what they cost.
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

Ben Cut-wright

Your numbers seem to indicate the mill is set up on a grade that is near or over max mfg recommended. The " rail-side wheel about 3" off the ground" would put the deck pretty high, no matter which side the tire was that high off  the ground.  If the tire was hanging from the springs that would put the deck much higher still.  I've never encountered a situation which made that necessary. 

It's rare but I have had to dig the outriggers in, so there might be cause to excavate for the tire.  Gotta make a plan that works best for  the grade you have to work with.  If one side will require excessive elevation accommodation, that's gonna affect what must be done so the other side won't be out of reasonable working height, yet stable. If you put the landing gear on one side down with no forethought to the other side, then add in extra surface grade, you get side to side or end to end extremes. 

For me, the loader side is most important..to keep in mind. The arms need to be fairly level with the grade when they are down. So I begin with some notion of how to achieve that goal.  I don't set the loader side landing gear first to dictate the rail side height.  Only to get an idea of where the rail side needs to be in relation to the loader side. Keeping the end goal in mind.  First the main rail must be supported properly.  End to end is easy if grade the length under the mill is fairly level  If not, that may present the need to "average" the heights of the deck to level with the grade while keeping the loader side in mind.  Getting the loader arms where they need to be as the deck is leveled is primary for me.  They are the "control" points and the other points must be manipulated to keep the control points of the loader arms where they need to be. 

All sides should be averaged so as to bring the deck into a reasonable working height and degree of level and...result in proper loader arm position.  Some experience with terrain and the primitive landing gear should  make your struggle seem minor.  You can use dunnage, shims, and the handy bottle jack, as well as a small mattox to correct a bunch of tough terrain slope, if that spot is the only place you have.

Another factor to keep in mind is, all landing gear must be below deck cutting height when the deck is level. This may limit landing gear adjustment of dictate excavation.  Whatever it takes to get that deck at working height while keeping the loader at proper position.

20 minutes is my best (setup and begin sawing) time. I confess it's taken me more than an hour to get the mill situated like I wanted in a poor location.  Never regretted a moment of the extra time though.

barbender

If you're fighting your jacks that hard, you're doing it wrong. If you need to bring the loader side up 3", you should put 3" of planking down first and roll the tire up on them. Short of that, you can use your best friend/worst enemy, gravity, to your advantage and let the weight of the head help you run the jacks up. You can balance the head so there is zero weight on the jack you are trying to work.
Too many irons in the fire

ladylake

They should come with FAO, couldn't cost much more.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Your outriggers are stabilizers, not jacks.

Your first order of business is to level it side to side with boards under the wheel before you unhook.  2X8's or preferably 2X10's are the best for this.  They need to be long enough so that you can place your wheel chocks fore & aft.

Your wheels should remain in firm contact with the ground to serve as additional means of stabilization.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ben Cut-wright

Seems to me that raising the loader side tire that much could cause the lift arms to be well above grade. Mine will only go down so far before the loader side tire interferes with more travel. If his situation is the tire hanging by the springs 3" above grade after leveling, the deck had to be raised even more than 3" on that side.  I wouldn't want either side to be that high.

Magicman

It is not unusual to need to dig trenches, etc. for the loader arms and/or feet to settle into.  That is just part of the setup on uneven ground.  I do not know when nor why the loader side would ever be high because logs don't roll uphill.  At least I do not set up that way.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen1

You are trying to be perfect to set up the mill when you do not have to be. End to end is the critical as the weight needs to be on the ends. The mill is crowned in the centre, so that the log and the head will flatten as it saws the logs.  The 4 centre jacks do not have to be load bearing. They are stabilizers. Hammer some wedges under them after sawing a few logs to take some of the weight. The tires need to be on the ground supporting the mill. 
As MM stated 2x10 are perfect for side to side levelling under the wheels and I like mine to be high on the loading arm sides so the log rolls to the back stops. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Ben Cut-wright

Pardon my lack of "quote".  I was replying to the comment regarding " If you need to bring the loader side up 3", you should put 3" of planking down first and roll the tire up on them'.

The OP apparently attempted to raise the "rail side" high enough to bring the deck level with the loader side as it sat at grade.  Anyone who has operated a walk-along mill at that much extra height on the rail side will quickly see why I won't set up like that.

WoodMizer specifies a max of (10 degree) incline/slope/scalar, which is (17.6%) grade, and (one foot in 5 1/2 foot) gradient/vector.  I've done all the digging and blocking I'm gonna do in places that were half that steep.  BG

DanMc

I just ordered the FAO kit from Ross over in ME.  $1395.

I did have to dig in a little for the loader feet, especially to get them both in contact with supporting ground.

MM's point that the mill can be backed up on to blocking to level it out side-to-side is like a big duh for me.  Why didn't I think of that?  I learned a lesson here.  Nothing can substitute for experience.  Also that these are STABILIZERS, not intended to be JACKS.

I would have dug in the uphill side for the wheel too, but there's a big flat rock at the surface right where that wheel is sitting, and it must be at that spot to line up with the logs there on the ground.  I have a very small area of "level" ground, with no room for a machine to move logs.  My tractor with forks to offload will have to be up at the end by the hitch.  These are my logs, at my home, not something I would want to be doing at somebody else's site.  But it's good experience. 
LT35HDG25
Jesus is Lord.

Ben Cut-wright

The outriggers are used for making coarse "jacking" adjustments of the sawmill.  "Lift the weight from the locking pin using the jack
handle. Pull the locking pin to release the outrigger and lower the outrigger as necessary. Secure with the locking pin." 
"Lower the outrigger" means the mill is elevated by jacking the outrigger down

The operator manual instructs to use blocking in order to "always make sure the trailer (IE: tires) is supporting the sawmill frame when operating a sawmill with adjustable outriggers."  

The FAO's provide (1 1/2") fine adjustment.

Another caution regarding the loader when setting the mill:  If the loader feet are positioned below parallel with the deck, there is a tendency when lifting very large logs,  for the feet to cause the mill to elevate and shift towards the loader side.

DanMc

Quote from: Ben Cut-wright on April 22, 2024, 10:36:31 AMAnother caution regarding the loader when setting the mill:  If the loader feet are positioned below parallel with the deck, there is a tendency when lifting very large logs,  for the feet to cause the mill to elevate and shift towards the loader side.

I was wondering whether it was possible for a big log to create instability in the mill.  
LT35HDG25
Jesus is Lord.

Magicman

Not in the sense that I am interpreting from your question.  A big log ain't gonna turn it over, but a big log rolling across the sawmill bed and hitting the side supports will shift the sawmill toward that side.  Especially on a big job, I will have to readjust the outriggers.  I have had the sawmill to almost "walk off" of my leveling boards and have to use the outriggers to raise the wheel off of the ground to reposition the boards.  2X10's give you some "wiggle room" which is why I prefer them.

I have also had the customer to use his loader to shift the sawmill tail end back toward the loader side.

Ben Cut-wright

The loader arms should remain as high up as possible but out of the head travel until there is NO chance of rolling off.   This doesn't mean until the clamp is holding the log.  This caution is probably known by everyone here, but I never miss an opportunity to point it out.

WV Sawmiller

I try to make sure the logs a e level or uphill from the loader arms. I will sometimes lay a couple of pieces of dunnage or slabs down to make a tract to toll the logs on. Normally I have to put 2-3 1X boards down under the rail side as mentioned earlier to raise it. It does not have to be level just straight. Of course if it is not level front to rear your power feed works harder and the head may want to roll back on its own. If it is too far out of level side to side it may put more strain on the debarker too.

The hardest part is lifting one end of the mill when you already have the jack down at the other end (DUUHHH) but nobody ever tries to do that. :uhoh:  I make sure both ends are tight and take my Jack rod home with me as a security measure to harass thieves.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

CCCLLC

WVS, good tip on the jack rod going  in the truck with you. Simple and easy  theft stop. Not just any steel rod will work. Most are soft.

Thank You Sponsors!