iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cookie Experiment

Started by WDH, November 15, 2017, 08:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I drank to much clear and did the reverse roll on the ground.
Thanks Yellow Hammer for showing me how.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Andries

Quote from: WDH on November 16, 2017, 07:21:21 AM
Since I am an Admin, I think that I will delete this post.  And delete a few of you as well  :).

Start with that POSITRON guy.
Drinks clear and then keels over, all proud of his 'ray fleck'.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

dsgsr

Would banding the cookies while they dry stop or minimize the cracking? Just a thought.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

YellowHammer

The cracking is due to shrinkage, and there's not a lot that can be done although there are some factors that can mitigate it. 

I always like to visualize what's going on, so a few years ago I ran a little test.  I took a poplar cookie, and made a single handsaw cut from the edge to the center.  As the cookie dried and shrank, the saw kerf opened up, and eventually ended up in this Pac Man shape.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Savannahdan

Add the eye (painted black) and paint the rest yellow and you'll have a sure money-maker.  Great experiment.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

WDH

Banding the cookie does not eliminate the stress.  The outside of the cookie parallel to the growth rings (tangential) shrinks about twice as much as across the rings to the pith (radial).  This differential in shrinkage is inherent to the wood, and no amount of banding or weight will overcome those forces.  The best you can do without chemical treatment is to dry them slow to keep the stresses building gentle as possible.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

What about water baths? Like the old log ponds?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

TKehl

I'm going to have to take a picture of some Oak cookies drying in my shop.

From a standing dead tree that I thought would be good and dry (saved a few pieces from the furnace).  The outer ring didn't split and is an intact ring, but the heartwood cracked something FIERCE.  Looks like a stylized star with a round frame.   :D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on November 20, 2017, 07:29:21 AM....... and no amount of banding or weight will overcome those forces. 

The same is with lumber. I've stacked, stickered and air dried Poplar.
Then take a 10-12 inch wide, dried Poplar board and saw it with the miter saw and watch the stress release while sawing. A little dangerous at times.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

It can kick back on you when ripping on the table saw, too, and hurt a Goat.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Joey Grimes

I ordered 5 gallons of pintacry I've got a few 12" walnut logs not big enough to saw lumber I'm going to saw cookies  and soak um in a vat of pintacry and see what happens. Do you have blowout on back edge of cookies when you plane?
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

WDH

Blowout depends on how green they are.  On the green walnut, no blowout.  On the cedar, because the logs had laid around for 6 months, the sapwood was essentially dry and there is some chip-out/blow-out on those.  However, I found that with a random orbit sander with a 40 grit pad, I can smooth them out quick and easy.

If the walnut is a bit dry, sometimes the bark will blow-out in the back.  On walnut cut in the growing season, this is not a problem because the bark will not stay on anyway once the cookie shrinks.  If the walnut was cut down in the dormant season and sawn into cookies within a few weeks, the bark will usually stay on, and you are OK if you plane them very soon after sawing. 

YellowHammer

Does the green wood cause rust or other issues with the planer?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Joey Grimes

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 24, 2017, 09:46:56 AM
From my experience the biggest problem planing green wood is chips are so heavy the dust collecter can't keep up and gets  stopped up..
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

kelLOGg

Quote from: Joey Grimes on November 24, 2017, 11:11:59 AM
Quote from: YellowHammer on November 24, 2017, 09:46:56 AM
From my experience the biggest problem planing green wood is chips are so heavy the dust collecter can't keep up and gets  stopped up..

I have experienced the same thing.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

SineWave

I've heard where archaeologists have discovered old dugout canoes, ship's timbers, etc., that were submerged in rivers for many years, and they tented them and used ethylene glycol (anti-freeze) to replace the water in the timber. Supposedly this would prevent the wood from cracking all to pieces, but it apparently took years to complete the process. I wonder if this would work for cookies?

Resonator

Wood turners have been using PEG (poly etheylene glycol) for years to stabilize the cell walls in the wood for turning, especially on huge pieces (google Malthrop). Different chemical than antifreeze (etheylene glycol).
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Joey Grimes

I was initially planning on using peg the only snag I read was you have to have some kind heating element to keep it at a minimum temp .I may try the peg after I have ran my test with the pintacryl  to see if it is more economical 5 gallons pintacryl delivered is 280.00.

TKehl

FWIW, here are some cookies cut from standing dead and lightly spalted wood.  Chainsaw cut in  Feb. and left stacked in an unheated area.

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

WDH

I will have to say that the stickering of the wood cookies and covering the top layer with a layer of nurse boards seems to slow the drying and reduce the cracking.  I cut these cookies about 3 months ago and stickered them and covered the top layer.  The results have been good.  Much less cracking than I have seen before.

Red cedar.

Black walnut.

Southern Yellow Pine.

You can see some mildew and mold from the slow drying on the pine.

Thank You Sponsors!