iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

floating rocks

Started by tree-farmer, January 29, 2018, 05:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tree-farmer

Ok I need some backup here. I just finished grading the mile long dirt roard ilive on. Complained to wife that the recent series of freeze thaw cycles had foated a lot of fist size annd larger rocks to the surface.
Got the, you're nuts look, and said its  just erosion. I contend freezing and thaw cycles push rocks to surface.
So what do the members here think?  (I know the cook is always right) but would like some feed back as to others observations.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

petefrom bearswamp

Freeze thaw cycles do indeed push rocks to the surface.
Here in the north this is a common occurrence
Hence the old saying the only thing this poor land grows is rocks.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Bay Beagle

Having a long driveway (one mile) - my #3's, #2's, #57, and all the milling and "crush and run", not to mention crushed concrete - got to have gone south ...... to China ~ but I do know what You mean, they seem to wash up.

21incher

We get that every year up here. Every spring I have to roll my yard to push them back down so the mower doesn't hit them. You are right, but better keep it here. ;D ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

My Grandmother has a garden in the same spot for years,since WWII. We,my Father,had one in the same spot. My Father use to plow the garden with a one bottom plow. So there was some deep farrows. We dug some good size rocks out that he would hit with the plow.Than he got a troybuilt tiller. We would still have to get the tractor on the garden to haul out a big rock.
Kinda hard to think that the rocks would come to the surface after all those years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

i have dug rocks out of town roads that were 4ft across them. when the road was built there might have ben 2ft of gravel over them. as the years went by the frost pushed them up until they broke through the pavement

Southside

You are absolutely right, frost will push rocks up, and there are many a broken water line to support that.  It's not just rocks, fence posts suffer the same fate.  The problem is that you are still wrong.  What are you going to do - go home and say "Honey the guys on the Forum say you are wrong and I am right?"  Why do I suspect the response would be "Well the guys on the Forum can cook you supper then."  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tree-farmer

You hit the nail on the head Sothside Logger. After a good supper of chicken and rice and home made biscuits I began to see the error in my thinking. Now if I can just convince the rocks  :D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

SwampDonkey

Between a rock and a hard place, I'm afraid.  ;D :D :D 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

maple flats

I agree, rocks do rise to the surface, but if your wife asks that thought is all wrong. I'll deny I said it.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

dgdrls

Quote from: tree-farmer on January 29, 2018, 05:49:25 PM
Ok I need some backup here. I just finished grading the mile long dirt roard ilive on. Complained to wife that the recent series of freeze thaw cycles had foated a lot of fist size annd larger rocks to the surface.
Got the, you're nuts look, and said its  just erosion. I contend freezing and thaw cycles push rocks to surface. 
So what do the members here think?  (I know the cook is always right) but would like some feed back as to others observations.

Tree-Farmer,  did you push back with that comment or simply absorb it??

if it was the latter, you're good,  just fix the drive as needed, keep your head down and never mention the event again 

The burdens we carry for the girls we love ;)
D

DelawhereJoe

The only thing I ever get comes floating to the surface around my house is tree roots, mud and mole trails. I wish I had rocks that would just "show up" from nowhere.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Jeff

From
https://indianapublicmedia.org/amomentofscience/how-rocks-appear-your-garden/

Any place that has winters cold enough to freeze the ground might experience the magical appearance of rocks welling up from beneath the surface. This is so common in the eastern U.S. that the rocks are called "New England potatoes."

Here's what makes these stones mysteriously appear. Stones are better conductors of heat than soil, so the stone conducts heat away from the warmer soil beneath it. That colder soil under the rock then freezes before other dirt at the same depth.

Remember that when water freezes it expands. So, when the water in the soil under the rock freezes, it expands and pushes the rock up a little.

When the ground thaws a space is left under the stone which fills with dirt, so the stone rests a little higher. Over a period of time this repeated freezing, expanding, upward push, and filling underneath eventually shoves the rock to the surface.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

wish no more DelawhereJoe. Your wish has been fulfilled. I will be your wish filler. I have rocks that will make your wish come true. You can have as many as you want.

DaveinNH

I grew up in Wisconsin and my first job, outside of family, involved floating rocks. Starting with when I was 14 one of the local farmers would hire us every spring. He would pull a large trailer behind his tractor and we would pick up, and dig out, the new crop of rocks that had come up that winter. This was prior to him plowing his corn fields so he did not break equipment.
Wood-Mizer LT40HD26     Polaris 6x6 Big Boss
Ariens 34 Ton Splitter       Stihl 460, 261, 70

Southside

Quote from: thecfarm on January 30, 2018, 09:17:47 PM
wish no more DelawhereJoe. Your wish has been fulfilled. I will be your wish filler. I have rocks that will make your wish come true. You can have as many as you want.

Ray -

You may as well send him your rocks, the glacier took all your top soil and gave it to him already. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DelawhereJoe

No sorry I sadly don't have your topsoil, Delaware is more like a sandbar. The spot I live has about 3-5" of topsoil then 4-5' of clay then sand. Its perfect for holding water during the wet times, the trees are great at protecting the glorious crops of mosquitoes  that I can generate. I would be happy to take your rocks, just start trucking them down here. If you can send me enough I'll make a rock crawling trail for the local jeep clubs.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

justallan1

I know darned well rocks migrate to the top with the farming I do! We have a field across from my house that I'll get someone to drive my truck while I walk behind and you just flat cannot get them all. If it weren't for the different places that I toss the rocks to hold a hillside or fill a washout, I'm fairly certain my co-workers would think that I spend to much time in the house.
I'll say one thing about this dirt though, it will swallow a 3 foot long bright yellow wrecking bar with a quickness! Although I no longer have proof of this though. :D

SwampDonkey

We picked a mountain of rocks off the farm in 4 generations. My father moved a lot of old rock piles from middle of fields to woods and road building and for under new building foundations. You name it. No end to them. They was picked 2 to 3 times a year, before and during planting and after harvest. The piles keep growing, the rocks don't go away. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

millwright

Every few years we run a hydraulic rock picker on the corn and fresh plowed hayfields. It is amazing the amount of rock that appears in just 2-3 years

Grizzly

But, you take them same boulders/stones/pebbles down to the lake and toss them in .......... and no float! So why in the fields over and over agin but not on water?????   ;D  And for ours up here a rock picker ain't hardly no good. A loader is pretty much a must with a few challenging a good sized cat. Rocks are best in good fishing areas or scenic drive areas.

That freeze/thaw cycle will heave very large boulders.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Thank You Sponsors!