iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone want to talk about Belsaw Mills

Started by jimparamedic, March 20, 2019, 08:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

Every other tooth blunt to punch out nails?  Sounds like Frank got me again.

luap

Trapper, One of these was brought into our shop as an after hours project. Had to split the case and had a broken shaft. Welded the shaft together and it's a bit of a challenge to weld together a broken shaft and keep it running true. Take it apart and make your decision then -repair it or look for another one. As it sits on the bench can you turn either of the wheel hubs? The hydrostatic lawn tractors that I have, the wheels won't turn If I want to push the mower. their is a rod you pull out to put the transaxle in neutral. This is not the shifter lever. If the rod is pulled out, the tractor won't move under power from the engine. My lawn tractor takes sae 30 wt oil in transaxle.

jimparamedic

The one I used has a separate hyd. tank and a control valve to turn the flow on and off plus a valve to control speed and direction, And some has a shifter tp lock the transaxle in and out of gear so it would free wheel. I was able to do away with the transaxle on mine.

bandmiller2

Creeker, your still on top I cant beat shelling town hall with a civil war cannon. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

moodnacreek

Surplus center sometimes has l/h and r/h wheel drives from discontinued zero turn mowers. I don't know much about these but I think you power it and add a oil tank/ line and the rest is built in the unit. I bought one to make a variable feed drive for my edger but never followed through.

bandmiller2

The stock Bell saw feed works is not bad if adjusted well with belts the right length. Carriages that creep should not be tolerated. Your feed works is also your brake, its not a bad idea to have something at both ends to stop a runaway carriage. If you have hydraulics its a simple matter to use a hyd. motor with a cable drum. They sell a needle valve for speed control that restricts the speed one way and gives you full speed for gigback the other way. Frank C.

moodnacreek

Quote from: bandmiller2 on May 10, 2019, 07:53:49 PM
Creeker, your still on top I cant beat shelling town hall with a civil war cannon. Frank C.
I don't know, your not young, may have forgot some things.

moodnacreek

Jim Para, I dug out an old bell saw pamphlet this morning, no date but has to be pre-war. Your sawmill is a model 10 basically as they offered it several different ways, out to 16' and the cast head block scale and the true gear racks are on them all. Also the shingle maker was big then as the farmer must have wanted to roof his building from his own trees or so they said to sell it. All these 10 models had the short, cast set handle at the rear of the carriage. [ that is where the hand feed crank would also be]. This is a very dangerous place to stand. They do not show or offer a forward set works or reach rod on these '10' models.

Blaszer

Im running a rockford clutch that is a reducer AND a reverser since the blade rotation is opposite that of an engine.....I had the output shaft machined and a pto shaft fitted to the end of it...This way, if my power unit ever goes down I can lift it out of the way and hook a tractor on and continue sawing

moodnacreek

Blaszer, Have the same set up here. It is on an old Cat D6 [318] diesel and it is going on the bell saw so the tractor can be used elsewhere.

bandmiller2

My first mill had a cat 318 a very good mill engine about 90 hp, if I recall. They only turn around 1200 rpm and will outlive most of us. Mine came from an old crane as a complete unit skid mounted with clutch and fuel tank. Unlike a Detroit it was a joy to listen to ( I like Detroits just not humming in my ear). Frank C.

moodnacreek

Band miller also, your slippen man, according to the owners manual ye old Cat 318 can go 1800 rpm. This has to be one of the best diesels ever made. Also have a 13000 and a 4400.

bandmiller2

My friend it was many years ago, I don't recall ever putting a tach on it. Seemed like it was always just loafing along. Frank C.

moodnacreek

Frank, Your a good sport, putten up with me. Ran one for 15 years, sometimes on used motor oil. The most fun was starting it in the morning, after that all work.

jimparamedic

Well I found some more horse power I hope its big enough. Its an old HD9 runs good just got to remove the old dozer from around  it. the tracks and finals are out of it

moodnacreek

Jim, what engine from the A/C ?   In 1947 the bell saw has the slotted knees [or bases] and the set works has been changed for the last time except the friction screw. I think yours is a transition model . Those 10 models had the 1 1/2" mandrel.  Back then the hand crank feed used a rope. At one time they would sell you a wood carriage that was hand pushed. They called this a sawmill that a Mr. Bell invented but it is really a bolter saw set up used to saw short rather small logs.

jimparamedic

Thanks for the info. the engine is 4-71 DT

moodnacreek

Quote from: jimparamedic on May 15, 2019, 06:46:11 PM
Thanks for the info. the engine is 4-71 DT
 That will have way more power than you should have on the bell saw. Run nit at the slowest
rpm recommended, maybe 1400. They made those to run reverse of normal, I think the cam has to be changed, not sure, ask an old Detroit [GMC] mechanic. Whoa, you have a l/h don't you?

jimparamedic

Yes they are a reversible engine. Got to turn cam and crank

luap

Quote from: jimparamedic on May 15, 2019, 09:52:43 AM
Well I found some more horse power I hope its big enough. Its an old HD9 runs good just got to remove the old dozer from around  it. the tracks and finals are out of it
There is another American #1 in my area that is powered by a Detroit 4-71. It has more than enough power

jimparamedic

Went to Pa yesterday and picked up a new to me 50" blade could not turn it down at $75 it was a steal

Looks to be in great shape but does need one shoulder repaired. My plan is to have it cut down. and only have 24 teeth.

glendaler

Quote from: jimparamedic on May 20, 2019, 09:09:47 AM
My plan is to have it cut down. and only have 24 teeth.

Now that I will be very interested to see.
Belsaw A10 circle mill,

jimparamedic

Piper's Saw in Ky will recut for $25 a tooth. My uncle had a 60" saw recut and it was like a new saw

Trapper John

I am about to order the cheapest motor spool valve from Surplus Center to operate my carriage.  This valve has load checks and I was wondering what that means.  Since this valve meets requirements for flow from my pump, I assume it will work for me.  Am I missing something here?  Also, is an adjustable flow control necessary or does it just make operation of the motor easier when I am sawing (as opposed to gig back)?

moodnacreek

Quote from: jimparamedic on May 20, 2019, 06:43:07 PM
Piper's Saw in Ky will recut for $25 a tooth. My uncle had a 60" saw recut and it was like a new saw
I say call B.F. Payne and price a new one the size you want.

Thank You Sponsors!