iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane Michael

Started by Roxie, October 10, 2018, 06:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxie

We've got a lot of folks in harms way, and I want to hear where you are, how you are, and what's your plan? 

Say when

hturner12

Thomaston Ga currently  under Tropicial Storm warning. Checking  the National Hurricane Center  website frequently.  Shoulde get the wind around 2pm 
Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

WDH

We are square in the path.  Projected winds here are for 60 mph.  Expect lots of tree damage and no power. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hturner12

Quote from: WDH on October 10, 2018, 08:15:24 AM
We are square in the path.  Projected winds here are for 60 mph.

Expect lots of tree damage and no power.  

I am right at the edge. Hopefully it turn an miss both of us. Jake may get it also

Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

WV Sawmiller

My 88 y/o mom and my younger brother & his family live about 40 miles north of Pensacola. Last I heard it looked like eye was crossing near Panama City about 80 miles south of them. They will still get lots of wind but maybe not the worst. They rode out Ivan and Dean so pretty much think they are invincible I guess. We will keep following how they fare with this one.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Raider Bill

Our beaches and low lying areas are getting surge. Been raining off and on but that will get worse as will the wind as the storm passes. It will be a normal tropical storm for us.
Dang is in for it though.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Southside

Hope all you folks fare just fine in this. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Sixacresand

Last month, Poston WideHead stated that his hurricane was coming straight to sawmill building.   I feel the same way about Michael, which is "advertised" as being a cat 1 when it gets to Middle Georgia.  We already cancelled Church for tonight.  I'm sure the shelves of the piggly wiggly are low.  (Not like a 1/2" snow)  Going out this AM to get gas for the Generator and put enough gas in the truck to get to a Hotel 6 or a ER.  Praying for everybody in its path, especially DanG in Chattahoochee, FL  I know there are many Forum Members in its path.  Be smart, be safe.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

petefrom bearswamp

Hope all in the storms path are going to be OK
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Barney67

I'm about 35 miles north of Ft. Walton, rain and light wind so far, expecting 60 mph sustained winds later. Looks like Panama City, Port St. Joe and Apalachicola will take the brunt of this one.
EZ Boardwalk 40 Mahindra 5570

Chuck White

Cooks Saw is in the storms path too!

Thoughts and prayers out for all in harms way!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mike_belben

My mother just moved from bay shore alabama to the panama city area about 2 months ago.  Lost half her roof and sun room today but was safe last i heard. 

So i guess it was a pretty serious storm. 
Praise The Lord

POSTON WIDEHEAD

When it gets to my mill the eye will go right across us into Charlotte NC.
Our winds are only predicted to be in the 45mph range.
Tomorrow is the first day of gun season and schools are out due to the wind.
Paul said perfect timing.
I expect trees down and minor power outages. But this storm has been unpredictable from the get go.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hturner12

Right now it about 80 miles ssw of Macon Ga winds are down to 85. We are getting eain a winds are picking up i hate night time storms
Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

IMERC

here's pulling for all of you down there...
be safe...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

hturner12

All I got was a bunch of rain and some wind so far no damage. Hopefully everyone else in Fl and Ga faured well. 
Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

Lawg Dawg

Outer rain bands are getting to us now.  Good thing this one is a fast mover, unlike Florence. They say tomorrow will be fall time temps and beautiful!  8)
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

hturner12

Same for us tommorow  project low 51
Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

Magicman

250 power company crews staged in Jackson last night and will deploy into the affected areas after the storm passes today.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

Some tree tops lying the yard, Metal roofing covering  lumber blown off.  But the power is still on, PTL.  We have been blessed, According to the local news, there are thousands without power and will have to deal with damage.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Barney67

Just rain and some limbs down for me. I crossed I 10 at Crestview this morning about 6:30 headed to work, steady line of power trucks rolling east as far as I could see.

DR_Buck

DanG posted on Facebook that his power was beginning to flicker.  Haven't seen any post or updates from him since then.    

It looks like we are in the path for what's left.     We have high wind and flash flood warning for this afternoon.    Over cast and eerily calm right now and it is tracking directly toward us.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

fishpharmer

DanG just texted me that he is ok but has a mess.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Nomad

I just got a text from DanG.  His power is out and he's got a mess to clean up, but everybody is safe.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Nomad

Just heard from WDH too.  His power and internet are out.  People and buildings are okay.  He does, however, have extensive timber damage.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

POSTON WIDEHEAD

We're not getting any wind yet. But boy da water is coming down.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Roxie

Our Florida and Georgia boys made it!  8) 8)

Say when

hturner12

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on October 11, 2018, 09:47:06 AM
We're not getting any wind yet. But boy da water is coming down.  :)
We got between 3 and 4 inches
Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

DelawhereJoe

Quote from: nomad on October 11, 2018, 09:21:55 AM
     Just heard from WDH too.  His power and internet are out.  People and buildings are okay.  He does, however, have extensive timber damage.
Extensive timber damage equals more lumber and a new box of blades for the mill. Glad that him and DanG are ok.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

SawyerTed

Glad to hear our guys are ok. There are many who have lost everything along the Gulf Coast.

We were hit awfully hard here, winds were 50 mph plus. Lots of trees down and power out. Mostly inconvenient stuff that pales in comparison.  It was still a surprisingly powerful storm even here.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

hturner12

Just watced the weather it may make all the way Spain next week
Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

DR_Buck

We're getting hammered here in central VA.   Power has been out for sometime.   Lots of trees down.   Raining so hard sideways it is blowing up under my ridge vent and my garage and shop are being drained in.   My table saw is soaking wet.

samandothers

Winds seem to be higher here today than with Florence. However nowhere near the rain.  Prayers for those in the Fl panhandle!

btulloh

Got 2 to 3 inches of rain so far.  Been pretty mild up til now.  I'm about 60 miles NE of DR_Buck, so it sounds like it's been worse down his way.  They're calling for 4-6 inches of rain and some wind.  The rain is supposed to be out of here by midnight, but the wind is supposed to pick up even more after that.

Wind picking up pretty good now.  Lights blinked a few times.  Thought I heard a tree come down not too far from the house.  We were already saturated before this rain, so it won't take much wind to cause trouble.  Standby generator is standing by.

BIG white pine in the front yard worries me.  

Whatever happens here, it's just a minor inconvenience compared to FL and GA.

Glad to hear that everyone is safe.

HM126

Southside

5.5" rain so far, 32 MPH peak wind, but had several tornadoes touch down around us again. One about 5 miles north and the other 10 miles east. Several others were reported as well. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Don P

We've had flooding, that was a lot of rain. The creekside roads around here have been going under, I went through where there was a small mudslide across 21 today, I've heard of another in Galax across 58. And then it blew out followed by cool air, we loaded logs and the slabbing Lucas to saw at the farmers market tomorrow.

nativewolf

Quote from: DR_Buck on October 11, 2018, 06:39:06 PM
We're getting hammered here in central VA.   Power has been out for sometime.   Lots of trees down.   Raining so hard sideways it is blowing up under my ridge vent and my garage and shop are being drained in.   My table saw is soaking wet.
Hate to hear that, sounds like quite a rain.  TV just said there were tornadoes around there too.  Stay safe.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: fishpharmer on October 11, 2018, 09:02:34 AM
DanG just texted me that he is ok but has a mess.
Thanks for letting us know.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Just heard from WDH too.  His power and internet are out.  People and buildings are okay.  He does, however, have extensive timber damage.
man that is too bad on his plantations, he took such pride in them.  
Liking Walnut

hturner12

Quote from: nativewolf on October 11, 2018, 08:36:25 PM
    Just heard from WDH too.  His power and internet are out.  People and buildings are okay.  He does, however, have extensive timber damage.
man that is too bad on his plantations, he took such pride in them.  
I sent him a text earlier.  He said buildings  were good and was still assessing  damage, but alot of timber damage. Since he is about an hour from me offered my help  if he needed it.
Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

WDH

OK.  Got power back.  Never seen wind like this so far inland.  My recently thinned 21 and 30 year old pine plantations took it pretty hard.  Lost some big hardwoods too, however, I have not walked the creek bottoms yet, so I am sure that many more will be down.  Got smacked pretty hard.  Lost power at 8:25 p.m. yesterday, so I have had little information about the impacts of the storm.  Not sure if the eye of the storm came directly over us, but it had to be close.  Thankfully my house and out buildings and sawshed and air drying sheds came through without damage.  The amount of limbs, leaves, and woody debris on the ground is amazing.  I won't be needing any extra pine logs for a good bit :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

Glad to hear that you are ok.

We just lost power here.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

Glad you are okay.

Last I heard a couple hours ago my daughter in Charlotte was without power. I saw David Poston on line and he is only about 20 miles or so hopefully it was a local issue and they will be back on line pretty soon.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

hturner12

Quote from: WDH on October 11, 2018, 11:16:29 PM
OK.  Got power back.  Never seen wind like this so far inland.  My recently thinned 21 and 30 year old pine plantations took it pretty hard.  Lost some big hardwoods too, however, I have not walked the creek bottoms yet, so I am sure that many more will be down.  Got smacked pretty hard.  Lost power at 8:25 p.m. yesterday, so I have had little information about the impacts of the storm.  Not sure if the eye of the storm came directly over us, but it had to be close.  Thankfully my house and out buildings and sawshed and air drying sheds came through without damage.  The amount of limbs, leaves, and woody debris on the ground is amazing.  I won't be needing any extra pine logs for a good bit :).  
Danny 
If you need help with clean up let me know

Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

Magicman

Thank you guys for continuing to give us updates.  It is so comforting to be reassured that you are OK.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Treehack

Glad to hear that yall have weathered the storm. Trees can be sawed, property can be restored, the folks are what matters the most and sounds like all are good.  Good luck with all the clean up efforts.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

btulloh

Came through pretty good all in all.  There some issues around the area.  Five storm-related deaths in the Richmond area.  I haven't made a full survey around my place yet but so far things aren't too bad.  Couple big trees down right here, but they missed everything.

This one could have hit 15 different things but it missed them all.  I hope everyone one else is this lucky.

HM126

Southside

We lost power about 12 hours ago, have not surveyed everything yet, 7.4" rain total , and a kiln full of wood.  >:( At least the bulk tank was empty.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Sixacresand

Yesterday, I bartered to get the rest of a dead pine took down and get my back yard cleaned up in exchange for lumber.  My lower back says thank you.  

samandothers

Glad to hear everyone is well.  

Danny sorry to hear about your timber loss.

Dan_Shade

Our power came back around 4:30 or 5:00 am. 

Minor tree damage around the house. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

Just remember those power company crews that are working long hours and in dangerous working conditions to restore the power outages.  Telephone and CATV crews will follow them.

caveman

WDH, I am glad you got power back so soon.  I sent you a text last night but it evidently did not make it.

I have some friends in Blountstown, Fl that got smacked really bad.  The only picture I got from them after the storm showed devastation - their well cared for pines were broken and twisted, their house and out buildings were severely damaged and they were happy to have survived.

My son in law recently returned from a 13 day assignment to North Carolina to help restore power and was sent to north Florida yesterday morning.  He reported that he has never seen storm damage this significant and some of the seasoned veterans said this was as bad or worse than Andrew was in '92.  They told him he may be on the job for 30 days and then rotate out.  Basically, they will have to rebuild from the substations out.  He is about 10 miles from Panama City Beach. 

I volunteered to go help my friends in Blountstown and was going to leave this afternoon but was told that I probably could not get there from here.

Dang must have a heck of a mess at his place too.  This storm morphed into a monster.
Caveman

samandothers

Caveman,
Wondered how your SIL did during Florence.  Felt like he would be involved in this too.  Kinda glad I retired. I feel like I'd be down there or headed that wat had I not.  Hope he and his fellow workers stay safe.  Lots of hazards.

caveman

I hope he stays safe too.  They work long days and have daunting tasks before them.  
Caveman

WDH

My damage was insignificant compared to what those people on the coast suffered. 

pineywoods

Son-in-law's widowed mother has (had) an apartment in one of them old warehouses in Bainbridge Ga that was converted into senior citizen apartments. She got out in a hurry, went to Birmingham. Got back in yesterday, the entire top floor is gone, she literally lost everything.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Barney67

Unfortunately, I'm hearing the death toll will rise significantly, lots of people still missing.

FLPINERAT

Quote from: WDH on October 13, 2018, 08:15:49 AM
My damage was insignificant compared to what those people on the coast suffered.
Wasn't just the coast..CAT 3 closed core structure into S GA
Just got back from Bristol area....few miles east of Blountstown. Lord what a mess.

WDH

Yes, you are very correct.  South Georgia got smashed. 

DR_Buck

Glad to hear everyone made it through ok.  We just got our power back on.   A little over over 3 days on generator for lights and necessities.   Used 48 gallons of gas to keep it going.   Got most of the bigger stuff around the house cleaned up.  Still have one large oak down in the front yard  and another that is leaning farther out than it was that will have to wait until I have time.   I need to concentrate on the new addition.  Almost 3 days lost work time has set me back some.   Drywall installation is scheduled and if I'm not ready by the end of this week it could be a while.    I still need to get the heat pump hooked up also. 

nativewolf

Quote from: WDH on October 11, 2018, 11:16:29 PM
OK.  Got power back.  Never seen wind like this so far inland.  My recently thinned 21 and 30 year old pine plantations took it pretty hard.  Lost some big hardwoods too, however, I have not walked the creek bottoms yet, so I am sure that many more will be down.  Got smacked pretty hard.  Lost power at 8:25 p.m. yesterday, so I have had little information about the impacts of the storm.  Not sure if the eye of the storm came directly over us, but it had to be close.  Thankfully my house and out buildings and sawshed and air drying sheds came through without damage.  The amount of limbs, leaves, and woody debris on the ground is amazing.  I won't be needing any extra pine logs for a good bit :).
Good deal, that's the right way to look at a Hurricane.  You are ok, buildings ok, have extra wood to saw.  
Went through several small ones in NC but a class 4 moving quickly is really devastating if the eyewall is tight and the pressure gradients are there, wind that will just rip trees apart like tornadoes.  
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: Barney67 on October 13, 2018, 08:36:40 PM
Unfortunately, I'm hearing the death toll will rise significantly, lots of people still missing.
I believe it, lots of people riding it out and it was much stronger than expected.   The images from the eyewall impacted areas remind me of unhappier days in foreign lands.  
Liking Walnut

WV Sawmiller

Glad to hear those of you are okay who posted. As mentioned several times property can be replaced but lives cannot. I wish more people would keep this in mind when warned to evacuate ahead of a storm.

Several years ago when Fla was getting beat up badly and one of the hurricanes to hit the state got downgraded from a Cat 4 to a Cat 3 just before it hit. Friends of mine described it as the difference between getting hit directly by a freight train for a Cat 4 and getting hit directly by a tractor trailer for a Cat 3. Basically, if you were directly in its path you did not notice much difference.
Howard Green

DanG

Hi all.  I'm back after nine days without power or phone service. All family, friends & neighbors made it ok but most everybody has some damage. We lost a couple of roofs on barns and many, many trees. Worst part for us was the lack of air conditioning. We broke heat records two of the days and temps were at or above 90 until today. Now we will likely need the heater or fireplace tonight!  :D :D I'll post details and a few pics tomorrow.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

samandothers

Glad you came through ok.  Sorry for your damage.

DanG

Talked with Woodbowl today. He came through about like me, house is ok but trees down all over the place. He still doesn't have power but they are used to camping and roughing it. He will not lack for sawing business for quite a while. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Roxie

Glad he is okay!  Has anyone heard from PC Urban Sawyer? 

Say when

Thank You Sponsors!