iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you believe Michael Phelps?

Started by Lanier_Lurker, August 15, 2008, 11:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanier_Lurker

Unbelievable!   8)

I have watched that overhead replay a dozen times, and I still cannot see how in the world he touched the wall ahead of the Serbian in the 100 fly.

0.01 seconds...

Simply amazing.

moonhill

He's a long distance swimmer and that was a short one with some good sprinters and that was close.  Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

SwampDonkey

Yeah, but according to the touch pad, he won. Must have longer arms.  ;D  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

The explanation I got was that the other swimmer swiped at the touch pad and missed it.  By the time he got his hand back up there, Phelps had already touched.  Phelps said he gave it an extra kick instead of gliding to the touch as he usually does.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

There was definitely a swipe at it in the slow motion video I seen Dang.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

logwalker

That was a minor miracle for that remarkable young man. Just goes to prove the old adage "The harder you work the luckier you get". LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

thecfarm

That critter can swim,long arms help out too.When you're good at something it shows.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Quote from: DanG on August 16, 2008, 11:51:31 AM
Phelps said he gave it an extra kick instead of gliding to the touch as he usually does.

At what distance is the last kick from the pad a glide?  ;D :D :D

It's like the law of averages and a bit of a confidence factor as far as I'm concerned, give the competition enough opportunity or become a little over confident and you'll become old news.  ;) If there is an 8th race he won't win. Well there now, I just jinxed him. ;)

Engineer

Looks like your jinx failed.  8 gold medals and another world record to boot.  Good thing his anchor was faster than everyone else.

But I still don't see what the big deal is.  The whole world is making him out to be the world's greatest athlete.  I don't agree one bit.  He's just in the right place at the right time to be the world's best swimmer, for now. 

Now if he were to go out and win a couple gold medals in track and field, and then maybe win a couple more in something like wrestling, or win a marathon, then maybe he'd have my vote.  I still think the decathletes, or people who win Ironman triathlons, are the world's best athletes. 

WDH

He is the greatest swimmer, no doubt.  However, many great athletes only have 1 event, or a very few at the least, that they can compete in.  That makes the 8 metals a very unlevel playing field because there is such a profusion of swimming events.

Take nothing from his accomplishments, however, in the world of swimming.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bd354

I think what he's done is amazing. It's a big deal because no one has ever done it. I'm sure it took a lot of work to acomplish what he did. I hafta admire him for that.

DanG

No big deal? ???  Give me a break!  The man owns more Olympic Gold Medals than anyone in history, and stands with the likes of Jesse Owens, Carl Lewis and Mark Spitz.  While I have great admiration for Decatletes and Triathletes, few if any of them could muster the excellence to even make the Olympic team in a single sport.  There are accolades aplenty to go around for all the champions of all the sports.  I see no need to criticize a swimmer because he doesn't do the high jump.  I'll bet if he did though, he'd be pretty good at it. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

Yeah, he got away with one more.  :) However, I wouldn't discount the man because of all the swimming events. That sounds like the view of some sports commentators I have been hearing. He's certainly a great athlete in top form. No real reason to repeat what I said earlier, however it still holds true. Those other competitors just don't have it figured out yet.  ;D They are top performers to.  ;)

Dan_Shade

swimming is one of the most demanding sports there is, their training regimine is unbelievable.

I had a friend in college that was on the WVU swim team, he said after the season was over, he didn't even want to take a shower!

I think that Phelps is a pretty amazing athelete, and he seems pretty down to earth too, which is nice to see in somebody that is really good at what they do.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Norm

I read an interesting story about him the other day. He eats a diet of 12000 calories a day. Here's his typical breakfast.

Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of french toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Sure am proud to have him on our team.

thecfarm

But he burns them 12000 calories.Sounded pretty good until you got to the grits part.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kevin

He might be a great swimmer  but he's no match for the pigman at a pig fest. :D

pigman

Kevin, if you want to give me some gold I will accept it. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

dnalley

There you have it!  The secret of success....GRITS

raycon

I could keep up on the eating part...

Phelps is amazing.
My kids ages 9 & 10 want to swim every day now which is cool with me.
Lot of stuff..

Warbird

Have you seen what Phelps eats in a day?

TexasTimbers

If the IOC finds out about the grits they may ask for his medals back. Grit power gives an unfair advantage really.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Lanier_Lurker

Yes, grits - the ultimate health food!   8)

ely

yeah grits.
if i am not mistaken in one of those races i think the top 4 guys had broken the old world record. that is a feat in itself. but that kid amazes me. just like when i was a kid watching mark spitz tear all the comp. a new one. the boy can swim even if he has a goofy smile. give him his just desserts, grits if he wants them.

jbeat

He's fast alright and deserves every gold medal. However, in my opinion, Michael swam for a few minutes or less therefore doesn't compare with the  2.5 hours of grit and fortitude necessary to be a winning marathoner. Another thing, since ALL olympic athletes are champions in their respective sport and really are NOT comparable in talent then we must consider looks. Dara Torres is the gold medal winner-anybody wanna argue that one?
John B

Thank You Sponsors!