iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For Southerners, eating breakfast is an art.

Started by CHARLIE, March 24, 2009, 12:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

All I've got to say is up here we don't have time to savor breakfast. Winter is just around the corner, you know! We've got to get the wood cut and the garden grown, or it'll be a longer winter than last year. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Radar67

Bibby, the more you say, the more you make me think you are just what Grandma Sarah in "Outlaw Josey Wales" said about Missourians... no offense meant ;)

One thing I am eager to try is to make some of that blue corn Bmills has into blue grits. I wonder if the blue grits and the yellow butter will make green grits? Be a heck of a way to make green eggs and ham.  ;) ;D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

CHARLIE

Speaking of DanG grits......where is he?  He usually jumps in to support the finer things in life, like eating grits.  I reckon he's too busy with his newfound food, chicken feet. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

asy

Jeff, I'll be travelling with my Vegemite, you can depend on it :)

I'll send ya some just to ensure it's on hand at all times...

Hey, I wonder what it's like with Grits???     :P

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

beenthere

From the sounds of it, they should go hand in hand quite well.   8) 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gunman63

Asy... just what do u do with vegemite . A Aussie  was over here buying cars  and bodies for rat rods this past summer from me,and he brought a jar over for me to try, what do u use it for, the taste is  ........... well different, its tough on a swede, nothing like lutefisk or pickled herring, but the rum that he brought over  was something else 8)

Tom

Kiwi Charlie got me started on  Vegemite and I found the marmite on my own.  It's a product made from the dregs of a tank in which beer was brewed and is supposed to be loaded with vitamins and iron.   It's quite salty and definitely an acquired taste.   I have developed the acquired taste, I guess, and have the local Grocery store supplying a shelf.  It happens that we have a large  contingent of English here and they keep the grocery store busy with Marmite.

It is a very savory and salty taste, reminding me a bit of how a freshly opened bottle of one-a-day vitamins smells.   I like it on a spoon, on a cracker, on a piece of toast and even tried it on Grits.  It's pretty good on Grits.  What gave me the idea was Red-eye gravy is also strong savory tasting and usually salty, especially when made from a the leavings of Country Cured ham.   A little bit goes a long way.   

It can be a little bit like eating potato chips when you are craving salt.   Whether you like it or not, you keep sticking the spoon into the jar.  It has the consistancy of peanut butter...... kinda.

Jeff

The stuff makes pith poor axle grease and I think that's still the best use for it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

I went lookin' fer a grits recipe tonight and found that most recipes require a few other ingredients in the mix like butter, ham, cheese, shrimp and a host of other good tastin' stuff. ;D  Was wonderin' if this is the key to making good grits cause I do want my first batch to come out good. These are the grits I bought from the Extreme Grits man, they have to be good. :D  I'm gonna try this batch.  It has alot of good stuff in it.

Grits with Corn and Onion Greens Recipe

Ingredients
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large white or yellow onion, grated
1 cup whole corn kernels, either frozen or freshly cut from the cob
2 cups whole milk
2 cups water
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup stone-ground or coarse-ground grits
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (about 3 ounces)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh green onion greens
Method
1 Heat the oil n a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add the grated onion and cook, stirring, until transparent, about 2 minutes. Add the corn kernels and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kernels become soft, about 5 minutes.

2 Add the milk, water, and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Whisk in the grits, decrease the heat to low, and simmer, whisking occasionally, until the grits are creamy and thick, 45 to 60 minutes. Stir in the butter, Parmesan, parsley, and chopped green onions. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper.

Serves 6 to 8.

CHARLIE

Mooseherder, that looks like some real complicated Grits.  In the South, plain Grits cooked in water with some salt is the most popular.  When done you just add butter or gravy and eat it.  The 2nc most popular way to fix Grits is called Cheese Grits and then probably Shrimp Grits. I've heard of Garlic Grits but never tasted any.  I've never seen a Grits recipe as complicated as the one you listed. Let us know how it turns out. Just remember, you hae what is called Old Fashioned Grits that will need to be cooked longer.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

CLL

Bibby, it looks good, but just can't bring myself to accept lettuce as a breakfast food. Too many people getting to fancy with the grits, just plain grits with butter, maybe some crumbled bacon.
Too much work-not enough pay.

DanG

I'm here!  I've been a little bit "access challenged" for a few days, but seem to be connected ok tonight.  In an effort to not disappoint anyone, I'll say a couple of things on this subject.

Tom, I'm not surprised that you were able to develop a taste for Marmite.  I'd be surprised if there was anything you hadn't developed a taste for. ;) :D

Mooseherder, there is no recipe for grits.  There are instructions.  You mix 4 parts water to 1 part grits and boil the DanG things!  Most everybody adds a little salt and maybe some butter, but that isn't necessary if you happen to be one of those people who doesn't salt and butter a potato or a puddle of rice.  Anything beyond that is another dish, such as cheese grits, etc. ::)

BTW Mooseherder, the best grits I've found lately are Lakeside brand.  You can find them at your local Publix supermarket, if you happen to be in one of them sometimes. ;)

Now "at the end of the day", and "that being said"(etc, ad nauseum ::) ),  I don't usually eat grits for breakfast.  I usually dump a bunch of saltine crackers on a paper plate and smear them with toxic peanut butter, or just make a banana sandwich.  Most of the time, grits is a suppertime thing around here.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

chet

Here I thunk us Northern eat'in tater folks had finally hushed up dem southern grits boys.  :-\  But no!  Some transplanted Southerner from Wisconsin gotta bring it up again.   ::)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

DanG

Quote from: Chet on March 28, 2009, 01:00:29 AM
Here I thunk us Northern eat'in tater folks had finally hushed up dem southern grits boys.  :-\ 

If ya thunk that, ya got some more thankin' ta do, tater boy!  Grits is here ta stay!  I don't think I've ever had ta bring'em up again, but I do admit that a sudden sneeze when ya got a mouthful of'em is a less than pleasant experience. ::) :-X :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Meadows Miller

Gday

Im a Vegimite kid  ;D ;D 8) 8) But i dont know about eating it by the spoonfull tho Tom ;) :D :D :D ;D ;D ;) I like it lightly spread on my toast  ;) ;D also Matmites for Poms  ;) :D :D ;)

Reguards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Bibbyman

Quote from: CLL on March 28, 2009, 12:06:08 AM
Bibby, it looks good, but just can't bring myself to accept lettuce as a breakfast food. Too many people getting to fancy with the grits, just plain grits with butter, maybe some crumbled bacon.

What are you talking about?  There ain't no lettuce or grits on my breakfast plate.

My breakfast;  three strips of thick sliced hickory smoked bacon cook until still limp and cut to bite size, two large eggs over easy covered with about a quarter cup of medium hot salsa,  burrito size whole wheat tortilla stuffed with Monterey Jack cheese.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Meadows Miller

Gday
Bibby thats a nice looking Feed You have there its making me hungry  musteat_1 digin_2 I reckon ill give it a go myself Mate ;) ;D 8) 8)

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

asy

I NEVER ate Vegemite until after I lost all my weight. I think it screwed up my taste buds...

Still, now I do eat it, I like it spread medium on a salada or other dry cracker, with cheese on top. Yummo.

L.
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

schakey

I love breakfast and can eat it 3 times a day :) The best is in the south but I'll have to say that I like hash browns
and grits.Eggs,bacon,hash browns with grits don't get no better. digin_2 Of course cooked in a cast iron skillet!!!!
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Radar67 on March 25, 2009, 09:42:37 PM
One thing I am eager to try is to make some of that blue corn Bmills has into blue grits. I wonder if the blue grits and the yellow butter will make green grits? Be a heck of a way to make green eggs and ham.  ;) ;D

Radar,

If I remember my culinary history right, the technique for making green eggs was perfected by military cooks and is classified as "For Official Use Only..." I had the "priviliege" of consuming a fair amount of them during my time in boot camp in 1969...

Herb

Radar67

Herb, the green eggs are still an integral part of the military.  ;) had some not more than a week ago.  :D

I still don't know the answer to the question, bmills must be busy.  :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

IMERC

it's the grits...

they make or break a breakfast...

without them.. why bother digging in...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Thank You Sponsors!