iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Iron, Rods, Trees, and Family (lots of pics)

Started by Radar67, May 02, 2009, 10:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

As the title implies, I spent the day with old iron, hot rods, a few old trees, and the family. We attended the annual Okatoma Festival today. Here are some of the highlights.

A Mennonite family is here every year with their John Deere Hit and Miss Ice Cream rig. They make the best vanilla and chocolate ice cream (not as good as Mom's, but still good). The young gentleman likes talking about his engine.

We found a dough bowl (five feet tall) and an old horse trough from England in the local antique store.

The joinery was exceptional.

There was an antique car show with many entries. Here are a few.

Here is a well known favorite, even had Barney's gun and bullet on the hood.

An old International Pick up.

An old Ford Pick Up.

Another Ford

A 56 Chevy with triple deuces.

A sharp 55 Chevy

Old Sparky was there too. He was the hit of the parade.

Here comes the morning stage with the guest of honor, Jeff Bates.

Now one of our favorite subjects, trees. Here is a good sized Dawn Redwood (I think), about 20 inches DBH.

And here is the best part, family and trees. This is one of the largest oaks in the downtown area. That's my wife's hand on it for reference. I won't even guess the size, but it is estimated at 150 years old, or more.

The best part of the day was spending time with my family and taking in all the noise and sights of the day. :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

fishpharmer

Looks like a fun time was had by all.  Thanks for sharing. 

Did you happen to find out where the fella with the hit and miss was from?

Nice trees too.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Radar67

No, didn't get his home location. He was to busy talking about restoring his engine to get a word in.  ;) And I decided to let him talk.  :)

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

DanG

Great report and pics, Stew!  Looks like everybody was having a big time! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Warbird

That is awesome.  Thanks for sharing the good time with all of us!  What powers that old John Deere?

Radar67

The old John Deere is powered by gas.

Danny, you drove by that big oak when we ate last time.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!