iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I love turnips!

Started by Tom, December 18, 2003, 03:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Mr Webster describes a rutabaga as "A turnip with a large yellow root."
It has always been one of my favorite veggies. For most of my life, I only knew them as those big, waxy things from the grocery store. Several years ago, my Dad planted some, and we all fell in love with the greens from them, and found the fresh roots to be milder and more tender than the store kind. :o Surprise, Surprise, huh? ???  I've been growing some each year since then.
This year, my winter garden consists of collards, rutabagas, purple-top turnips, shogoin turnips, broccoli, and romain lettuce. Have enjoyed all except the broccoli, so far, but I now have some nice heads on that. Probably eat some of it this weekend. 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

Tom , DanG and others:

What do you use as a source of boron on your turnip and rutabaga? They and beets apparently like a little bit of it for good growth, but my main use for it is root maggots. I'm going to use BORAX as a source of boron. It's basically a natural salt taken from lakes in desert areas and used in the laundry and metal polishing. It's got sodium, boron, oxygen and water bound up in a molecule. Anyway, I've never used BORAX before it was always boric acid I think. But Borax has about 12 % boron in it, so if it don't kill the maggots it can add a micronutrient at least. ;D

It's kind of drizzling out now, so I'm going out with some lime and my Borax. Usually you add the Borax in the seed trench, but I was not on top of the ball this spring. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fishpharmer

SD no matter how they grow they oughta be clean :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

Yeah! You gotta wash that..... hum hum right out of....hmmmm :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CLL

Like turnip greens, just not a big fan of turnips. I plant a lot of turnips but its to flavor our deer meat. 8)
Too much work-not enough pay.

Weekend_Sawyer

I like to see an old post bumped up to the top  :)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Modat22

I planted 1/2 an acre in turnips this year  8)
remember man that thy are dust.

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D That would supply me for 50 years. ;)

Tom

Y'all must measure acres different than we do, Swamp Donkey.  :D

DanG

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 02, 2009, 06:10:01 AM
Tom , DanG and others:

What do you use as a source of boron on your turnip and rutabaga?

I've never used anything special on them.  I've used balanced granular fertilizers, and various composted manures.  For the last few years, I've had access to plenty of mushroom compost, so that's what I've been using.

The Solubor product that some folks have been squirting on their wood is actually sold as a source of boron for agriculutural use.

Tom, that depends on how well he likes them.  You could grow a 50 year supply of rhubarb for me in a flower pot! :-X :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

MrMoo

I like turnips too. Here in NH we plant the purple top ones early in the spring and get them in June.

Modat22

I always plant a big field of turnips, generally start with greens till fall then begin on the roots themselves. Fried, boiled, raw, mashed, chipped and salted.

I have beets this year as well, trying to see if I can fix them in every way I currently fix turnips.

Tom

QuoteTom, that depends on how well he likes them.  You could grow a 50 year supply of rhubarb for me in a flower pot! 

I knew a fellow that had a big'ol  flower pot like that one time.   ;D

Don_Papenburg

My 50 year flower pot 'O' rhubarb would have to cover a couple of acres. I haven't had any turnup in the garden for a bunch of years . I will try to put some in for the fall.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

easymoney

apparently eating turnips is an aquired taste. a cousin of mine raised a big crop a couple of years ago. since they were free to me i ate a lot of them. the more i ate the better they tasted. hope he raises more this year. ;D

Modat22

I used to hate em, then they kinda grew on me. Polk greens where the same way. Used to hate em now I love those too.

Thank You Sponsors!