iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor logging with winch

Started by sawyerf250, January 30, 2015, 12:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawyerf250

New to the site so l don't have any photos up yet but l log with a Massey Ferguson 375 with a loader on it and a Wallenstein Fx 90 winch 7 choker setup and do alright. Just curious what other people use and how there setup works. Also interested in if anyone has used or owns a winch with the remote control option, thinking about upgrading or adding the kit to mine to speed things up.
Massey Ferguson 375 w/838 loader, Wallenstien Fx 90 winch, 3 Husqvarna chainsaws

rockwall

Welcome from a fellow Maniac! I use a Clark 664B skidder and I'm a part time logger. You will love this site. There are a lot of knowledgable people on here with great mechanical and safety advice.

sawyerf250

Yes it seems to be. l was looking at a skidder and there was some comments on it from people on this page, when l clicked to read them l got jumped over to here and figured what the hey l'll try it out.  New to the site like l said but by no means new to logging l've run everything from chainsaw to buncher limber and skidder to crane and excavator.  Bought the winch to cut our farm a little more productively during slow times and mud season, would love to have a small skidder (although l don't know if l want to work that hard) haha but the winch was cheaper on my pocket and we already have the tractors.
Massey Ferguson 375 w/838 loader, Wallenstien Fx 90 winch, 3 Husqvarna chainsaws

furltech

I have just started logging with a winch and tractor. I have a farmi 501 on a belarus 525 .i like it, i have tried everything but a skidder also. but i am really liking this setup .But i have to agree a remote would surely make things nicer .

roger 4400

Hi !
I'm logging with a Massey 1643 (43 hp) and a Farmi 351 and like the job I can do with that set-up. I also use a snack block pulley and usually I stay in my trails so no need for skid plate or any other protection under the tractor. I also have a 100 ft and another 50 ft rope specially made for logging that do not stretch and are 8000 pounds rated if the tree is farther than 165 ft. Take care
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

I don't have a logging winch, but would like one. Just that I only pull out for my firewood and hard to justify not only the expense (but the re-sale value is very good) but the time to attach to the 3ph when needed for a few hours. So have only been looking for a used one, but they are scarce as hens teeth.

Resort to using the tractor to either drag lengths of logs out or cut to 7' length and load them out on the forks.

Stack near the shed for splitting later when too muddy in the woods.

Beginning of log pile last week, about double that today.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

g_man

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

This is my little setup. 30 hp Kubota and a JL290 Farmi.

I have a bucket grapple for loading

A little video of the self release snatch block

http://youtu.be/a0WLEYzlf0g

gg

thecfarm

sawyerf250,welcome to the forum. Merrill??? Must be up North?
I just have a 40hp NH that I play with in the woods. I do have 6 chockers.

I know I could use a remote with my winch,as long as someone else is paying for it.  ;D   I worked the winch in the woods for 3-4 years, now it lives a life of ease with just firewood.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

slowzuki

I had a Farmi 501 I used for a few years then sold, using a borrowed 351 this winter for a bit.  Great units to have.  I've got a hydraulic winch I intend to rig up eventually on some type of grapple.

Peter Drouin

I like my Wallenstein 120

But now I'm too busy sawing to log so I sub it out.

I like the hitch the 120 has.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

lopet

Welcome aboard sawyerf250.
I also have two tractor winches plus a parked skidder ( don't ask ). The one is a Farmi ALP 75, which I bought new about 4 years ago. I wanted it with the remote controls but unfortunately was told from the dealer that it was not available here and not approved for Canada. I found this a joke but ordered it anyways without it and thought maybe adding it later, as it comes as a kit. Never bothered afterwords as I only have used it as a backup winch.
You 'll be fine with a tractor, just watch where you drive with the ag tires.   Got a pic of your beast ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

DeerMeadowFarm

I like your set-up G-Man!

I have a MF 1552 with an Igland 3501. I just bought the winch last spring so I haven't given it much of a workout yet. I also added a grapple to my forks in December. Looking forward to using those soon!

wfcjr

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 30, 2015, 07:30:48 PM

What size & model JD is attached to that Wallenstein 120?

Peter Drouin

Quote from: wfcjr on February 02, 2015, 04:24:15 PM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 30, 2015, 07:30:48 PM

What size & model JD is attached to that Wallenstein 120?

A 2000 5410 with a 80 horse, JD engine. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

dsgsr

This is my set up. Fransgard V6500 on a JD 5085M. When I'm not moving Snow I put the Addington Grapple on to move logs and brush.

David

Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

wfcjr

Quote from: dsgsr on February 03, 2015, 04:44:47 PM
This is my set up. Fransgard V6500 on a JD 5085M. When I'm not moving Snow I put the Addington Grapple on to move logs and brush.

David

Similar set up for us... running a Wallenstein FX90 on a JD 5095M.  When working the woods, have a Frontier Grapple on the loader arms.  When the snow flies, which is often, we swap out the grapple for the snow plow.  Trygg Flexi chains, front & rear, from Thanksgiving until the snow melts.   

sawyerf250

G-man

l really like that holder setup for your peavey... l have been trying to figure a way to carry one with me also? l carry most of my tools and saws in the bucket with is both convenient and a pain for when l would like to deck logs or haul a little gravel and rocks around.

sawyerf250

thecfarm

Yes it is up north, 20 miles south of Houlton... The County! lol How do you like using those choker chains everyone? l have actual chokers.. much easier to push one of those than a chain!? Chains remind me of trying to push a rope up hill! haha

sawyerf250

Peter Drouin

l looked at the 120 very hard when getting mine, lt had more pull more weight more width and more of a price tag!? lol l noticed yours does not have the screen on it? Mine came standard along with the moveable block like yours and the removable hitch is very nice, l have only used my hitch once or twice? Other than that it just sits in the shop.. But the block comes in very handy! Sometime l take mine right off and throw a choker around a tree if l get in a bad spot and have to pull up hill. All of those factors are reason why l settled on the Wallenstein vs. other brands they come standard when Farmi for instance they are all add on features or they are not removable.

sawyerf250

And how does everyone do the quote deal? l see the option in the top corner of posts but didn't seem to actually "quote" the article or the person who posted it?

wfcjr

Quote from: sawyerf250 on February 04, 2015, 05:03:04 PM
And how does everyone do the quote deal? l see the option in the top corner of posts but didn't seem to actually "quote" the article or the person who posted it?

Go to the post that you want to quote.  Click on the"Quote" button top right.
Then the entire quoted post will appear in the "Post reply" block.  You can leave the entire quote in, or you can edits pieces out. 

Reference bucket & saw.... you may want to consider a scabbard.  Consider mounting it on your skidding winch screen.

thecfarm

I myself prefer the chains. They stay where I want them to stay. I can hook them up a foot from the butt and they stay there. I haul out alot of small stuff now. Some are only 6-8 inches across and even smaller. I double up on alot on most trees. I even made up six 4 foot chains for the small stuff.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Quote from: sawyerf250 on February 04, 2015, 05:01:32 PM
Peter Drouin

l looked at the 120 very hard when getting mine, lt had more pull more weight more width and more of a price tag!? lol l noticed yours does not have the screen on it? Mine came standard along with the moveable block like yours and the removable hitch is very nice, l have only used my hitch once or twice? Other than that it just sits in the shop.. But the block comes in very handy! Sometime l take mine right off and throw a choker around a tree if l get in a bad spot and have to pull up hill. All of those factors are reason why l settled on the Wallenstein vs. other brands they come standard when Farmi for instance they are all add on features or they are not removable.

I have the screen and it fell apart. So I went back and got after them and they gave me a new one and I never put on. The best thing I like on it is the lock. Pull the tree up with one rope and pull the #2 rope and it locks the cable in place.  :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

shinnlinger

I wonder of you could retrofit a gate remote to run your winch?
Link to Remote Control
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Thank You Sponsors!