iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good grammar

Started by rjwoelk, January 13, 2019, 06:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjwoelk

No none taken, should have used better grammar.  :D
Well I was kind of mad at a company that builds massive sawmill buildings, malls etc, but will not build an in closed tarping shed for the truck drivers that go out of there on a daily bases, 45 below to 100 above they can careless about our welfare, but we need to all have our ppe on or else. Most times we need the loads reworked, as the securment of the load is impossible. Boy were the shipping ladies mad at me when they had to redo 2 loads (remove from my load to the other trailer)because of it. So I have informed my dispatch I will no longer darken their place of business.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

John Mc

Quote from: samandothers on January 14, 2019, 12:12:21 PM
Quote from: alan gage on January 14, 2019, 11:39:29 AM
For instance the sentence: "I went to the store" would turn into "Johnny and I went to the store."
But the sentence: "Would you like to go to the store with me" would turn into "Would you like to go to the store with me and Johnny?"
Alan
Alan,
I was with ya until this point.   In my learnin here in the south we always put others first!   So, 'Would you like to go to the store with Johnny and me?'    :D
"Would you like to go to the store with Johnny and me?" is the gramatically correct sentence.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Skip

And that was his point from the first. :P

John Mc

Quote from: Skip on January 14, 2019, 06:03:27 PM
And that was his point from the first. :P
"...with me and Johnny" is not gramatically correct
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

gspren

Quote from: John Mc on January 14, 2019, 05:42:57 PM
Quote from: samandothers on January 14, 2019, 12:12:21 PM
Quote from: alan gage on January 14, 2019, 11:39:29 AM
For instance the sentence: "I went to the store" would turn into "Johnny and I went to the store."
But the sentence: "Would you like to go to the store with me" would turn into "Would you like to go to the store with me and Johnny?"
Alan
Alan,
I was with ya until this point.   In my learnin here in the south we always put others first!   So, 'Would you like to go to the store with Johnny and me?'    :D
"Would you like to go to the store with Johnny and me?" is the gramatically correct sentence.
My only question is "what store", or is it "which store".
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Southside

Would y'all pick me up some Grits and Gizzards when you get to that thar store?  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

rjwoelk

Well i just think its disrespectful  by putting yourself first. Mom said so. :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

WDH

Andries,

Glaciation dulls ones ears. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andries

WDH: 
SAY WHAT?
STOP MUMBLING MAN, AND PASS ME MY DANG PARKA !
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

slider

Andries it is always good to see you and your wife at the project each year. I had no idea we were being charmed. Now that you have let the cat out of the bag we will be on guard.
al glenn

alan gage

This got me curious because it never occurred to me whose name should come first. From what I found it's a matter of etiquette rather than grammar. The grammar police say it doesn't matter but the etiquette police say it does.

I can certainly be accused of not paying attention in grammar class but I never had an etiquette class so I guess that's my excuse. :)

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

terrifictimbersllc

Why would anyone go to the store with mean Johnny? ??? ???
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

samandothers

You guys ain't rite!  Y'all crack me up!

alan gage

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 15, 2019, 10:52:51 AM
Why would anyone go to the store with mean Johnny? ??? ???
I was afraid he'd get insulted if I called him Johnny-ann.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

sawguy21

I was taught to say " Do you want to come to the store with me" but when Johnny tagged along it became "Do you want to come to the store with Johnny and I". Language is constantly evolving, certain words, phrases, and structure become the norm and accepted speech. Still, I cringe when I hear somebody who should know better massacre the language.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

moodnacreek

Northern Logger did an article about 'correct' woods English a while back. I do remember that a skidder or anything else that had been on fire was burnt [never burned]. Every body thinks the rebels talk different. I have been to sawmill auctions where people from Pa. and northern Vt. where hard to understand. Thank God we are not all the same, that would be boring.

WV Sawmiller

Down South it is "y'all" or "you all" (Which can be used as singular or plural), in parts of New York and New Jersey it may be "Youse Guys" and I worked a project at the WV Northern Panhandle where it is about 5 miles separating Western PA and Eastern OH and there it was "You'uns"
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

moodnacreek

W.V., that's New York city exclusively, never upstate.

WDH

Y'all just ain't not right.  These Northerners get corrupted by glaciation.  And, to add to the insult, to eschew grits.  That just ain't right. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Moody,

I stated parts of New York. You are absolutely right about Upstate New York. I think y'all should secede from the rest of the state. Actually there are some nice people in and around NYC but I will testify all the folks in the upper part of the state that I ever met were real fine folks. If they did not have that funny accent I would swear they were Southerners. I bet they actually like grits but they may not be able to admit it for fear of city spies visiting the area.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

A man has to stand up against the opposition.  Northerners too.  Stand up for grits.  Even in Upstate New York, the frozen tundra. 

Andries

Quote from: WDH on January 15, 2019, 07:34:00 PM
. . . . to eschew grits. . .  
Ok, alright.
Finally, someone (named WDH) has finally told us how to eat grits.
We eschew them.
But then, that might be the BAD grammar that is the result of toooo much heat - gets the brain frazzled. 
Takes an entire winter to recover from that over 70 degree heat.  :D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Dave Shepard

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 15, 2019, 12:06:11 PM
I was taught to say " Do you want to come to the store with me" but when Johnny tagged along it became "Do you want to come to the store with Johnny and I". Language is constantly evolving, certain words, phrases, and structure become the norm and accepted speech. Still, I cringe when I hear somebody who should know better massacre the language.
That's how I was taught, as well. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Old Greenhorn

How did this thread get so far off the rails so quickly. I wouldn't think you could even get here from there.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

I see y'all still fixin to git to the store.  I am gonna milk the kews.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!