iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS250 running problems

Started by bkkraft, October 16, 2006, 02:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkkraft

I bought a ms250 last fall and used it 3-4 times cutting firewood.  It sat most of the summer until a thunderstorm took out one of the large trees in my back yard.  At that time I noticed it wasn't quite running right.  It would start fine and idle but as soon as I would hit the trigger it would die.  It finally stayed running for me and I was able to finish the job.  Not thinking much about it, I put it away for the rest of the summer.  I just got it out again to do some tree trimming and sure enough it is doing it agian.  Any suggestions.  I can always take it to the dealer to have looked at but I thought if it was something simple I would try doing it myself.

Thanks for your help.

sawguy21

Are you running it dry then using fresh gas when you need it the next time? There is fuel stabilizer in Stihl's mix oil ( I assume you are using a quality oil) but it is not a cure all.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bill

Some fresh fuel mix and I wish I could remember the link - it maybe on Bailey's site - nonetheless pretty sure I got to it from FF - that has a pretty good article about adjusting carbs - including setting high ( or was it low ) speed mixture screw for bogging/stalling when nailing it off idle. Pretty sure you could find it with a search of FF if someone else doesn't jump in that remembers where the link is.

Good Luck  . . .

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Tony_T

Dirty air filter will cause a bog and also to run rich when cutting.  Need to really clean the filter every so often, detergent and warm water then allow to dry well.  Really small stuff will clog the pores and tapping off the dust will not get it out.

bkkraft

Thanks for you help and the link.  I will give your suggestions a try.

:)

rebocardo

On my MS-180 it was a loose cable on the trigger, since these saws look the same, it might be worth checking out before spending hard cash on it.

Camp Run Farm

Ditto on the air filter.  I have the same problem ocassionally and as soon as I clean the filter it runs fine. 

bkkraft

Cleaned the air filter and put in fresh fuel,  runs like a top.

Thanks for your help.

8)

Thank You Sponsors!