iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw delemma

Started by mainiac, November 01, 2006, 08:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mainiac

O.K. I am new to this sight and I have a question for you guys. I have a local shop that will sell me a new Husky 362xp with a 24" bar for $655 plus 5% sales tax. I have found the same saw on ebay (new) with free shipping, 24" bar, plus three chains for $599.

What would you do?
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum.I would buy it from my local dealer,even though it cost more.Need to support the local guy.You may need something minor,but without it you can't run the saw,and he will remember you bought it from him and help you on the spot.Better than him saying won't be able to get to until tomorrow. I just go to my dealer when I need one.I do price around to make sure I'm not getting clipped,but I always buy from a local dealer.Tell him about the Ebay deal and I doubt he'll match the price but he might throw the chains in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Also, welcome to the forum.
As thecfarm suggested, I would support the local guy too. You'll help keep him in business for your future needs, and avoid the potential frustration of the eBay transaction.
I bought from a young local fellow here just starting out in '75, and he's turned into a real whiz at chainsaw repair. He's also kept his prices under the bigger Stihl dealers around, and was the first to get the MS361 in his shop, which I bought for $500 (bought two at the same time) with 20" bar. The big dealers apparently had old stock to move, and said they couldn't even get the MS361 yet. Go figure.  :)

I hope he stays in business as long as I can still saw in the woods. But that may not happen. For sure, you won't be able to go to the eBay seller and get information, repairs, or a trade-up if desired.
But do what makes you feel best. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rahtreelimbs

Save $50 and buy a Stihl 361!!! 8) 8) 8)
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

sawguy21

I started to say what's a 'new' 362XP but looked on the US website. Not available here at the moment??? I agree with thecfarm, the dealer will probably throw in the chains and have service as well. A good deal for 60 skins.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bill

I hate to admit that I just don't trust strangers from afar with a whole lotta my money - I heard too many stories about things that "fell off a truck" and ended up on eBay - probably just urban gossip I suppose . ( Of course when we were younger our police friends - now retired -  would check out mfg serial numbers for us so we were more inclined to do rash things. ) I wish you well but iffen it were my money I'd stay with the guy I can go see if need be as he won't be trafficing in goods of questionable origins and will be standing right behind his merchandise.

Just my $.02

Good Luck and welcome to the FF

Al_Smith

A good dealer is more than worth the 60 bucks extra.There are no stocking dealers in this area on the Huskies but several on Stihls.

Of those Stihl dealers ,several are so so and one is by far the best in the country,in my opinion.This guy gets my business.He knows for a fact that likely the sun would rise in the west before old Al would shell out for a new saw but I give him quite a bit of parts business and he treats me real well.

I personally am a bit sceptical when I see a "new" saw advertised on e-bay.

mainiac

I have my answer. I will go with the local dealer. That shop is very good and the price diff. isn't worth it. Thanks for all your input. It has helped.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

SawTroll

Quote from: rahtreelimbs on November 01, 2006, 09:53:29 PM
Best advice so far!  8) 8)
The 361 is over a pound lighter.

....but also support the local dealer if he is any good - that price differense isn't much to worry about...... ;D
Information collector.

ehp

for that price can you not find a 372, there are still some out there and for pulling a 24 inch bar the 372 would make a better saw power wise

PineNut

Several years ago, I needed a new saw and went to my local dealer. While there, a customer told me I could get a better deal at Wal-Mart. I didn't realize the dealer heard me when I told the customer about how when you had a problem, Wal-Mart would "take it back in their shop and have you on the way in a few minutes." By some of his actions, I later realized the dealer had heard me.  That "extra" money I spent was one of best investments I have made.

Rail-O-Matic

If you go for the Ebay saw, make sure you pay using paypal or a credit card, then you are covered for false broken etc, then make sure that it has a current gaurantee for your country,
I came unstuck when I bought a Husky 350 from the States, which was not covered by our waranty, the UK version was 49cc and the US model 52.00, so be very careful.

I also bought a Shred 2165 from a guy, who sent everything as per normal, but when the saw got to me, the packing was very poor and she suffered a broken handle, which is part of the tank and an extra 80 bucks down the drain, I could have bought it for a little more with warranty card, worked out OK though as I managed to fix it.

Logg-saw bandmill, Stihl 088, Stihl MS880, Stihl MS660, Stihl 017, 018,  Husky 385XP, Husky 395, Husky 350, Echo WES 350ES, Echo CS 27T, Jonsered 2150 Turbo, Jonsered 111S, good old saw still going after more than 20 years hard service.

konrad695

I hope you went with local dealer.  I have an eBay story for you.  I bought a typical 11lb.  3hp saw from a seller with over 100 positive feedbacks.  I even asked seller extra questions and for more pictures. Well guess what?  I recieved a dirty, beat up part saw.  The missing/broken parts were air filter housing,half throttle pin, melted cover, throttle safety lever, lock lever, spring connecting them, chain plate, primer blub.  The sprocket had heavy grooves and the air filter was packed solid, got wet, and hardened.  This is a piece of junk.  Here is what I had to do.  Email seller (3 times), call seller (twice),  wait ten days after receiving saw.  File a dispute with PayPal.  Wait for Pay Pal to contact seller.  All seller has to say is no WITHOUT ANY REASON.  Escalate dispute to claim.  Seller has ten days to say no again.  Check saw into local dealer who doesn't want any thing to do with it.  Get written estamate.  Fax all documents to PayPal.  WAIT AGAIN.  If you email documents then PayPal say they can't open them due to security issues.(B.S.).  Guess what, if I win I will be refunded the money I paid for saw and shipping to me.  The seller only has to refund the money after I PAY to ship it back  and the seller says he recieved it.  So the eBay way is the wrong way.  You can try a claim with your credit card, but you have to work backwards through PayPal, then eBay, then a Storefront that only exists on eBay.  This store carries no cash, and can be closed at the drop of a dime.  So everyone, PLEASE save yourself.  If you're going to buy online go directly to someone like Bailey's, Madsens and the such.  Sorry to take so long but this a long never ending story. 
P.S.  eBay/PayPal buyer protection can only be furnished through the seller, so see story above.

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D You pays yer money and you takes yer chances. Ebay is great IF you get what you pay for. I have no intention of using it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: rahtreelimbs on November 01, 2006, 09:53:29 PM

I agree with Rich's sentiment.  But if it's on this saw, then by all means buy local!  This is a no-brainer.  The local guy (provided he's a good dealer) will take care of you down the road with chains, service, advice, deals on future saws, whatever.  The ebay guy could care less.  Then there's the having to look the local dealer in the eye when you take your saw in for servicing or a simple carb adjustment.  Buy it from the local guy and that carb adjustment will likely be free and on the spot, and he'd probably be able to show you how to do it.  Buy from ebay, and you can pick it up in two days for $10.  You probably know how to adjust a carb, but it's just an example.

If the local guy is good, give him your business.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Thank You Sponsors!