iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New ARCH build underway

Started by Radar67, April 08, 2009, 07:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

After cutting a big tree recently, I realized that I had been putting off building something I really needed. I used my tractor to drag some logs out of a wet area and the mud is caked on the logs. I'll have to wash or debark before I can cut them.

I've had the metal for the project laying in the yard for over two years, so yesterday I decided to get started on my logging arch. It is being designed for 30 inch diameter logs, 12 foot long. This is the most common length I cut on my current mill.

So here is the picture of the first part of the build. It is made of 2 inch square, 1/4 inch thick tube. I have about 5 hours in it so far.

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

twobears

danG:i was hoping you where building a debarker..  ;D i,de really like to have a stand alone debarker at my mill..but,i can,t afford to buy one.i could build one if i had a good set of plans tho.

delbert

fishpharmer

Radar, nice fit and finish.  You put alot of work in that already.  Looks great to me.  What kind of axles are you gonna use?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Radar67

I plan to use a 3500 pound hub and stub axle for trailers.

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Chico

My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Don K

When you get it built and tested, I wanna copy your design.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

bedway

Looking good, ill be following your progress.  bedway

Radar67

Quote from: Don K on April 09, 2009, 06:22:28 AM
I wanna copy your design.

It will be fairly simple, add the long top rail, drop it to a hitch, add a couple of hooks, rig up my honker tongs, and maybe add a winch. May take all summer though.

bedway

Aint no hurry here, im retarded,,,i mean retired :D

olyman

It will be fairly simple, add the long top rail, drop it to a hitch, add a couple of hooks, rig up my honker tongs, and maybe add a winch. May take all summer though.

[/quote]  a 30 inch dia log, thats still 30 inches at the other end of 12 foot. If its pin oak--it weighs 3830 lbs. That being said,will the 2x2 1/4 wall be strong enough?? As you lift it--yes. But as you start moving, that may want to splay on ya.

Radar67

olyman, you haven't been down here in the south much, have you?  :) The 30 inch logs are few and far between. My most common size will be 12 to 20 inches.  ;D

With that said, the professional versions are not using much different material than I am using. I do plan to brace it up at key points. ;) And if it does splay, I have a welder and a cutting torch to fix it with.  :)

tonto

This looks like something that I have been kicking around building for my atv. I am undecided weather to build or buy a logrite. I will be following your progress, good luck. Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

John Mc

If you're looking at an ATV arch, I'm wondering what you think of the arches that don't have a winch to lift the log, they have a pole that runs diagonally from near the tow hitch up front, up to the top of the arch. The log choker rides on this pole. The idea is that you lift the log as you start pulling the arch.

What I like about this concept is that if you're towing down hill, and the log tries to run ahead, it will slide back down the sloped pole until the log hits the ground, providing some breaking. This seems as though it would make sense for an ATV, which doesn't have the breaks (or the weight) to stop a log.

I've never used one of this design. I'm wondering how well it works. My brother-in-law is planning to build an arch to tow behind his Coot (a 1960's era amphibious ATV).

John
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

tonto

Yeah John Mc, I remember seeing one on the forum that I think Ironwood built that was this design, it looks pretty practical and fairly easy to build. When I get time I will do a search in the archives. Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

nas

I know the Norwood arch works like that, seems like a pretty good design.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

olyman

Quote from: Radar67 on April 10, 2009, 08:59:14 PM
olyman, you haven't been down here in the south much, have you?  :) The 30 inch logs are few and far between. My most common size will be 12 to 20 inches.  ;D

With that said, the professional versions are not using much different material than I am using. I do plan to brace it up at key points. ;) And if it does splay, I have a welder and a cutting torch to fix it with.  :)
you said for 30 inch logs, as i assumed thats a lot of what youd be hauling. also,if you use a boat winch like suggested to lift the logs up, once you have them up, you could have a crossbrace on the bottom of the arch--to hold the arch together.about the same size tubing as your using for the arch.

Radar67

I did say I designed it for a 30 inch log, I run across some logs in the 25 to 26 inch range, and I have seen some bigger, but not on my property. I'll mainly be using this to move stuff on my land and around the mill, so no highway or public road use. I'll hook it to my tractor to keep logs out of the mud.

Onthesauk

John Mc

I've got a picture in my gallery of an arch like you're describing.  Haven't gotten around to using it yet, still sitting down in the woodshed.  Home built one that I bought some time ago.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Slingshot

Thought I would come in here for my first post and show some pictures of my log arch that seems to be somewhat like the one Radar is building. It measures 32 inches rear opening and top beam is 36 inches from ground, works really well. Got into sawmilling for myself this past winter after buying a used Norwood that this arch came with. Sold the mill and bought a new Norwood 2000 that is ready to mill soon as the weather is a little better here in Kentucky. Nice days come and go. I live near Elizabethtown, semi-retired (painter, paperhanger, carpenter)

pasbuild

First post     WITH pictures :o   I'm impressed
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Quebecnewf

i to had one of these built. Use it to haul logs onto the rack for sawing. I must say it works great and saves me a lot of work. I believe there are a few pics in my gallery of the unit. Waiting for the snow to melt so I can get back into the sawing game. Went in on good friday and shoveled out the mill. We had a monster snowstorm on easter sunday and had to shovel it all out again . We are still snowmobiling here and the sea ice is still frozen crossing to the mainland. We measured it yesterday and still 2 feet thick. Spring is slow to arrive this year.

Quebecnewf

Radar67

I've been a bum with this build.  ;) I got back on it a few days ago. I'll have to update my pictures now that the stub axles, top bar, and some gullets are in place. I should have it ready before I head off to school in early March.

Thank You Sponsors!