iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

An Army of WEN

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber, December 07, 2012, 12:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

This time of year I do a lot of glue ups in-doors to keep the glue from freezing in the garage. I found myself a bit short of table space but did not want to build any table that would be in the way for the rest of the year when I don't need as much table space. Was thinking of some sort of folding tables and went to Menards to see what they might have.

Well once again they did not let me down. They had these WEN clamping and folding work benches for just $9.99 each. They will hold 250 pounds and are pretty nifty for an item less than $10. I could not buy the hardware to build one of these for that price. Have nice rubber feet on them and even came with four log dogs with each bench. They are fairly light, and since they fold, they will work out well for when we set up at craft shows. Can just chuck 2 foot wide, thin piece of ply wood between two of them with some 1 x 3's for support, and table cloth over them and then we have another 32 square feet of display area.

Right now i am fixing to glue up a lot of hardwood cutting boards and eastern red cedar sign blanks, so they are going to get a lot of use in the next few months. 

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

samandothers

Looks like great solution at a low cost!   Let us know how they work out once they start engaging resistence in for form of glue ups or weight.  Go forth and command the Army of WEN!

Tree Feller

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Busy Beaver Lumber

Sam

Already started a glue up of a few cutting boards and they are working great. I have the bar clamps mounted to a board and the clamping action of the table grips the board holding the bar clamps. Nice and stable. Each bar clamp setup is gluing 3 cutting boards each time so these tables give me a lot more capacity now on top of that which i already have. Can glue up like 24 cutting boards at a time now
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Den Socling

jueston

he says he has tried them out. but as the rules of the forum clearly state, untill we see a picture of them in action, they remain in the state we last saw them. sitting unused.... :D

samandothers

Glad it worked as you desired.  Do post picture of your glue up set up if you can.

Thanks

Busy Beaver Lumber

Jueston

Here is the pictures you asked for as proof that the new benches were being used. As stated yesterday,  the bar clamp has 3 cutting boards in it, each 5  x 7 inches in size. These are popular for cutting cheese of small sausage sticks, especially for RV's where space is at a premium. ome people also use them under hot pots they bring to the dining table. The best part about them is that with the exception of the small piece of purpleheart, all the rest of the wood came out of the scrap wood bin. Would normally sell these for $5 a piece. At that price, it is like getting about $20 a board foot for scrap wood. I can glue one of these up in about 2 minutes. I use a glue bottle with a 2 inch wide roller head. Makes quick work of it. Just ordered another 8 pipe clamp heads to beef up production.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

samandothers

Benches look like they are serving the need!

Once glued how do you finish? Do you joint them or sand them?

They look great!

Busy Beaver Lumber

Sam

From this point, here are the steps that will be done to them. Note some steps are optional:

1. Remove excess glue from both sides with paint scraper
2. Joint both edges
3. Trim both ends
4. If desired, route decorative edge on perimeter using router
5. Run through surface planer on both sides
6. If desired, use CNC machine to route drip collection rim around perimeter
7. If desired, use CNC machine to route initials or image into face of board
8. Run through drum sander both sides
9. Final sanding using hand held sander and inspection
10. Apply food safe mineral oil finish
11. If desired, screw four rubber feet to the rear side, one in each corner

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Lud

Good job on the cutting boards.  I picked up one of those little clamp tables at Harbour Freight for fairly low money.  Just sayin', for the guys who don't have a Menards. ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

samandothers

Busy Beaver

Thanks for outlining your steps. They look like they would finish great and what a great way to use scrap wood.   The benches are a great buy and a big help!

Thank You Sponsors!