iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to saw aspen?

Started by idaho04, September 05, 2007, 07:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idaho04

I got 6 big aspen logs, 24" dia from my neighbor. I was wondering what is the value of aspen, how to saw it and what is it the lumber good for?

beenthere

Aspen can make good construction lumber, in dimension sizes. Also, good for casegoods, such as drawer sides/backs and parts to be upholstered.  Even has a nice figure in some pieces, that has some striking sheen to it.
In other words, lots of things.... :)

What types of things do you make from wood? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

idaho04

I usually mill cedar, pines and firs. I air dry the lumber. I make outdoor furniture, tables, chairs, benches, etc. Never milled an aspen. I have WM LT40G28.

Sprucegum

You will notice everything Beenthere said aspen is good for is "indoor stuff"

Aspen doesn't like outdoor weather/moisture near as well as the woods you mentioned. It can be used outside if you have nothing else, long as you can keep it reasonably dry.

logwalker

It used to go into casket linings. How 'bout that? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

OneWithWood

I milled a lot of aspen on a very similar mill.  All of it went into dimension lumber that I used to build the barn I keep the mill, kiln and woodworking equipment in.  Keep it dry and it is a pleasure to work with.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Brad_S.

Perhaps it's a regional thing, but every aspen I've sawn excessively bowed up off the saw and required that the cant be turned 180° before taking the next board. Often, a cleanup cut is also required beforehand to minimize thick and thin boards. Luckly your logs are fairly large. Cutting thick dimensional stock off of small aspen logs compounds the problem.
Jeff has cut one or two aspens in his day and can probably tell us whether this is normal in aspen in all areas of the country.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Furby

I had a lot of trouble with cant movement in the aspen tops.
The butts didn't move nearly as much.
There are different types of aspen as well.

Dave Shepard

I have only sawn a few aspen, I hope I don't have to do any more. The boards jumped, wiggled, split, cupped, bowed and do-se-doed all over the place. It made some interesting lumber though, with the white sapwood on either side of the board, with the dark heartwood in the middle. If they ever got it dried in one piece, they were going to make cabinet doors out of it, which would definately get your attention.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!