iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cedar bed.

Started by DansSawmill, April 04, 2015, 04:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DansSawmill

hi all,
just wanted to show off my cedar bed i made.
hackberry, hope this gives you ideas.

dan
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too
now with a 98' lt40 super

LeeB

The headboard is really nice. CNC?
I also like the simplicity of the footboard. It doesn't distract from the headboard.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

That deserves a WOW !!!  I love the way the sapwood looks like snow on the ground.  Very creative.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

21incher

Great job. I think it gives everyone ideas. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

coalsmok

That is a very nice bed.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

How did you do that carving Dan? CNC? REALLY NICE!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

landscraper

That is CRAZY nice!  I could see that in a western lodge or ranch.  You can't hear it from there but I am applauding.  Where did the artwork for the carving come from - self-drawn or ....?
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

thecfarm

That looks mighty nice. And than some.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DansSawmill

its done by cnc, took 4 1/2 hours .. 1 1/2 inch thick cedar live edge.
the artwork came from http://www.vectorart3d.com/
i like their artwork a lot, very detailed.
i use aspire to manipulate it and blend them together.
hopefully this amoung other things will be my retirement when the coal plant that i work at closes.
Im on facebook under Dan's Sawmill for other examples of stuff i've done, look me up and like my page, stop in and say hi.
dan
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too

hackberry jake

Very nice! I don't have 3d software so I dont know if I could pull something like that off.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

DansSawmill

vcarve pro 8 now allows you to import 3d stuff.
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too

yukon cornelius

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Left Coast Chris

Just LOVE it!  :o :)

What finish will it get and what brand/model CNC do you have?   The small table top models are possibly affordable.  Been thinking about one.  Yours must be pretty good sized to do that exceptional slab carving.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

jueston

Quote from: hackberry jake on April 05, 2015, 11:15:35 AM
Very nice! I don't have 3d software so I dont know if I could pull something like that off.

i purchased cut2d and cut3d when i got my mill, and now that i have used them a little i wish i would have aimed a little higher. if you call some of the professional CAD/CAM vendors, explain that your a little guy who isn't making any money, you really like there software but couldn't possibly pay those prices for your hobby, some of them will give you upto 75% off. when i priced our solid-cam express, it only came to $100 more than my cut2d and cut3d software.

the professional software does have a little bit more of a learning curve, because it has so many options, but once you get the hang of it, its a whole different ballgame. the professional software creators have 10 to 20 years more experience than companies like vectric, and it shows in the programming.

what do you use now? i've heard there are some there are very useable Linux cad/cam options.

DansSawmill

i built my own cnc, 4x8 joes hybrid... for not much more than a small tabletop, used vcarve pro (almost went cut2d) untill i made enough cutting stuff to get aspire, same story with the cnc started with wood table and mdf construction, as the money came in i went to steel table and aluminum construction. took 4 years, but a fun ride all the way. now i am building a bigger shop, then will add a 8 foot rotary attachment to the cnc. (and maybe woodmizers lathe to prep the logs)
dan
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too

Thank You Sponsors!