iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

12 foot picnic table in the works

Started by yukon cornelius, April 13, 2015, 11:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

We recently got an order for a 12 foot long picnic table from live edge cedar  ;D . This project I will make sure to get pictures of. I brought home the logs tonight. Life is Good! 8)
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

LaneC

Good deal. You can put a lot of food and people on a 12 footer. Can't wait for pictures.
Man makes plans and God smiles

yukon cornelius

Start with these today

ended here. we had a few visitors here today (Very rare!) and the found mushrooms in the yard so we walked the homestead and brought home around 100.

This table should have been done today but isn't due til the weekend so I will be ok on it.

Lud

Years ago I whipped out a 12 foot picnic table the day before the 4th of July.  It worked great but was quite heavy.  but I anticipated that and had put two sets of legs in the middle spaced appropriately.

Cut it in half later with the saw.  Sixfooters are easier to move and give you some placement options. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

yukon cornelius

Quote from: Lud on April 17, 2015, 08:09:45 AM
Years ago I whipped out a 12 foot picnic table the day before the 4th of July.  It worked great but was quite heavy.  but I anticipated that and had put two sets of legs in the middle spaced appropriately.

Cut it in half later with the saw.  Sixfooters are easier to move and give you some placement options. 8)

I have a set of legs for the middle as well. this was a dream customer. called about the 6 foot live edge cedar tables we make and said he did not care what it cost, he wanted it 12 foot and a 40" minimum top. for a small shop like us, I said  8) absolutely!

ely

looks like our shop with the firearm leaned up ....

yukon cornelius

Done

12 feet long 46 inches wide made from full 2 inch lumber. too heavy to move by hand 

yukon cornelius

Quote from: ely on April 17, 2015, 11:20:41 AM
looks like our shop with the firearm leaned up ....
its rough country here. we have lots of critters slithering in around here!

Ljohnsaw

Nice!  I'm assuming this is an outside-table.  What do you use to finish it and how often does it need refreshing/redoing?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WDH

Yukon,

What a fine job you did on that table  8). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

yukon cornelius

Quote from: ljohnsaw on April 17, 2015, 10:30:35 PM
Nice!  I'm assuming this is an outside-table.  What do you use to finish it and how often does it need refreshing/redoing?

It is outdoors. we use helmsmans minwax teak oil. we have had good luck with it so far and it is available at Wally world. I would redo it at least once a year if it were mine to keep.

thecfarm

I would like to be sitting at that table with just about enough room for one plate and me and all the rest FOOD!!!  ;D Now that's a table,a mighty fine table at that!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

That is one might fine and "BIG" table.  Nice work as usual.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Left Coast Chris

A real beauty!  You can just picture a big family around the table and all the good times....... :) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

beenthere

A"big family" could be 1200 lbs (or more) of people on each side. They'll need to work in unison.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

Definately or more. I could provide 1/4 of that by myself.  :o
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Andy White

Larry,
That is a fine table! Again, you have shown your [out of the box] creativity. I have yet to saw, or be able to get some Cedar for sawing. After the project I'm working on now, I hope to change that! Good work. Stay safe, and keep the dust flying!   8) 8)    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

Quote from: Andy White on April 19, 2015, 07:32:16 AMI have yet to saw, or be able to get some Cedar for sawing.
Then when you come back for more Walnut, we will top it off with ERC.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

yukon cornelius

you guys are kind! Sometimes I cant believe this is what I do for a living now. someone just bought one of these tables 8 hours away and are going to pay us $300 to haul it to them. This blows my mind! We have stuff going all over the U.S. Stuff I made.... I am not bragging, just so surprised. I am pretty sure this is what I am supposed to do for a living.

LaneC

That is mighty fine. Maybe that is why he wanted it so big, so that no one could return and try to "borrow"it :D They would never find enough help to pack it off.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: yukon cornelius on April 19, 2015, 09:26:25 AM
you guys are kind! Sometimes I cant believe this is what I do for a living now. someone just bought one of these tables 8 hours away and are going to pay us $300 to haul it to them. This blows my mind! We have stuff going all over the U.S. Stuff I made.... I am not bragging, just so surprised. I am pretty sure this is what I am supposed to do for a living.

This is what its all about....loving something you do.  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Mooseherder

WDH

Every time that I look at this table, I like it even more. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

yukon cornelius

We had some family over today and we enjoyed it before it goes to its forever home  ;D We all sat on one side and there is no chance this thing will tip. it is so heavy it wont even budge. One great thing about making this stuff is I get to enjoy it for a while and always have something new. Maybe its how a car dealer feels....well if he had to make the cars before he drove them  :D

Magicman

But that car dealer is not able to enjoy the pride in the building, and knowing that they are creating a work of art that will be enjoyed by many for years to come.  You are adding your time, which is the most precious thing that you have to give.

hackberry jake

I envision that being the center-piece in a big fancy gazebo. I hope it doesn't have to sit out in the sun. Great work!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

yukon cornelius

They picked it up yesterday and loved it! He said it was better than he ever imagined it to be. then he said he wanted another one just like it pretty soon  8)

Thank You Sponsors!