iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Veggy oil for saw blade lube?

Started by mike dee, November 23, 2023, 09:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike dee

Anyone here use vegetable oil for band saw blade lube?

I'm using canola oil in my chain saws. Cheaper than buying it pre-coloured and labelled enviro-chainsaw oil.

On the pro side it's less stinky than diesel and better for the environment - and my lungs.

On the con side is the glycerine gets sticky and gooey after sitting a while. Would get stinky too once the bacteria sets in. A little brake cleaner un-gums my chainsaw blades if they get sticky.
Bozeman Saw 26"x124"

chep

Use cold pressed oil only. It will say on the jug. You are setting yourself up for misery otherwise

chickenchaser

Since "Rendered Chicken Fat" was not an option...

Diesel then 

water and cascade. 
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

SawyerTed

I've started adding methanol/denatured alcohol to my dishwashing detergent water lube.  For 2 reasons: 1) to reduce freezing temperature and; 2) methanol cuts the sap a bit better than dish detergent alone.  

Methanol is the active ingredient in windshield washer fluid.  Buying undiluted means I'm not buying 50% or more water.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

So Apple juice is made from crushed apples
Orange Juice is made from squished oranges
Canola oil is made from crushed canola (cold press anyway, the other stuff is chemical expelled)

What is baby oil made from?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

The stuff that comes out of the back end of a baby.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

barbender

Ok Southside, but before you go squeezing the oil out of a baby can you explain what a canola is?
Too many irons in the fire

NaySawyer

Not veg oil .. was recommended by gas hedge trimmer maker for blades .. did it a couple of times but dried like glue cementing blades together .. and sticky .. NOT for sawmill blades!

doc henderson

A cannoli is a desert I had back when I lived in NY! :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

This reference has a pic of southside as a baby.

baby oil
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

Well, at least he came into the world with hair...
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

I never had that much hair, they used a body double for that picture.  Canola is the PC name for the plant otherwise known as Rapeseed. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike dee

Quote from: NaySawyer on November 23, 2023, 10:03:09 PM
Not veg oil .. was recommended by gas hedge trimmer maker for blades .. did it a couple of times but dried like glue cementing blades together .. and sticky .. NOT for sawmill blades!
A little brake cleaner does the trick
Bozeman Saw 26"x124"

redbeard

We used vegtable oil for lube on the Cooks AC 36 making food grade wood products a few years back. It worked well the drip on the steel wheels can be a heavier flow especially using Diesel. and it's true shelf life with the vegetable oil once opened doesn't last very long. Especially if you store it in cold weather. 
Didn't have success with other mill that has belted wheels, blade slipped . 
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Thank You Sponsors!