iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Little Friend........

Started by Burlkraft, February 24, 2006, 08:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

One morning last fall I had a visit from a young Great Horned Owl........

Yesterday I was walking in the woods and saw him eating a rabbit in the tree above one of our bird feeders.....

I'm glad I could help ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Tom

It's pretty neat when a wild thing takes up at the house, isn't it Steve? It' s Coons around here mostly.  Lots of stuff would stay if we fed them but coons just seem think that they have found a good community in which to live.

Unfortunately they and I keep different bed-times and I see them to seldom to do much recognition. :)

sprucebunny

That's really neat ;D

It looks like he either wants to go for a ride or thinks your Chevvy is dead ;D

I see hawks, red shoulder I think, quite often along the dirt roads and a big owl about once a year in the big hemlock woods.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Burlkraft

He musta wanted a ride, cuz the Chevy is far from dead :D :D :D :D :D

Jeff

"Chevy is Dead"  Arh! Good one Joan. :D  :D   I love our Chevy, but that was jest too funny. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

It's a good thing owls have feathers.  I saw a young one nekkid in a Barn Owl story in National Geograpic one time.  Man!  are they ugly.  That's a face only a mother can love.

SwampDonkey

Saw one this winter, but with most of the big woods being cut around here they are more scarce. I used to here them at night, giving a hoot in the woods along the creek. I see goshawks or marsh hawks in winter here. I saw one that had just ripped apart a grouse before I startled it, but it lugged it off with him into a popple tree. Along the river I also see a few eagles this time of year.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paschale

That's a cool picture.  Man...it's been years since I've heard an owl.   :-\  Being a city guy most of the time, it's hard to get out, but to my mind, there are two sounds of birds that I love more than any other:  the sound of owls at night, echoing through the forest, and the sound of loons in the morning on a northern lake shrouded in mist.  Thinking of that brings back a flood of fond memories from Boy Scout Camp growing up, and rowing across the lake at the crack of dawn to pick up our food supplies.  Those sure were good times.   :)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

sawguy21

The sound of that loon brings peace doesn't it.  :) I remember hearing the mourning doves at daybreak.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Patty

We have morning doves here every summer. I really enjoy their cooing ? when I go for morning walks. Norm says they taste like chicken  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Burlkraft

Patty,

A lot of the birds have returned here. I was just noticing yesterday that the air is full of song and the feeders are emptying out faster these days. The doves are plentyful now and there is a lot of cooing going on. It's too bad for them though...........we're supposed to get 7 to 10 inches of snow today >:( >:( >:( >:(

Nothing sadder than seeing a robin in a blizzard ::) ::)

SwampDonkey

I'm very surprised I have not seen a robin here yet. We have no snow to speak off, although on the east side of the river there was a blizzard yesterday and 4 inches and ice on the roads in the hills. Back home here it's been snow flurries all week but it don't stick. If the robins aren't here it's because there is something nasty waiting to happen.  :-\ ::)

Man I wish I had some spike boots today, I could barely stand up with all the ice in the woods. I'de rather have fluffy snow than that stuff.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Our 7-10 " of snow didn't materialize, but think it went to the south along the IL-WI border. We have an inch or two of very wet snow. Not bad.
But the robins were here earlier in the week on Sunday after 65° on Sat. They were ready, but not for the white stuff today. High School basketball tournament, and it always is a bad weekend for that, seems like.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!