iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIG KITTY

Started by goose63, February 18, 2018, 01:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I just mentioned donkeys in another topic.  A customer of mine had donkeys which protected his cattle.  Problem was that the old Jack saw the newborn calves as not part of "his" herd and started killing them.  That was his big mistake.  The customer sold the rest of the donkeys but that old Jack did not make it to the sale.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

starmac

Glad he didn't takethat jack to the sale and cost someone else a calf or two.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

WV Sawmiller

When we first got our mule he would chase the cows and goats and even bit the tails off a couple of newborn calves. Once we got the horse he has not bothered anything else. He just stays with the horse and leaves everything else (Now there is nothing else) alone. I never knew they were so social. If I pen them up and let the horse out first and he is out of sight when I release the mule he goes crazy running the fence and braying till he finds the horse. If the horse dies first I will have to buy something else to keep him company.

I never heard of keeping donkeys with cows for protection but up here everyone with sheep have a donkey or llama with them to protect them from coyotes and stray dogs and such. I don't know what they would do with a big cat or such. There is a video floating around about a mule killing a mountain lion somewhere out west. He was pretty vicious about attacking it. I think the hounds had bayed the cat then when the hunters rode up the mule broke free and attacked the lion.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

WV - I run three draft horses with our cattle.  They do work in harness and ride in saddle, but otherwise they graze and live with the herd.  They lived out west and know what predators are - they fear nothing, and take very good care of the cattle, newborns and all, 2000 lbs behind a hoof the size of a dinner plate makes quite the weapon.  One night some hunting hounds got in with the cattle and quite a commotion broke out I ran across the field but did not get there in time as I head several whumps and quite a lot of baying after.  I did not find the poor dog or dogs, but did feel bad for them as clearly they were injured.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Southside,

Did you check the tops of the nearby trees? My horse is big but yours are bigger and I can see them putting a hound between the uprights if they landed a solid kick.

BTW - do you have to trim your horse's hooves? I have to get the farrier over several times a year for the mule but the big horse's hooves just naturally wear off perfectly with no maintenance required. I don't run shoes on them as we aren't working them and we have plenty of rocks on the place they could slip on if shod.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

I gave up on shoes and trimming probably a decade ago or more, never have had a problem since. Once every couple years I might have to pick up a hood and nip a corner or something, but that is all. No cracks, great heel, no issues at all. Personally I think we have created a racket when it comes to equine hoof care, keeping them in a stall, then trimming and putting a hole in the hoof for a nail, only to add supplements to their diet to help the feet.  I have seen many a mustang and burrow out in Nevada and Oregon, none were trimmed, shod, or wore a blanket in the winter and they survived on sage and cheatgrass, all in good flesh.  My guys are not quite that hardy, but they seem happy. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Mine run in the hillside pasture year round. I admit I overfeed them in the winter. We generally have plenty of grass and springs on the place for water so in summer nothing needed. My neighbor has an adjoining fenceline and has me run them there in the summer so he get free pasture mowing and I get more grass so works well for both of us. The mules hooves grow fast and long and have to be trimmed. I waited too long one time and nearly crippled him. We have a very good young Amish farrier who got him straightened out after a couple of sessions. I get him a few times a year to trim them. Never takes him 10 minutes. Costs me way more time and money to go get him and take him back than he charges but he is a bargain in his workmanship to the mule. Other than the mule's hooves they get and require very little maintenance.
Howard Green

Woodcutter_Mo

There are a couple of those big cats around here too. There have been several sightings in the last several years. I've seen a couple(or maybe just the same one multiple times  ???) as well as the neighbors. 
 About 10-15 years back we had a Shetland pony that came running out of the woods with a large set of claw marks going down both sides of his back, which I'm almost certain had to have been from a mountain lion. That's the only problem we've personally had that I know of that was probably from one of those big cats. The only other. And just a couple years back I was way out in the woods hunting morels and found a fresh set of tracks, needless to say after that I started carrying my Springfield XDm when walking out that far  :D

Also someone a few miles from me shot one in his back yard because it had been killing his chickens. 
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Chuck White

I think I would shoot one in my backyard, even if it was just laying there, doing nothing!  ;)

Plain and simple, I just don't want them that close!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Chuck,

I'd have to think long and hard on that. I have let bears pass freely here and have told all my neighbors they are off limits on my place even though we have a legal season on them because I did not see them as a threat to me, my family or our pets or property. If someone was really worried about a big cat on their place and shot it I would understand and have no ill will but might not shoot one myself unless he was clearly threatening us. 

I'm even pretty tolerant of even poisonous snakes if they are not in an area where they are a threat. I even let a black mamba go free in Ethiopia on vacation (of course I did not know that was what he was at the time ;D) because he was in an isolated area not threatening anyone.
Howard Green

coxy

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 23, 2018, 02:24:02 PM
Chuck,

I'd have to think long and hard on that. I have let bears pass freely here and have told all my neighbors they are off limits on my place even though we have a legal season on them because I did not see them as a threat to me, my family or our pets or property. If someone was really worried about a big cat on their place and shot it I would understand and have no ill will but might not shoot one myself unless he was clearly threatening us.

I'm even pretty tolerant of even poisonous snakes if they are not in an area where they are a threat. I even let a black mamba go free in Ethiopia on vacation (of course I did not know that was what he was at the time ;D) because he was in an isolated area not threatening anyone.
WV we did the same thing for years never shot any bears well it came back to bit us in the ars there are so many around here there like rats its nothing to see 4-5 bears a week  and  the tracks are way more than deer any more i had a cub get in my chicken coop a few years back and the dang thing couldn't figure out how to get back out till mama came and ripped the back half of the coop apart 2x6 studs t1-11 and osb board didn't mean any thing to her  so i now have a no walk zone with in 500ft of my house 

starmac

All I can say is if you have a mountain lion laying in your back yard and you decide to leave it alone until it decides to bother you, when it does decide to, it is too late.

If one was in my yard or even working close to the house, pasture, whatever, the SSS principle would be tested to the max.

Woodcutter_Mo

I figure they have plenty of deer and such in the woods to eat, i figure they don't need to be in the yard around livestock or even worse young kids. They're fascinating critters and I'd have a hard time shooting one way out away from the house or pasture but if one was hanging around close the animals or house it'd be game over. 
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I saw the leash and thought he belonged to somebody.  :D

Biggest cat I've ever seen.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green

caveman

Poston, I was kind of thinking along the same lines as you.  The cat's leash was too tight and he lost consciousness.

I have only seen two Panthers in the wild in Florida during my lifetime.  The first was as I was pulling a John boat out of a phosphate pit south of Bartow about 30 years ago and the other was crossing the road two summers ago on HW 64 between Parrish and Duette.  The males really cover a lot of ground looking for mates.  Unfortunately a lot of their traditional ground in Florida has been developed or fragmented to the point that several are killed on highways.  Most of our big cats are inbred (too much frolicking in the shallows) and cats from out west have been introduced to deepen the gene pool.  
Caveman

starmac

Interesting caveman, was it the game department that brought in more lions from out west?

caveman

Hybrid Panthers Helping Rare Cat Rebound in Florida

In 1995, the state and federal governments began a genetic restoration project. Eight Texas females were released in South Florida and produced 17 kittens. The last of those females were removed last fall and retired to a private wildlife conservation center.
Genetic intervention will have to continue as long as there are fewer than 100 panthers, because the cats won't be able to find mates they're not related to, Land said. But the next phase won't start until more studies are completed on the long-term results of the last effort.

This excerpt was taken from Big Cat Rescue.  The west I was referring to is Texas.  
Caveman

mike_belben

Its called "re-wilding" or was when i was studying these people 15 years ago.  They want lions, tigers, grizzly and wolves to roam the earth again.  Theyre a small bunch but were very active and tended to get jobs with influence in terms of wildlife policy.  Many were into monkeywrenching, tree hugging and releasing smuggled animals illegally.  
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!