iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Straight 2x4s

Started by Qweaver, November 15, 2007, 08:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I'm still having a really hard time sawing straight 2x4s out of poplar.  For my own use, I'm using the sawing pattern below.  I'm making thru'&thru' cuts at 1 5/8 thick until I have a 3 5/8" wide cant which I then cut into as many 1 5/8" pieces as I can get.  These stay pretty straight.  I then edge the slabs to what ever size I can get and stack them to dry.  If I need more 2x4s later on, then I re-cut them from these and they stay pretty straight.  But what if a customer wants an entire log cut up into 2x4s.  I guess they are just going to get some bowed boards.  I tried the second method but the outside boards really bowed.  Suggestions?

So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Dan_Shade

I use the method shown in your first picture. My experience has shown the boards to crook and twist really bad when sawn like shown in the second picture. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

logwalker

How many straight 2x's can you get out of each method? Is poplar of wood that wants to move easily? I would think so. What are you using the 2x4's for? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

ohsoloco

If I'm sawing for myself I go by your first diagram, and I try and talk my custom cut orders into it as well.  There's one guy that just doesn't want anything other than 2x4's, and I've already explained the problems with that, but the customer is always right  ::)  The logs are urban spruce, so a lot of the 2x4's will probably fall apart from the huge knots  :-\

Dave Shepard

Whenever I am sawing 8" and narrower, I use the first method. It has given me the best yield of straight boards. I am always trying to get as wide a board as possible, so I don't mind a few wider ones off the outside.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

footer

When I want streight 2X4's I go to the lumber yard and pick them out :D

limbrat

I have had very good results with drying framing lumber on edge with the hump up. Stack them about four feet wide and put the boards finger width apart put the trash on top to weight the better wood down.
ben

Captain

I will use Limbrat's stacking method on a large amount of 2xs.

We also use method 1 to reduce the amount of spike knots in our framing lumber.

Even using method one, especially in someting like smaller diameter oak, it is hard to get 2 straight 2x4s out of the first 8" wide face opening.  Softwoods are certainly more forgiving, especially if the log was straight to begin with.

Captain

RSteiner

I've found milling popular on a Mobile Dimension mill that it likes to move a bit.
And, that if is is not stuck well that it will really move as it dries.  However, once dry it is a pretty stable wood.  On the MD pattern number one is the closer of the two.

I made a pantry for my wife a few years back and made all the shelving out of popular.  The shelves have not moved one bit.

Randy
Randy

woodmills1

outside boards from poplar always seem to move in all directions, especially if there is any wane.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!