iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another tree to id pls

Started by Georgia088, December 17, 2017, 09:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georgia088

I have another tree on the property that I am beginning to saw up that has fallen over recently.
Thanks for the help I am still tree id stupid.

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

TKehl

First thought is Hickory, but not sure. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

nativewolf

if you could slice the end grain off and get a close up , really close, that would be the most helpful.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

also post it to the tree id section of the forum,
Liking Walnut

Georgia088

Sorry, I thought I posted there.  :-\ also, had a local guy look at pictures and he said possibly black walnut. He said he couldn't tell for sure without seeing it in person.
Thanks again.

Weekend_Sawyer

I thought elm too.
Whatever it is those are nice looking boards!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Wudman

How about locust?  An up close end grain could confirm or deny.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Georgia088

Well, I took a piece of the wood to the local guy that I feel is extremely knowledgeable about wood. He said the pictures didn't depict the wood very well. im kinda embarrassed to say, but he said he thought it was either sweet gum or popular. The tree has been dead some time so I never saw the leaves. I have sawn some sweet gum before and it didn't look like this, but I'm far from an expert. I was extremely dissapointed to say the least after he suggested it may possibly be black walnut from the pictures.

nativewolf

well it wasn't black walnut, didn't have time to reply to that but...it isn't.

However, if that is sweetgum..then that is nice looking sweetgum.  That nice brown center, and that bark...had me thinking maybe honey locust? or ?  Bark is strange..it is not poplar, poplar heart won't be so brown, bark does not look like that at all, unless picture is crazy. 

They are nice looking boards.  A close up of the end grain will tell much more.
Liking Walnut

Southside

I have seen black gum with heart wood that looks like that. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

nativewolf

Yes, ok that would make more sense, nyssa sylvatica, not the l.s.  That would be about right.  Very tough durable wood if that is what it is.
Liking Walnut

Southside

And in one or two of the pictures the bark looks right for black gum, at least the little I have seen. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Georgia088

I will post more pictures tom if it will help. I have never heard much good said about sweet gum lumber. Would black gum be about the same? I actually thought it was an oak and was going to use it for flooring for a playhouse for my kids. Could this still be possible?

DelawhereJoe

The blackgum we have around here has a very light color to the wood, an easy way to tell if its blackgum is to try to split it with an axe. If its sweetgum it will be hard to split and if its blackgum basically you will have to rip the wood apart by the grain its a very jagged split. Do you know how long the tree has been felled or is there any chance of finding a leaf still holding onto a branch ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Southside

I have seen sweet gum used in a random wood floor and it worked fine.  Remember there was a day when monster spruce were felled only to provide a soft landing for the kings white pine.  The "junk wood" spruce were left there to rot after. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Georgia088

Here are a few more pictures.

bluthum

No offense but your pics just aren't very descriptive. But it looks to me like sweet gum. Sweet gum has a lot of different uses, you just have to use it appropriately. It isn't very rot resistant and is prone to warp but I've used it for siding and flooring for out buildings. Success  or not is in the details.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tobryant1

I concur it does look like sweet gum.  It can be used to build with as long as it is not directly exposed to the elements.  I used to think that gum could only be used to make railroad ties after heavy chemical treatment with creosote. But we have used a few boards here and there in some of the old barns my father and I built over the years.
Tennessee is the place for me

Massey Ferguson 2705e
Woodmizer LT15 go Diesel (sold)
Timberking 1400 Diesel
Timberking 2000 Diesel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with 5.9 Cummins

Thank You Sponsors!