iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Post and beam drying

Started by frodersf, November 08, 2011, 11:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frodersf

I am wanting to build a post and beam barn with trees cut off my property.  My question is, can I cut them all at one time even if it takes me a year to put them together or will shrinkage cause a big problem?

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.

Shrinkage will happen as the posts dry out, and that may become a problem for you if the shrinkage causes twisting and warping.

Interested in hearing about your post and beam project. What species are you working with, and what size trees are you cutting up?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

frodersf

Still in the planning stage.  Planning on using tulip poplar because that is what I have.  Size ranging from 10" to 30" in diameter.  Currently doing as much research as I can.  Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Den Socling

The dryer they get the more stable they will be. Drop them anytime. Just don't let them decay. Keep them off the ground.

T Welsh

frodersf, About 5 years ago I was hired to resaw old factory timbers to build a post and beam barn. they where 125 years old. we sawed and put it together within 2 months time with no issues. Using poplar is OK, as long as you use butt logs with no knots. box the heart in the beams and you should have no problems. Its a very easy wood to work with. the issue as to work with it green or seasoned, could better be answered by the timber framing section guy,s they have done it both ways and could tell you the short comes and wind falls of both ways. like Den said, keep poplar off ground and no longer than 1 year maximum. they rot fast in the elements. I have lost a few logs that have been (stored) this way,keep them dry! Tim

Dave Shepard

I just raised a white pine frame this weekend. I cut the timbers 9/09, and there were a few that had twisted a little, but only one required any work to get them together. I'd cut the joinery as soon as possible, and select as straight a log as possible to help reduce the risk of stresses moving the timber during an extended storage period.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

Something else to consider, if it takes a long time to do the joinery, raise the frame and get it enclosed, sunlight can turn some of the timbers gray. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!