iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MULE LOGGING!!

Started by Tom, November 18, 2008, 12:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wi woodcutter

My mother has a riding mule-seeing that show just makes me think!
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

loggjamm

Hi, new to this forum. Usually stick to sawing and milling. I saw ( :D )that show on mule logging, it was great. I have a question for you guys; how exactly does that side loader work? What engages that thing to lift, and then stop at the top and then lower back down? I've done some crazy things but that just looks dangerous.
    Thanks, loggjamm.....
lt40hd, jd compact tractor, clark forklift, vizsla dog.

Mooseherder

Welcome loggjamm :) (great name)
Even with all the warnings I managed to miss the Mule episode. :(
I hope there will be some reruns. :D

thecfarm

Did I see one of the Butt brothers on there?  :D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dale Hatfield

I thought I heard him say one of them long ears name was Roxie?????
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

pineywoods

Loggjam, that side loader is usually a home-made rube-goldberg contraption that operates with pulleys and cables hooked to a winch (probably home-made)  mounted right behind the cab. The winch runs off a pto on the truck transmission. Hand operated clutch to engage or dis-engage the winch.  I've worked on a few in my younger years.  Can supply lots of details if'n you want to build your own  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

zopi

I was surfing around reading about mule and ox logging...saw some comments by Jason Rutledge...apparently DISC approached him about doing it but they decided he wasn't thrilling enough...he may get some time on one of the "green" shows though..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

thedeeredude

Saw that too zopi.  Over on RH forum.  Cfarm, I believe it was the Butt brothers again from their first appearance on Dirty Jobs.  I didn't see the show and could really care less knowing who was on it. :)  Just my humble opinion.

zopi

I kind of dig the forecart arches...like a logrite arch with a seat on top..make the drag easier on the animals..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

timberfaller390

Quote from: zopi on November 23, 2008, 12:47:00 AM
I kind of dig the forecart arches...like a logrite arch with a seat on top..make the drag easier on the animals..
Yeah those are pretty cool. Brandt Einsworth who writes the horse and ox logging coloumn in Rural Heritage magazine, has one with a diesel engine and winch. Oh yeah  his team of oxen are named Timber and Jack.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

loggjamm

Hey, Pineywoods, thanks for the offer, but my loggin' days are over. ( I hope!) I'll stick to millin' thank you very much. p.s. this forestry forum is the best!!!
lt40hd, jd compact tractor, clark forklift, vizsla dog.

timberfaller390

hey pineywoods, some technical details on a side loader would be great
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Dale Hatfield

They must have bought all new PPE for the show. LOL  They all looked brand new .
They stunt they pulled when they cut the tree the felled one was hung into.
He should have yelled in in best uneducated Jeff foxworthy voice HEY Yall come watch this.
A poor shot at drama and another Black eye for loggers
Chainsaw Carver

timberfaller390

Quote from: Dale Hatfield on November 24, 2008, 08:51:38 PM
They must have bought all new PPE for the show. LOL  They all looked brand new .
They stunt they pulled when they cut the tree the felled one was hung into.
He should have yelled in in best uneducated Jeff foxworthy voice HEY Yall come watch this.
A poor shot at drama and another Black eye for loggers
I will agree about them cutting the hanger out.
Whether the PPE was new or not doesn't matter to me. I'm just glad to see guy's running a small operation in Appalachia wear anything but boots and ball caps. Most don't give PPE a thought.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Corley5

The house infection owners next door had their 10 acres high graded a couple weeks ago and the guy doing the falling was completely bald.  I know that because he didn't have any kind of a hat on  ::) let alone chaps or eye protection.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dale Hatfield

I guess  my point being is. Its new and not used and I doubt that it gets used again.
If they were really worried about safety they would have pulled down the hanger  and moved on. But thats not how it was handled.  That was a complete disregard for safety .
Chainsaw Carver

pineywoods

Quote from: timberfaller390 on November 23, 2008, 08:05:15 PM
hey pineywoods, some technical details on a side loader would be great

Here's how the sidewinder loader was usually constructed. All I ever saw were home-made out of whatever materials were available. Two of these mounted about 7 or 8 feet apart. The winch cable off both loader arms go to the same winch drum.

Very few had factory built winches. Usually like this..Mounted across the frame rails right behind the cab. The actuator lever and master cylinder usually mounted close by, wherever was convienent.

With this setup, crank truck, engage pto, and leave the truck idleing, the drive mechanism runs continuously. The winch drum side will apply just enough tension to keep the slack out of the cables, and the operator side will spin freely. Locking the free-spinning drum causes differential action to apply full torque to the winch drum. There is NO BRAKE available.
Release the lever and the whole works will fall..
Looks dangerous, but I never heard of anybody getting hurt with one.

Later edit.   Probably would work well with an electric winch
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

zopi

Log chuckin'...I'll stick with the slow stuff...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

ronnie tucker

there is a shop in savannah tn that makes side loaders i have used their loaders i like them best when they started making them it was named the loggers pal i hire my hauling now with the mules i only have the saw motor to worry with ronnie tucker tn logger   the one used in the show was a savannah loader

Banjo picker

Quote from: ronnie tucker on March 08, 2009, 11:57:55 PM
there is a shop in savannah tn that makes side loaders i have used their loaders i like them best when they started making them it was named the loggers pal i hire my hauling now with the mules i only have the saw motor to worry with ronnie tucker tn logger   the one used in the show was a savannah loader

Welcome to the forum Ronnie ,  Where bouts it Tn. are you from?  I live just across the line in Ms. over about Iuka.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

ronnie tucker

i am located at paris tn ronnie tucker

fishpharmer

I really enjoyed the mule logging shows. 

Welcome to ForestryForum   Ronnie Tucker  its a great place.

8) 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Banjo picker

Quote from: ronnie tucker on March 10, 2009, 12:47:00 AM
i am located at paris tn ronnie tucker

Ronnie my wifes sister and her hubby live in Paris.  R. Parker is him name he worked at the hospital till he retired a few years ago.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!