iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mud season!

Started by Woodhauler, December 07, 2015, 11:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Haven't seen a fall like this in awhile! Hauling about a third of what I should be hauling. Temps in high 20s at nite, mid 40s during day. Next 10 days and maybe longer looks the same. Got one load this morning, came home and stacked a cord of firewood and now I'm cleaning a dozen guns. Guess I will have to start hauling nights if it stays cold. >:(
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

sawguy21

Similar weather here. We are getting the spill over from large storms hitting the coast, not much happening in the bush today.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Outer Rondacker

I am not even cutting. Its so soft at the moment. I too can be found at the wood pile in a T-shirt. Not really sure how I feel about that one.

Ken

I'm in the same boat.  Reserved a property for this time of year because it is beside a subdivision and I assumed things should be starting to tighten up good right about now.  Oops.  I'm going to have to stop forwarding as I'm out of room, can't get trucks in without a battle, forwarder wading to the axles and the next 10 days doesn't look any better.   Maybe it will help a bit with the high inventory at many of the local mills.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Firewoodjoe

Same here but my truck is still giving me problems involving a rebuild engine, new turbo, compressor and injectors all in the last few months and it's now blowing blue smoke and loosing antifreeze. There thinking a head gasket and possible injector problems. Ahhhh!

JBlain

No question on the mud.  We have a thinning going on in a nice mixed oak Poplar stand my wife and i own and the loggers dozer lost a track at the top of the ridge.  1 skidder and another dozer stuck and they called it for a few weeks.  Thinning the 40 acre stand from 10,000 bd ft acre down to about 6,500 to increase growth and get some regeneration initiated.   
Josh

Ed_K

I'm thinking this weather won't change till after Christmas. So I'm just cutting and skidding when I can. I worried of cutting a bunch of wood and it snows and I won't find it, but not this fall. Been on side hill all summer and now I'm getting close to flat areas which are wet so I'm wishing for freeze up  :D .
Ed K

Woodhauler

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on December 07, 2015, 05:35:36 PM
Same here but my truck is still giving me problems involving a rebuild engine, new turbo, compressor and injectors all in the last few months and it's now blowing blue smoke and loosing antifreeze. There thinking a head gasket and possible injector problems. Ahhhh!
What engine?
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

g_man

We had a pretty good frost yesterday and today, 21 degrees this morning. Enough so I could work until noon with my small tractor.

coxy

put in 5 tandem loads of rock in the haul road today hope it holds   the landings not bad    but new skid road is taking a beating will have to dig more out of the bank to fill in the low spots   don't mind this weather if it was only dry  :)

chevytaHOE5674

We aren't able to haul any wood. But we are still cutting and stacking it roadside. When it finally does freeze up our trucker will have a couple hundred cords of pulpwood and a few thousand BDFT of logs to get hauled out.

barbender

We were just barely starting to freeze, after a 3 day soaker rain, but now what frost we had is coming back out.  CTL definitely makes it easier to get the wood out on marginal ground, but the trucks still have to get to it. We've been cutting off of our summer sale inventories, not a good situation. But, the mills will be wide open once the ground freezes.
Too many irons in the fire

CCC4

We never have a freeze up here. Friday is supposed to hit mid 70's. It's wet but my cutting pard and I have set us up for a 20+ load week, hoping for 30...but one can only wish! (Christmas shopping to think about)

Spartan

Quote from: CCC4 on December 07, 2015, 10:08:24 PM
We never have a freeze up here. Friday is supposed to hit mid 70's. It's wet but my cutting pard and I have set us up for a 20+ load week, hoping for 30...but one can only wish! (Christmas shopping to think about)

That sounds nice, I plowed drifts in 30 mph winds today because it snowed on friday.  One truck had to stay up there all weekend because the road blew shut after it came in on saturday.

Grandpa

We are at a standstill here, it started to freeze then warmed up and rained.
The 10 day forecast does not inspire confidence.

Woodhauler

another day, another no dollar!! Going to pay a few bills today and make a truck payment so I can keep it another month! ;D

Firewoodjoe

Woodhauler. It's a Detroit 14L series 60. Cracked head:/ ran like 5 loads after it was rebuilt. They sent the head out and had it checked. Guess it's just bad luck. Days like this I'm glad I work for someone still.

Gearbox

Woodhauler our 7 day forcast say's mid20 s nite 40's days so we won't be sending you any cold . We can't spare any . Sure has been easy on the wood pile . One wheelbarrow for 24 hrs
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

grassfed

I started trying to get a skid trail built to a wet area about 2 weeks ago and then it rained and warmed up. There is so much water down there now that it is going to need single digits if not below zero for several nights before I can get back down with the skidder. I am thinking about packing my saws down on foot and cutting and limbing everything so when it does freeze I can spend my time skidding. Of course if I do that it probably wont freeze all winter.  :-\
Mike

timberlinetree

This fall is a muddy mess. The forester used pic from the 30's to locate cow paths( which are dryer I guess) to make our skid roads but right now they are really wet.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Corley5

We've got mud too and it's raining right now.  We've been out of the woods for a while with other things going on and firewood truck issues but are ready to go back in but trucking will be an issue now until things finally freeze up.
  The 7.3 in my 550 has always been sick and finally gave up.  I found a donor truck and we're swapping engines right now.  I had the auto tranny in my old Cummins rebuilt in the late spring early summer and it failed  ::) >:(  It's being covered under warranty but that doesn't cover my lost truck time.  I keep two trucks for a reason and having both broke at once really sucks. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

timberlinetree

That stinks! Hope you get running soon. Was thinking yesterday while splitting wood for us it hasn't really been to bad until recently.little while back I was delivering a load and Marcia went to the job to meet me and fill the little pickup with wood. She called and said she stuck. I thought were the heck did she find a mud hole? When I got there the front right was down in what I thought was a hole. Jumped in and yup she was stuck. I used her phone flashlight to see how deep it was and flat tire whole thru the side no mud. She also smoked the back tire that was on a rock trying to get out but she is really pretty and .... Happens so just another day. So  think for us it hasn't been that bad of a fall but the start of winter(has winter started?)  :-\
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

repmma

Mid 40's or higher for the next week, showers today and sounds like heavy rain on monday.  Just isnt getting any better for you Woodhauler.  Dang El Nino!
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

snowstorm

Quote from: Corley5 on December 09, 2015, 09:44:04 AM
  We've got mud too and it's raining right now.  We've been out of the woods for a while with other things going on and firewood truck issues but are ready to go back in but trucking will be an issue now until things finally freeze up.
  The 7.3 in my 550 has always been sick and finally gave up.  I found a donor truck and we're swapping engines right now.  I had the auto tranny in my old Cummins rebuilt in the late spring early summer and it failed  ::) >:(  It's being covered under warranty but that doesn't cover my lost truck time.  I keep two trucks for a reason and having both broke at once really sucks.
what happened to the 7.3?

petefrom bearswamp

Checked a job on my property near Corning NY 2 days ago.
Mud nearly to the belly pan on one  stretch of skid trail in a very flat area but the woods are holding up well.
Natural gas pipeline being crossed by temp bridge
Hope it freezes soon. but not likely
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!