iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My gafner mini skidder and currant job pics

Started by logman81, January 23, 2016, 02:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Thought I'd share some pics of my skidder on my current job and my firewood processing setup. 

Precision Firewood & Logging

mad murdock

Looks good LM81!  How much do you figure your average drag sizes up? I think that that thing is not a lot different size wise than the Garrett 10 or 15.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

logman81

I always fill all four chokers!  I've pulled a 585bft hitch before. I try to take it easy on it she's a old girl. It's a little bigger than a garrette model 10.

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

logman81

Thank you it's the perfect setup for small lots.

Logger RK

I also think it's a nice setup. Would any one know about older Iron Mule short wood Skidders? A friend of mine was asking me about a clutch problem he's having. I don't know anything about them but told him I bet somebody on here would. He said he adjusted the clutch so it had some free play in the peddle,went & brought out a skid & no free play. I haven't looked at it yet,but he say it's built like a tractor style I guess. He was wondering if a linkage could've slipped,or just needs a new clutch? I guess the motor has to b pulled to get at the clutch. I think he said it was like a old Massey tractor design?

logman81

Most of the machines gafner made used massey or ford components.  If you can get a picture it would help. The early ones where massey tractor based. My skidder is based on massey and unimog.

Logger RK

Pretty sure he told me Massey. When I get over his way I'll get a picture (taking the picture will b the easy part,getting it on here might need the help of one of my Son's)& see if it has any tags of what it is.

mad murdock

I could tell you a bit about the old 'mules. My brothers and I bought a new one in the early 80's. Very nimble for a shortwood skidder. Based on a massey ferguson tractor. The 4501 we bought had the 3 cyl perkins with manual trans. It had a "locker" lever for the front axle if you really needed 4x4 otherwise normal ops was 3x4 drive. Gafner added a reverser and a hi-lo gearbox. It was real easy on fuel. Maybe 10 gal/day if you worked a real long day. About 1 1/2-1 3/4 cds per load was it. 20-30cd per day pretty normal production for us. Skidding with 2 hand cutters. Skidding behind a buncher you could do 30-40 a day.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

logman81

I'd like to have one of those forwarders, be handy to have.

logman81

Walked my third I'll be doing starting this spring after I do a ten acre tsi job that I'll be starting within the next week. It's a 50 acre lot with all nice mixed oaks, contains everything from saw logs to pole timber for firewood. 

logman81

Going to be a very busy guy this year,  taking the bull by the horns!

logman81

Got the call from the forester to do the walk through this coming Wednesday so I'll be starting this job very soon, nice little tsi job for my setup. Pictures soon to come!

mad murdock

Some nice looking hardwood stands there.  I hope you get a lot of high grade logs out of it. 8)

logman81

There is definitely some grade timber.im more after the firewood trees but I'll cut the logs if I have to lol!

Thank You Sponsors!